Dying front diff in my 2006? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replace the dust shield gaskets they are about $5ea. If the rubber seal is still in tact, reuse it, if its partial or torn replace them. I cant see the seal closely but they appear intact. I think if you want to POR15 them it would be fine. (No worries about high temps on that part)

Follow 2001LC process for cleaning the knuckle and spindle bearings- you can repack those needle bearings with your fingers.

@2001LC No offense taken. It’s a method I’ve used many times with success and no damage. It does run a higher risk than tapping away with a wooden dowel so I respect what you’re saying. I’ll keep doing it my way until it bites me in the butt and then I’ll remember your post and have a good laugh.

@SlowBuild I’m enjoying following along. Well done. Soon you’ll have a rig that you have 100% confidence in driving wherever you want to take it.

Replace the dust shield gaskets they are about $5ea. If the rubber seal is still in tact, reuse it, if its partial or torn replace them. I cant see the seal closely but they appear intact. I think if you want to POR15 them it would be fine. (No worries about high temps on that part)

Follow 2001LC process for cleaning the knuckle and spindle bearings- you can repack those needle bearings with your fingers.

Thanks abuck. I’m not sure that’s the same part. I’ll definitely replace the gaskets. I’m wondering about the ‘oil seal’:

37B9A7E4-51CD-4AAD-B510-4B62CC126ADE.jpeg

It also is marked ‘Non-reusable part’ but MSRP is $67.03/ea. (Part no. 90313-99001) Camelback has them for $49.17ea but it’s still pricey.

SlowB

Yeah I was referring to the same part- speaking to inspecting the thin rubber seal that sourrounds the edge of the “Oil Seal” you pictured -99001. If its not broken or cut- clean it up and reinstall it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with my diff tube (axle tube)? I took it off with the diff and it’s been sitting in my garage for a month, now I’m ready to clean it up and attach to the new diff. I don’t trust that it’s totally clean in there, especially the outboard end. I have a new axle seal to go in but the old one looks fine. I don’t want to pull the bearing because it looks like a PITA. I just am hoping for a way to flush it out. FSA doesn’t have too much info on this. If I pull the seal does the shaft just come out? Is the seal easy to get back in? Looks like this part is not usually serviced. I also need to clean FIPG off the end that meets the diff but I guess I should avoid getting brake cleaner or dried FIPG in the tube.

@spressomon I know has dealt with this (a decade ago). Mine looks just like his in the photos below except I’ve now separated the tube to bolt on my new diff.

Any suggestions?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The bearing is bathed in diff lube so unless you have 150K or many more miles on her (I actually do not know the life expectancy of this bearing though; just a guess) I'd leave the bearing alone and just swap in a new seal. OTOH if you are going to PM the bearing its easy to replace. After the seal there is a snap ring that holds the shaft in place. The bearing is held to the shaft by a circlip.

Thank you @spressomon I think I'll leave the bearing alone. Once I pull the seal I'll just make sure its good and clean in there before I put a new seal and reassemble. If need be I suppose I can disassemble, pull the shaft and flush it all out but I think thats overkill and would likely just invite more trouble than what I'll be preventing. I'm excited to get this all back together and see how she drives!

What do you all think of these?:

30FD1D91-A40C-4013-AD20-D2D59E0EA5F2.jpeg
C851D99D-2964-4D5C-880B-EBFD73232D77.jpeg

These first two photos are opposite sides of the same end of my front sway bar. I’ve already scraped it and tried a little naval jelly for a few minutes with little effect. I’m not sure if it’s worth cleaning it up more or not. I’ve read the thread discussing this link and I remember @2001LC conclusion that the bushing retains the swaybay and it’s okay for the hole to be worn larger as long as the faces of the seat are flat in the bar and the edges that locate the bushing are clean. Mine don’t look flat or clean. What do you think? Will this bar just eat up my new bushings or can I get away with this? New bar is $115

Last photo is the front diff tube support bracket:

B1C94D92-6980-493C-8DBB-8A76F2128418.jpeg

I’m replacing the bushings and retainers of the two diff brackets but this bushing is not replaceable so I was planning to leave it. However, I just noticed it’s worn enough that I can see daylight through. I think that’s meant to be solid. Will this cause too much flex in my front driveline and destroy my new front drive shaft splines or else the splines in my new diff? Again, what do you all think? New bracket w/ bolts & nuts is $138

I was hoping to put this all back together tomorrow but I may have to eat another $260 and put it off a few more days. Disappointing. We’re expecting a new baby any minute now so my availability to work on this will be severely limited. Also, I’m not sure how easily our other car can fit three car seats....

I'd replace that stabilizer bar too. Although it will work, it will not last long and will reduce life of links.

A new differential "support (IIRC)" bushing # 52380-60040 is not solid, so you'll see day light. Twist it hard and see if the solid rubber parts (front & rear) are split. If not keep it, it is easiest to replace anytime.
002.JPG

Oh Congrats on number three!

Thank you!

Here’s a couple better shots of the differential support assembly with a light behind:

3C0473AA-EDBC-4A45-A88A-F1B5C3189F0A.jpeg
7C5A94F7-5B38-4927-B0A7-15FD396D4135.jpeg

My phone photos aren’t the best but at 6 o’clock, below the grommet, it looks like the bushing is meant to be solid there but I do think it’s torn. I can’t see light through other than that spot so I don’t think it’s designed that way.

Your 12 & 6 o'clock are designed that way! What you see is a thin lip leftover from casing the bushing.

What I can't see is if this is rip in the solid part of bushing. By twisting it will reveal rips.
7C5A94F7-5B38-4927-B0A7-15FD396D4135.jpeg

Like this one, which has some life left:
022.JPG

023.JPG

Here is the front bushing IIRC it's called the "stop", which is shot and needs replacing. Also not solid:
Bushing Frt Diff frt removed (3).JPG
Bushing Frt Diff frt removed (4).JPG

Scored a 06 LC (untouched Jewell restoration) Starting at post #178 is my first R&R of front differential bushings. You'll also see in post # 178 a link to a thread on front diff bushing replacement.

Note: Burning out bushing with torch, was just waste of time I felt. When doing job on bench as opposed to in vehicle.

Last edited:
Bump? I know it's been >4 years but maybe bump for a summary from @SlowBuild of the finish (related to Front Diff anyway...). I have a front diff issue and I've been reading as many threads as possible while I wait to tear into it and was disappointed not to get the finish here.

Cheers!
rj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom