Duracool-12A (TM), Envirosafe (TM), RedTek (TM), FrostyCool (TM) AKA Hydrocarbon AC Refrigerants (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AC still working well for you @mrlocksmith ? Mine hasnt been used in 15 years. Looks like the compressor still works.
Was thinking about buying a few cans of the duracool to take with me when I get it worked on. I imagine they'll need to replace the gaskets and such.

Jason:

I would suggest replacing all the gaskets as well. Please know that your AC shop may have some reservations in using a hydrocarbon regfigerant. Secondly it's use according to the EPA is only for vehicles that have first been converted to R134a. These details are in the write-up.

Good Luck

Mark

Jason:

I would suggest replacing all the gaskets as well. Please know that your AC shop may have some reservations in using a hydrocarbon regfigerant. Secondly it's use according to the EPA is only for vehicles that have first been converted to R134a. These details are in the write-up.

Good Luck

Mark

got it. thanks

> it's use according to the EPA is only for vehicles that have first been converted to R134a<

Huh, I wonder why that is. Given that the molecules are larger than both 134a and R12, you would think leaking would be less of an issue. I wonder if it has something to do with oil compatibility. I'll have to take a looksee again at the writeup and Duracool's site. Thought I had read that it's still compatible with mineral oil, but now I want to make double sure. Either way, I've got all new seals and O-rings in my system as of two years ago, so hopefully none of those are leaking and it's just my compressor. Still gotta get it in to get it leak checked.

Huh, I wonder why that is. Given that the molecules are larger than both 134a and R12, you would think leaking would be less of an issue. I wonder if it has something to do with oil compatibility. I'll have to take a looksee again at the writeup and Duracool's site. Thought I had read that it's still compatible with mineral oil, but now I want to make double sure. Either way, I've got all new seals and O-rings in my system as of two years ago, so hopefully none of those are leaking and it's just my compressor. Still gotta get it in to get it leak checked.

You are correct. Technically it is all compatible. The EPA in its wisdom applies and enforces a political policy here. According to them a legal hydrocarbon retrofit must have been converted from R12 to R134a that means it has to have R134a valves, seals and must-have formerly been filled with R134a. Can you technically go from R12 straight to Hydrocarbon..... Yes it works fine..... It is not a legal retrofit though according to the EPA.

Last edited:
Update: It is 113F now here in Vegas and the AC works as well as any of my other vehicles with less strain on the motor. I still have to turn it off while trying to climb up steep freeway passes while loaded up but that is nothing new when you have a heavy expo-style rig with the OEM 2F motor. Overall I am happy with the result.

Last edited:
AC still working well for you @mrlocksmith ? Mine hasnt been used in 15 years. Looks like the compressor still works.
Was thinking about buying a few cans of the duracool to take with me when I get it worked on. I imagine they'll need to replace the gaskets and such.

AC IS WORKING FINE BEEN USING IT TO DEFROST THE WINDOWS ! NO LEAKS IN THE SYSTEM !

Glad it's still holding up Mark, my 93 pick up A/C system finally quit so when time comes to retrofit I might give this a shot then
update the 60 when that hits the fan at some point. :cheers:

I converted mine to r12a last year and I live in West Texas where temps get up to 110 in the summer and I will say it definitely gets cold. I cranked it up today and it is still nice and cold. One other great thing is when I ordered my denso compressor, it came with mineral oil and r12a is compatible with it so I didn’t have to change it. I ordered an OEM dryer from Toyota and was good to go.

I converted mine to r12a last year and I live in West Texas where temps get up to 110 in the summer and I will say it definitely gets cold. I cranked it up today and it is still nice and cold. One other great thing is when I ordered my denso compressor, it came with mineral oil and r12a is compatible with it so I didn’t have to change it. I ordered an OEM dryer from Toyota and was good to go.

Glad to hear that you got the performance you were looking for. I hope this write up quells some of the angst out there about Hydrocarbon Refrigerants. Especially now that they are approved for use in homes as 150g charges in refrigerators. The new synthetic refrigerants H-152 1,1-Difluoroethane ( Computer Duster ) and HF-1234yf are flammable as well and nobody seems as concerned as they do about hydrocarbons which have way better efficiencies.

Wow ! 6000+ views ... Maybe time to be posted as a Sticky !!!!!

Last edited:
@Mace

Sticky Please ! Thanks

One nice reason for living near the border with Mexico is all the R12 you need can be had at several A/C shops in Tijuana.
Pro Tip: Have your A/C done in Fall or Winter. Spring / Summer...the service lines for cars are rapped around the corner.

I wonder what the cost is from Mexico? You can get Duracool for $8.99 in single cans, price goes down when you buy more. Amazon has Envirosafe for $32.00 for 6 cans with free shipping. Just evacuate the R12 and you are good to go. AND you don't need to worry about customs.

The R134 leaked out of my '94 FZJ80 due to a bad hose and condenser. After replacing both and verifying that there were no other leaks using nitrogen to pressurize the system, I charged the system with Envirosafe hydrocarbon refrigerant following their recommendations. I found a significant improvement over the R134 in the performance of the system. That was over five years ago and it is still going strong with no further attention the the system.

Is Envirosafe compatible with the R134a oil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom