dually wheels on a series 60 rear axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I got a Hilux 4x4 camper with series 60 rear axle. Due to the heavy load I would like to put 16'' dually wheels on that rear axle but have troube finding rims the clear the drum breaks for the inner dually.
Has someone done this sort of modification before?
Any info is much appriciated!
Cheers

See what those Toyota-based RVs (Dolphin is one) are using...

I have not seen it on a 60 axle but it was designed to pull 5000 kilogram, pretty heavy and rough build.
Most heavy duty 4x4 tires can carry so much load, also when one wheel is off the ground, it is no problem.
Michelin XZL 7.5016, Load Rating 116 = 950 kg/wheel

16" XL tires are 3300#/ tire, so 6600# total tire capacity. Pretty sure the GAWR is less than that, so doubling the tire capacity will only tempt further overloading of the axle.

In the USA, Toyota sold a few 1-ton dually HiLux C&C trucks for commercial use. They used a FF rear axle with drums and dual wheels. So the parts you seek do exist in the Toyota global catalogue.

Well total weight is in the range of 3t for the rig and most of it is on the rear axle. Therefore they originally came with a fake floating rear axle and duallys. However mine got modified at some stage with a series 60 axle and single wheels running on 50psi 8ply pirelli tyres 245/70R16. and the rig feels really floaty. Too much weight on the rear axle and the foot print in not big enough. So going for duallys and min 12ply tiers is my goal to spread the load and improve ride comfort

I know that there is 1t Toyota dually axles out there and other RV's on duallys. However I first would like to see if I can’t make it work with what I got and that is a series 60 axle.

this one is like mine just with single wheels at the back
88 Toyota Hilux Global Galaxy 4x4 camper

88_hilux_4x4_1kz_camp_03.JPG

88_hilux_4x4_1kz_camp_04.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom