Dual CAI Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't see the problem with it as long as you are moving down the road, the eng. heat is drawn down towards the road with air movement.

while stopped in heavy traffic for long periods of time...I don't know, only time will tell...

I have tested many home made idea's of my own and none have been better than the OEM set up...

why hasn't anyone tried just going straight up from the filter to the hood with a 'shaker hood' kind of a setup....

Personally that is one thing I never did. I took engines apart but never looked at the intake as most of the time I was putting a higher perfomance one on anyway.

So it's a possiblity that those intakes may not be squeaky clean! Do a search on Powderpig and K&N and you'll see the reference to fine particles of dust that he found in the intake runners after running a K&N filter for a while.

I used to run a K&N a couple years ago... I took the intake apart to clean the throttle body, and I found a TON of oil. I never re-oiled the filter, for the record.

Replaced it with a paper filter, the oil never came back.

However, I run an AFM, not a MAF. Lucky me. :hillhilly:

So it's a possiblity that those intakes may not be squeaky clean! Do a search on Powderpig and K&N and you'll see the reference to fine particles of dust that he found in the intake runners after running a K&N filter for a while.

Well it's always a possibility but my point was we didn't have any adverse effects from them. I do believe that the OEM does filter better but i'm saying that if it isn't the end of the world if K&N filters are used.

I agree, I actually lightly oil my filters, let them sit and then use my shopvac to push air out the filter and wipe them down before mounting them. Each time I clean my filters I also spray my MAF sensor with CRC Sensor Cleaner.

I've got a sneaking feeling that I pay more attention to my filtering than some of the OEM loyalist. But I didn't post the mod to get into any arguments. Only to let the forum know of the mod and that it is working well for me. I'll keep monitoring it and trust me if it turns out bad I'll be the first to post up that I made a mistake.

Based on all of the feedback though I may try to mod a total enclosure for the dual CAI and see how that works. Guess I've got too much time on my hands!

Thanks for the motivation guys!

I have to agree with Ebag333 here. We've been looking at various ways to improve the intake on these trucks for a couple of months now and all in all, the OEM setup is designed really well. There's literally no better way to get COLDER air in than the OEM setup. We do have a few ideas to open up the intake and allow the air to get in with less restriction, but as far as colder air, you won't do better than the OEM setup on these trucks.

What about a snorkel? :D

I sure would like to see what the snorkel would be like. It's a bit pricey though plus requires some cutting, yes?

I like the part where they show the dirty foam filter, and then the clean paper/gauze filter, and then claim the clean filter somehow stopped more dirt/dust.... :whoops:
If you looks through all the test results, I think it is the Wix filter that filters the best.

If you looks through all the test results, I think it is the Wix filter that filters the best.

I did. Little information is actually given. The site is one big sales pitch, which is about to be expected, but can hardly be called unbiased.

Their claim that paper filters better than foam is a riot, especially when they "prove" it by which filter is dirtier.

Nothing wrong with paper filters, they can do just fine. I've yet to personally experience a paper filter doing better than foam, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom