Drum Brake Shoe Liner Cracking - Replace or OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
I put 1,000 miles on the new to me ‘69 40 last summer/fall. No hiccups. I had performed a post purchase inspection of the drum brakes and to my pleasant surprise, everything looked freshly replaced. I adjusted everything and enjoyed proper braking performance until i parked the truck and left town for work for 4 months.

Returned home to no brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, it had all leaked down onto the drivers floorboard :(. Life got in the way but i ordered rebuild kits for the brake and clutch cylinders. Got all three rebuilt this weekend, and decided to take another look at the brakes before i spent a bunch of time bleeding brakes. Drivers rear drum coated in diff oil and liners soaked :(. More parts on order.

Everything else looked OK, but the shoe liners on the rear passenger had some cracking. Would like to get another couple thousand out of these shoe liners before i swap in a late model FJ40 rear axle. Am i a fool for thinking these are OK to run with the cracking shown?

C10078D7-CFDC-4671-9DC5-3FCE85836C48.jpeg
E106D4A8-936D-4C4C-9141-C3C65919C462.jpeg
31735A79-3017-46FF-AAE8-D786783635C5.jpeg

So my 40 was sitting since 2010+. and everything was dry. Moving it, I felt like something was binding. Passenger rear brake lower shoe was delaminated. Driver front was full of crud. PIA getting the front drums off. Dremel tool with 1/4" sanding drum removed the crud on the hub allowing the drum to come off with a few smacks with the lead hammer. I had one on the front delaminate while I was driving home. back in the 80's.

I just got a new set of shoes from Napa locally for $50. Glued only. I ordered a piloted end mill, so I can rivet the shoes after drilling a hole. I plan to test the theory on the used good shoe - If it works I'm going to do 4 rivets in each shoe, then install the shoes on the front - pick the best shoes to modify and install on the rear.

fine to run since it’s parking brake but they will separate/flake apart at some point. Might as well swap when it’s convenient.
Sorry, not parking brake shoe, this is pass rear shoe liner posted. Will replace. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom