Driving with no front drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody!first and foremost here’s to a kick ass weekend. So I’m getting down to finding a vibration I have in my 62 and was curious as to whether I could do a few things to narrow the search. I want to eliminate the tranny or transfer case as a source of the noise so I want to remove the front drive shaft and then get the rig up to speed. Is there a procedure for doing this (besides removing the shaft) that I should be aware of. The shaft will only be off for maybe twenty minutes. Thanks everyone.

No special procedure. Remove and drive. Removing the front drive shaft will eliminate/identify if the front diff is the issue. Typically the front drive shaft is not rotating in 2 high. So noise is most likely tranny/ transfer or rear drive shaft/ rear diff. Front drive shaft only engages in 4H/4L.

Also check your wheel bearings for play.

No special procedure. Remove and drive. Removing the front drive shaft will eliminate/identify if the front diff is the issue. Typically the front drive shaft is not rotating in 2 high. So noise is most likely tranny/ transfer or rear drive shaft/ rear diff. Front drive shaft only engages in 4H/4L.
Thanks a ton.

significantly unbalanced front tires will cause vibration at speed

significantly unbalanced front tires will cause vibration at speed
The strangest thing is that it goes away if I lock the hubs. It happens at about 40mph and then goes away. It lasts about two seconds and then gone If I lock the hubs it doesn’t happen at all

That’s how it felt when my hubs were loose. Get a star washer and lock nut kit, a hub socket, a fish scale, snap ring pliers and the factory service manual.

That’s how it felt when my hubs were loose. Get a star washer and lock nut kit, a hub socket, a fish scale, snap ring pliers and the factory service manual.
when you say thats how it felt do you mean trhe specific scenario of the vibe at about 40mph and the vibe lasting a few seconds? i have no other issues anywhere other than this vibe.

when you say thats how it felt do you mean trhe specific scenario of the vibe at about 40mph and the vibe lasting a few seconds? i have no other issues anywhere other than this vibe.

Exactly. A speed related shimmy that came and went.

Check the tightness of the front wheel bearings. If they're just a tad loose, the wheel can intermittently wobble a bit.

Lift the front of the truck off the truck and put jack stands under the frame. Get the wheels in the air and push on 12 and 6 clockings of the wheel. Try to rock it back and forth.

If you get a wobble, your wheel bearings are loose or worn.

Lift the front of the truck off the truck and put jack stands under the frame. Get the wheels in the air and push on 12 and 6 clockings of the wheel. Try to rock it back and forth.

If you get a wobble, your wheel bearings are loose or worn.
will do. thanks, i really appreciate the time and input of all you guys on here. i love a good community

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom