Driving in sand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad to learn about these tranny temp numbers in high. At 18psi I have never had an issue at Sandy Neck (Cape Cod). It's happier with the center diff locked. Will try lo range next trip (once the birds have fledged and it's back open)

Locking the center diff really does help.

Yesterday I was out there, and to do a test, I went onto a flat area, disengaged the center diff, and went out into the looser sand. As I went into the looser sand, I could definitely tell the truck was bogging down and I was decelerating a lot. Redid it with the center diff locked, and no bog down. I suppose it was due to the fact that the front tires were slipping and the back tires were still on good ground with a decent amount of traction, so the front tires lost their power.

it is interesting what one can do on sand with our multiple layers of traction aid.
Start in High or better Lo, then CDL, then rear, then front, then air pressure, getting farther with every one. Trick is to leave the last one for coming back... :)
I'll happily report that I have had great fun in the sand and never got stuck. Bogged down, yes, many times, often on purpose, but never stuck. (Admittedly, this was beach sand, not fech-fech or the like...)
I'll sadly report that my (built) 80 is much better than our (stock) 100 in the sand, though, for reasons that I'm not entirely clear about and which is a bit surprising.

Last edited:
The 100 has one thing against it: its a stinkin heavy pig. My 3500 lb toy pickup could bounce and hop it's way over or through anything. Light on it's feet and fun to off-road with. I have never felt like I could bounce, beat, hop or otherwise with my 100. It's more of a "let's think about this...choose a solid route....and slowly crawl my way through this trail and try not to break anything

Spent the day in Corolla in OBX. The low gear/20psi/CDL adjustments did great. Kept it at 10-15mph and had no issues with 10miles of sand driving. Some speed demons ended up getting stuck in their domestic pickups, which proves the points made earlier in this thread.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408405403.341749.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408405421.473975.jpg

No special tires are needed and it mostly plays out in the tire pressure.

Excellent to hear this. I will be taking my truck on the beach this weekend and have been wondering if special tires were needed. I have fairly new Michelin all seasons on there. I will be sure to deflate them, and lock the center diff.

Excellent to hear this. I will be taking my truck on the beach this weekend and have been wondering if special tires were needed. I have fairly new Michelin all seasons on there. I will be sure to deflate them, and lock the center diff.
I run the same tire. Air down. Lock her in lo gear an enjoy

I run the same tire. Air down. Lock her in lo gear an enjoy

Been on two beaches so far this weekend. Even today in rainy and super windy weather. Not a single issue. It felt grippy the entire time. Just aired down to 15PSI, locked the diff, and away we went.

Near the entrance, a park ranger stopped us and warned us not to drive up. He said:

“I’m warning you, the sand is really soft up there. If you get stuck, well, I’m on my way home, and if you call, no one’s comin’. I ain’t coming to get you out. I’ll see you in a few days... have fun!”

We went anyway. We made it all the way up, ate our dinner on the tailgate, and eventually headed back home. We were the only people there... along with a lot of seals... there were lots of seals. It was cold, rainy, and really windy, but it was a great experience, and I’m looking forward to more adventures with my Land Cruiser.

8008EBB4-FABC-4DAB-A46A-54CBFB48B19F.jpeg

Last edited:
Been on two beaches so far this weekend. Even today in rainy and super windy weather. Not a single issue the entire time. It felt grippy the entire time. Just aired down to 15PSI, locked the diff, and away we went.

Near the entrance, a park ranger stopped us and warned us not to drive up. He said:

“I’m warning you, the sand is really soft up there. If you get stuck, well, I’m on my way home, and if you call, no one’s comin’. I ain’t coming to get you out. I’ll see you in a few days... have fun!”
Can’t believe a Park ranger told u that. If u had gotten stuck he might, and I mean might make a call. Have never seen a ranger ever help someone buried up. I remember a time I had landed a “pig” and was releasing her and a ranger pulled up outta nowhere an said what a nice fish I released. Must of had his spyglass on me because there was no one in sight. Anywho he proceeded to get stuck and I proceeded to fish. He asked if I had a shovel and let him use it while I fished.
I run about 24lbs most of the time unless it gets sloppy and only once have I aired down below 18.

Carry on an enjoy
We went anyway. We made it all the way up, ate our dinner on the tailgate, and eventually headed back home. We were the only people there... along with a lot of seals... there were lots of seals. It was cold, rainy, and really windy, but it was a great experience, and I’m looking forward to more adventures with my Land Cruiser.

View attachment 1678254

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom