Driveshafts back from the shop...somethin' ain't right. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My measurements were truck on jack stands front 26 3/8 rear 42 1/2 (just a shade or 2 over but not sure what the actual numerical measurement would be)

Truck wheels on the ground front 26 3/4 rear for whatever reason had the same measurement. I measured a couple of times and it was fractionally the same.

I get the driveshafts today. Get home a little while ago and begin the installation and I have what looks to be at least 1/2 maybe a little over of space between the shaft flanges and the flanges on the truck. What I am saying is the driveshafts now look to be too short.
Anynone? Is this normal? I don't mind going back and telling the shop the problem but before I do I want to get my information in order. Do I need to bolt them up and try and drive around the block first or anything?

did you measure top of flange to top of flange?

Yeah, that's the measurement I did. Get this. I just got off the phone with the shop. They didn't even change the driveshafts. They just balanced and installed u-joints and painted the shafts. They said when they measured the shafts and according to the measurements I gave them the shafts would work just fine. I took driveshafts from an 87 FJ60. How could they not be any different at all?

This sounds normal to me, thats what the slip yoke is for....to slide longer or shorter based on suspension extension/compression. The concern is does the slip yoke have enough room to slip fore and aft so it doesn't bottom out (bad) or over extend where the driveshaft falls apart in two pieces (also bad).

The late model fj60 driveshafts should be plug n play without modification since you have essentially replicated the 60 transmission length/geometry to the 62. That's why they are used, typically no mods needed for length.

Well, I was probably over thinking it. I pulled the driveshafts off and there is quite a bit of slip left. I mean even if I jumped a Volkswagen there would be enough of the yoke left to not slip off. When I picked the shafts up of course there was no one there but a flunky who could tell me absolute zero about the work done. (Never go to any shop at lunch time) Of course this all comes from a lack of experience. It makes sense now that you say that that why would not bolt up tight. There would be no clearance at all. If I picked up a real fat chick and then hit a good size pothole on the way to the BBQ shack the drive shaft might just bottom out.

Well, I was probably over thinking it. I pulled the driveshafts off and there is quite a bit of slip left. I mean even if I jumped a Volkswagen there would be enough of the yoke left to not slip off. When I picked the shafts up of course there was no one there but a flunky who could tell me absolute zero about the work done. (Never go to any shop at lunch time) Of course this all comes from a lack of experience. It makes sense now that you say that that why would not bolt up tight. There would be no clearance at all. If I picked up a real fat chick and then hit a good size pothole on the way to the BBQ shack the drive shaft might just bottom out.

7F5F0497-A318-470E-8E30-E1E4AE37B910.jpeg

wait, you have a pair of driveshafts from an 87 FJ60? And you put a long (85-87) H42 into your FJ62, correct? If so those driveshafts are correct for your transmission. nothing to worry about

No worries, we all have a blond moment now and then.

My measurements were truck on jack stands front 26 3/8 rear 42 1/2 (just a shade or 2 over but not sure what the actual numerical measurement would be)

Truck wheels on the ground front 26 3/4 rear for whatever reason had the same measurement. I measured a couple of times and it was fractionally the same.

I get the driveshafts today. Get home a little while ago and begin the installation and I have what looks to be at least 1/2 maybe a little over of space between the shaft flanges and the flanges on the truck. What I am saying is the driveshafts now look to be too short.
Anynone? Is this normal? I don't mind going back and telling the shop the problem but before I do I want to get my information in order. Do I need to bolt them up and try and drive around the block first or anything?

generally , on a 60 series, if your suspension is drooped , the driveshaft id fully compressed. In other words it's hard if not impossible to remove with the axles hanging. the geometry of the 60 suspension extends the shaft as weight is set on it. If you measured with the suspension extended , that number should have been flange to flange with 1/2 ~3/4" wiggle room. The 40 are reverse. , the driveshaft extends with droop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom