Driveline slack question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80rodngun

GOLD Star
Threads
Going from park to reverse or park to drive seems like there is more than normal play/slack. I had new u-joints installed in front driveshaft but have the same issue. What’s a good method to locate where this play/slack is coming from?
C46E7A0C-68B7-44FF-B148-B76168FA600A.jpeg

Put the truck up on 4 jackstands and start moving things.

I'm not sure how much play you have but mine is minimal...

I have new driveshafts, front end is in great condition and all tight.

I too have a little slack when the driveline goes from loaded to unloaded and the truck is rolling like down a hill or coasting.

If I blip the throttle then there's a little clank that I can hear.

I couldn't find it & a local trusted "land cruiser a only" shop said it was normal, like that little bit of play is in the transfer case...

I'm interested to hear what others have to say as I notice it too and if I can remedy it that would be great.

Although I don't have a viscous coupler, maybe it could be that?

I also have the driveline clunk applying throttle when it is not loaded and when shifting between R P and D.

Interestingly enough mine is not present when the truck is cold, only when warm. I have checked for play in all the usual spots and can't find anything that seems obvious.

Following this thread as well.

Have the diffs been worked on or modified, auto locker?
I also have the driveline clunk applying throttle when it is not loaded and when shifting between R P and D.

Interestingly enough mine is not present when the truck is cold, only when warm. I have checked for play in all the usual spots and can't find anything that seems obvious.

Following this thread as well.

That sounds like diff(s). If it is, I would try fluid change, maybe thicker fluid, and / or fluid modifier.

Have the diffs been worked on or modified, auto locker?

That sounds like diff(s). If it is, I would try fluid change, maybe thicker fluid, and / or fluid modifier.

No work on the diffs and I have all of the service records from the PO. Fluid on the entire driveline was changed out after I purchased. Can't remember what viscosity I used but it would have been Valvoline in whatever flavor the FSM called for.

If it is a diff issue I will just wait till I regear and that should take care of it.

@enox description above is how mine is. I always thought it was normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom