New lift, driveline vibes. Double Cardan Rear shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m assuming the stock shaft is used. It’s not unusual for used shafts to vibrate after a lift as they have worn into a rotational pattern.

Based on baldilocks experience it would seem the best solution would be a rear DC shaft.

I personally can’t get past that shaft. A computer balanced shaft will likely have a weight on the slip yoke. I’ve had 2 exceptions to that but is really rare.

And weights want to be as close to the flanges as possible and with the way that shaft is built close is pretty far away.
they vibrate due to the wear pattern in u-joints, good new u-joints should fix that

if you didn't have any vibrations from the rear prior to the lifting of the vehicle, I would use the original DS with OE u-joints, get the shaft balanced and try again
aftermarket u-joints do not perform really nice sometimes
I've done just that. Still vibrates.

I put in OE Matsuba U-Joints, had the factory shaft balanced and trued. If anything, the original 350k slip spline is the concern now.

Update:

Finally got around to having the custom driveshaft checked out by a local shop. My buddy was taking his shafts in for work and was kind enough to take mine in as well.

Shop reports runout at .080" 😳

Normal max runout is .010"

They are gonna fix it and we will see how it runs.

Reinstalled the custom shaft today after it came back from the driveline shop. It's much better than it was before. Still have a vibration between 40-55mph, however it's pretty tolerable.

I think I'll run it as is until I swap the new engine in, at which time I'll also do the engine mounts and trans mount. Then see what we get.

I'm still not convinced this driveshaft is good tho. I do have a friend locally with a buttery smooth CV shaft in one of his 80s. Might have to borrow it for diag purposes....

Anyway- thanks for all the input from everyone.

Final update.

Custom fancy double cardan shaft was never right. The drone of the vibration at 65+ never sat right with me. It was tolerable at first after its trip to the driveline shop, but was still nagging at me and my OCD.

Put in a brand new OEM toyota shaft and its as smooth as it should be. If anyone wonders, yes, I'm a dumbass and spent $1500 on custom shafts and work when I could have just put in a $500 OEM shaft and fixed it.

Anyone wanna buy a custom double cardan shaft? It massages your back as you drive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom