Dream year and options configuration of 3rd gen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In your opinion what year. options, color is the ultimate 3rd gen? 4Runner

2000 Limited, rear Diff lock, Multi-Mode, silver

1998 4Runner SR5, 3.4L and a 5 speed manual. Liked white since the scratches never really showed.

Man I shouldn't have sold that car...:confused:

99-00 Limiteds have the multi-mode transfer case that gives you full-time 4wd for the highway, and they quite commonly have lockers as well. The 99-00 Limited is the only 4runner that has the multi mode T-case + the rear locker except for the 09 Trail Edition that was introduced briefly at the end of the 4th gen 4Runner's run. the multi mode is a button on the side of transfer case and allows AWD shift while on the fly up to 50 mph. can be used in rain, highway, ice. it is a J pattern

Last edited:
I had the 2000 LTD in silver, it only took me a day to sell it.

I had the 2000 LTD in silver, it only took me a day to sell it.
I have been chasing the original owner for 3 years until a month ago when I finally acquired it

Agreed that silver is most attractive. Worst would be purple. :eek:

I'd want one without a sunroof because it limited headroom too much for me. I owned a 2001/auto in red color for about a year before selling it.

so my neighbors car catches fire and he drives my 3rd gen for 5 days and then purchases a 3rd gen on the 6th day, its contagious

I have mine. '98 white SR5, V6 4x4 5-speed with a locker. I'm the original owner too. :)
sounds like a keeper, nice combination of options 5 speed with a locker. I am guessing original clutch on your baby . how many miles on it.

sounds like a keeper, nice combination of options 5 speed with a locker. I am guessing original clutch on your baby . how many miles on it.

253k miles. It actually just got converted to 5-speed a week ago. Auto trans still working fine but I drive a lot in sand and I don't want to risk overheating things... besides I just like manuals. I also swapped the locker in so I had to make it my perfect 4runner. Almost there... but knowing its history and always being a NC vehicle trumps all IMO.

Mine. 1998, 5spd, 3RZ, E-Locker - the only combination to have factory 4.56 gearing.
Black, 79K original miles (128k KM), zero rust and all the good stuff from a 1999 Limited edition retrofitted, essentially making it a 1998 Limited with 5 spd.

I have IMHO the best 3rd gen, it was my dream car when I was a kid.

2000 4runner dark green exterior limited edition with lockers
:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom