Drag link rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smokeater

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello All,

Happy 4th everyone, I'm posted up at the firehouse, luckily for me its been a quiet day so far...

So I'm in the middle of performing a little TLC on my steering linkage. I'll be replacing all TRE's, rebuilding center arm, and was planning on rebuilding draglink. When I removed and cleaned the Tie Rod I found a small rust hole below the slit on one end so I've got a new HD one coming from MAF. The relay rod is solid and the drag link tube is as well. I prepped and painted both with POR 15 and Top Coat.

I noticed when inspecting the drag link end that there was a small blemish in the pitman arm opening... looks like a little bit of the material was worn or compressed and pushed out by the ball/post. I was going to just run with it but got to thinking a second, third or fourth opinion wouldn't hurt. See Picture

I purchased a rebuild kit and planned on just packing the new guts into her. So what do you think?

Drag link.jpg

You cant go wrong by replacing it, but just go with your gut feeling. I think I’d be fine using it. Keep an eye on it and its no big deal to change it out later if need be.

I think your right. Piece of mind might be worth the effort. I could always hang on to the rebuild kit for a later project. Thanks

I suspect that the opposite end of the drag link was fatigued enough to allow the tube to pivot and remain in a position where the pitman arm kept running alongside that edge? All
my TRE’s were in pretty rough shape.

I saw the same exact thing on my drag link. Everything else in the steering system was worn out by the PO so I replaced this too for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom