Patch or Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m doing a frame up restoration on my first 40, and no surprise, it’s got some rust spots on the driver’s side floor pan. I’m torn between either replacing the floor pan or patching the holes.

At what point do you just replace an area with a new panel vs patching? Here’s photos from above and below. I’d appreciate any input.

IMG_5244.jpeg
IMG_5245.jpeg

The point u are at lol. I would install new pan, the part that is flat and goes up towards firewall and probably the lower part of inner rocker. If you look at farm use thread I just did that on drivers side.

The point u are at lol. I would install new pan, the part that is flat and goes up towards firewall and probably the lower part of inner rocker. If you look at farm use thread I just did that on drivers side.
That’s what I’m thinking too. I’ll check your thread, thanks!

trying to patch what is left would be difficult, thin metal, burning thru, etc
replacement seems the better choice

Replace. That corner by the gas pedal is tricky. I just did mine a couple months back.

I don’t recommend the real steel floor pan. Not even close to a fit. I had to heat, cut, patch, stretch, beat the stuff out of it to get it into shape. Still have lots of detailing to do.

IMG_0089.jpeg
IMG_0109.jpeg
IMG_0133.jpeg
IMG_0313.jpeg

Last edited:
Replace. That corner by the gas pedal is tricky. I just did mine a couple months back.

I don’t recommend the real steel floor pan. Not even close to a fit. I had to heat, cut, patch, stretch, beat the stuff out of it to get it into shape. Still have lots of detailing to do.

View attachment 3448477View attachment 3448478View attachment 3448479View attachment 3448483
Overall what you’ve done looks great. I’d be happy if I could get mine to that point.

Does Cool Cruisers of Texas not produce panels any more? I rebuilt my 40 with their stuff.
Perfect fit! Yes, I agree with everyone else, any time you have rust perforation like that replace
to clean metal.

Replace, part of it is already replaced once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom