Recommendations Wanted: Rebuild or Replace OEM Suspension on nearly all-original 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a nearly all-original 1979 FJ40 that I want to keep as close to OEM as possible. It still has the original shocks and springs. What shocks would you recommend if I want to keep it as close to OEM as possible? Also, should I rebuild or replace the springs? If I should rebuild the springs, who would you recommend in the southwest (NM, AZ, TX)? If I should replace the spring, what springs would you recommend?

I also have a resto-mod 1969 FJ40 with an OME/ARB suspension with a 2.5 inch lift, but I'm afraid this suspension on my 1979 will change the character of this survivor.

IMG_2182.png

Last edited:
I have a nearly all-original 1979 FJ40 that I want to keep as close to OEM as possible. It still has the original shocks and springs. What shocks would you recommend if I want to keep it as close to OEM as possible? Also, should I rebuild or replace the springs? If I should rebuild the springs, who would you recommend in the southwest (NM, AZ, TX)? If I should replace the spring, what springs would you recommend?

If you decide to replace them, Alcan Spring in Grand Junction, CO will make you stock-spec springs. Not cheap though.

Alcan Spring - Custom Leaf Springs in Grand Junction, CO - https://www.alcanspring.com/

The OEM shocks and steering dampener are still available from Toyota. I think I’ll send the springs out to be refurbished. There is only one shop that refurbishes springs near me (in El Paso, TX). 🤞

Why do you want to replace the suspension: larger wheels, more load, drive faster and control better?
If you just want to refresh it - i think the suspension looks nice. IMHO the original leaf springs - fits better to the original look.
I would replace the shocks to the original, spring bushes and keep purity of the project (I believe the original projects have better resale value and bring a collector fun).

Why do you want to replace the suspension: larger wheels, more load, drive faster and control better?
If you just want to refresh it - i think the suspension looks nice. IMHO the original leaf springs - fits better to the original look.
I would replace the shocks to the original, spring bushes and keep purity of the project (I believe the original projects have better resale value and bring a collector fun).
The shocks are springs are original. The shocks need to be replaced. I’ll keep the original springs but have them refurbished.

I bought brand new springs from General Springs. They are fine but, it kept bothering me that they aren’t OEM. Now I’m restoring the old springs at a dedicated leaf spring/suspension shop in El Paso, TX. I’ll post pics once I get them back.

This also means I have a set of new springs to sell if anyone is interested.

I put this kit from Cruiser Outfitters on my 82 FJ40 this summer. I am very happy with the kit and service.

It was not on their website but a phone call got everything lined up. Here is what they sent me regarding the Japanese spring kit:

Kits include:
Japanese Front Springs
OEM Front Shocks
Front Shackles
Front Spring Pins
Japanese Rear Springs
OEM Rear Shock
Rear Shackles
Rear Spring Pins
Bushings
Front U-Bolts
Rear U-Bolts
Spring Pin Bolts
Japanese Steering Damper

Kit pricing (in July was $1900), there are a few options on components.
Cruiser Outfitters 801-563-1277

I have no relationship with the company other than as a consumer.

I put this kit from Cruiser Outfitters on my 82 FJ40 this summer. I am very happy with the kit and service.

It was not on their website but a phone call got everything lined up. Here is what they sent me regarding the Japanese spring kit:

Kits include:
Japanese Front Springs
OEM Front Shocks
Front Shackles
Front Spring Pins
Japanese Rear Springs
OEM Rear Shock
Rear Shackles
Rear Spring Pins
Bushings
Front U-Bolts
Rear U-Bolts
Spring Pin Bolts
Japanese Steering Damper

Kit pricing (in July was $1900), there are a few options on components.
Cruiser Outfitters 801-563-1277

I have no relationship with the company other than as a consumer.
Great that you got the Japanese springs! What about some pics?

I’m looking at pulling the trigger in this same kit, would love to see some pics and what wheels/tires you are running with it.
Sorry this took so long. I hope these help. It looks like it was too dark to see the "made in Japan" in one of the shots.

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

If your heart is set on original springs I'd leave them as is. Buy some new shocks, steering dampener and bushes.

The older the springs, usually the better they ride.
Hit them with a can of black spray paint and they'll be all good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom