Builds dougbert's future 350 swap: How much torque is too much? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

got some parts from SOR for the tail gate, then got those installed on the gate and hatch and now both shut very nicely now. Jake found me a lock rod for the gate. The hardest thing to find was the door rod lock clips, see pic 3, those are Honda clips but fit great

got a couple of scratches but those will fix up well

also worked on the K1500

dougbert

IMG_20160416_181902_434[1].jpg
IMG_20160416_181913_425[1].jpg

door rod locks.jpg

Last edited:
started removing the Herculiner from a door on the rig using a new Ryobi grinder I got from HomeDepot for $40. A dual High Capacity battery set for $99 (Great deal as well).

grinder.jpg

batteries

batteries.jpg

too far from the grid to use an AC grinder - this will work I believe. It does consume quick discs:

disc.jpg

dougbert

Working on both project rigs today, sanding, disc'ing, and priming with black Chassis Saver

below is the work on the FJ60, and is the rear driver's side door, before and after priming. Ground the rough stuff and then followed up with 80 grit sanding to smooth it out

NOTE: That Herculiner is TOUGH!

I went through many grinding discs to get most of it off. I might just remove the rough surfaces in the remaining areas, as that can get expensive

Before priming:

IMG_20160514_174321_120[1].jpg

After priming:

IMG_20160514_195453_042[1].jpg

In this pic you can also see the rear fender in its incomplete state awaiting Jake - BUT
Jake indicated that he will do this left rear side like he did the right rear and fix up the fender. Not this week but the next. That will help move this project along.

dougbert

Last edited:
Been off last few weeks as my 98 yo mother declined and then passed away. So time was spent with family, funeral and burial in Riverside CA National Cemetery

all is well.

Scrapped the driver's side doors and primed them a couple of weeks ago.

Then yesterday and this morning put on 1st and 2nd coats of Monstaliner on driver's doors. At the same time did the 84 PU's doors and roof
Next will be the fender seen below.

BTW, I used spray on bottle paint remover and it works great. Far better then grinding it all down. Now I just use the grinder for final smoothing. Then prime with chassis saver (2 coats) and Monstaliner (2 coats). Best to put the Monstaliner on within 3 days of the CS.

dougbert

IMG_20160622_110119_433.jpg

FJ-60: Got the hood sanded and then painted Monstaliner on it

Hood before Monstaliner, as it was when I had it painted with OEM coded paint a few years ago

IMG_20151022_105357_481.jpg

and part of the left front fender.
That Heculiner is tough dog dirt for sure.

IMG_20160705_104206_742.jpg

IMG_20160705_104210_046.jpg

At the same time got the sides of the 1984 GMC Pickup bed painted as well. Killing 2 stones with one bird

Last edited:
getting narly Herculiner off the fenders and door. I found best way to remove is to use a grinding wheel to get the top surface off. Then repeated applications of paint stripper onto the "revealed paint", and a putty knife to scrap that paint off which the stripper has lifted. Using the grinder AND the stripper is better than use one of them only.

dougbert

grinding disk.jpg

IMG_20160711_121604_327.jpg

IMG_20160711_121548_232.jpg

IMG_20160711_121551_850.jpg

IMG_20160711_121553_974.jpg

Last edited:
Some may have noticed I have not been working on the rig much until recently. Months ago, my 98 yo mother was moved from my brother's house to an assisted living facility near where I live and I have been spending time helping her. She passed away on June 8th this year, and after all the needs have been met, I now have some more time available. Thus I have been working on the rig.

This morning I attacked the two passenger side doors with a wire brush and strong paint stripper. Almost got it all, so looks like one more day and all the Herculiner will be gone and I can put the primer on and then the Monstaliner. Also had to wait for more Monstaliner to arrive. takes about 10 days from time of order to when it is delivered from back east. I order a quart at a time. More expensive that way BUT a quart is about what I can apply before the paint stiffens up. Do use some MEK to thin it as needed. But after one quart applied, I am a bit tired. Works out great.

When these doors and fenders are completed, then I need to push Jake to finish the last quarter panel (welding it up) and assembling the rear bumper. Once that is done, I can do the finish work with Monstaliner on the rear quarters

dougbert

IMG_20160713_114125_922.jpg

Last edited:
Damn dude. Intense.
Why are you not taking the door handles and trim off?

Damn dude. Intense.
Why are you not taking the door handles and trim off?

Yeah, my oldest was in kindergarden when I started this rig, now he is nearing 40 - just kidding.

I was able to get around the handles and the upper trim just fine with what I wanted to do. The biggest thing (and hardest) has been getting that Herculiner off, which I completed TODAY :clap: Just some OEM paint remaining on the bottom of the front PS door. Should have that done tomorrow and get the 1st cost of primer on it.

dougbert

Sorry to hear about your mother dougbert.

The work on the cruiser is looking good. Keep it up.

applied 2 coats of primer to the PS doors and fender and DS fender on saturday and applied the 1st coat of Monstaliner to the same today.
Camera not working right today.

Applied 2nd coat of Monstaliner to the 84 GMC PU.

dougbert

aircraft stripper to get the liner off?

Cheers

I just used some "premium" stripper from HomeDepot, $30 a gallon. Where would one get aircraft stripper from?

dougbert

I just used some "premium" stripper from HomeDepot, $30 a gallon. Where would one get aircraft stripper from?

dougbert

Napa sells it in my tiny town or any autobody supply shop has it.

Cheers

finally got my camera working right (corrupt file system on the flash card)

here are the primer pics on the PS doors and 1st coat of Monstaliner

was going to paint 2nd coat BUT I failed to order the blue rollers, so ordered some more and another week of shipping time
IMG_20160716_114754_116[1].jpg
IMG_20160718_083817_494[1].jpg
IMG_20160718_093821_293[1].jpg

IMG_20160718_093805_460[1].jpg

body shop supply stores carry the aircraft paint stripper stuff.....or some do. Its real strong (probably not good to be exposed to very much) ensure plenty of ventilation and don't get it on anything of value.

Got the painting rollers and painted the 2nd coat this morning on the PS doors and front fender, hood and DS front fender. Now I can assemble the front grille and friends

IMG_20160727_105422_094.jpg

IMG_20160727_105431_748.jpg

Started re-assembling the front grille, beginning with the side lights being put back in, then the cross valance. Feels good to assemble now

Looking for the front grill - can't find it

Needs some parts from SOR as well

dougbert

Last edited:
Got the new face on the FJ60 today. Had to order a new grill after remembering my old grill melted in the fire last summer. Also ordered some anchor nuts, screws and misc parts from SOR. Looking good.

IMG_20160813_182045_491[1].jpg

IMG_20160813_182054_948[2].jpg

The front bumper was also in the grass fire (burned my HAM radio vanity plate as well - will need to replace that via DMV) where the grill, bumper and other items were leaning on a metal fence. Pics in prior posts.

I am thinking of just wire brushing off the burnt chrome and then just painting it all black. The rubber end caps were toast as well (they run $99 each via SOR), so I just might leave them totally off.

dougbert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom