DoubleE 86 4R 22RE Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to start a build thread to help remember what all I have done.

Missing my previous 4runners, a 3.4 2nd gen and a 4th gen, I recently acquired a 1986 4runner.

So far, I have fully rebuilt the front end, replaced some trim pieces, replaced the throttle cable, fixed some exhaust leaks, and purchased a missing mud flap...
Thinking about rebuilding the steering box but currently not on the top of the list. I now have a garage to keep her in and to work on projects that take more than a single day...

Todo List:
Lift
Gears (currently a little lost here, but will figure it out, any advice appreciated) thinking 4.88s w 33s
Tires
Bumpers
sliders
winch

Here are a few pictures.

_V6A4783.jpg

_V6A4786.jpg

Nice truck, I've never heard of coventry conversion, what all does it entail? Love a blue exterior, not so much a blue interior!

Nice truck!

You will be really pleased with the 4.88's and 33's. My truck has that setup and drives really well.

Nice truck, I've never heard of coventry conversion, what all does it entail? Love a blue exterior, not so much a blue interior!
Seems they put blue carpet everywhere.... I have removed the carpet from the "cargo area", the doors are two tone blue carpet... not a huge fan but it doesn't bother me enough to change it...

Embrace the blue on blue... sorry "blue over blue" since it's a Coventry package ;)
Awesome truck. Keep the updates and pics coming!

Made a horrible mistake and test fit my old 33s off my old 2nd gen 3.4 that my good friend now owns...

So needless to say, I have ordered wheels, going to powder coat them white to keep with the current color scheme.

Most likely will be driving a turd until I figure out gearing.

_V6A7789.jpg

Might as well just order the Old Man Emu Kit now too and be done with that part of the project!

Managed to make it through some steep trails on the 29s... The built 1st gen taco behind me had to winch, needless to say we didn't let him live that one down for awhile...

_V6A7797.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

Working on installing my air compressor. So far this is what I have, everything is wired up and working. I think I am going to replace the entire side panel from the back seats to the tailgate with a single piece of wood. this will give me the ability to mount whatever I want and give me the strength of wood. The panel I have here is mostly a proof of concept.

Eventually I might wrap it in beautiful 80s blue carpet...

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1771.jpeg

B637BA4B-9E7D-4EDB-AD3C-3234286D43D8.jpeg
55922234-23AD-40E8-A6F1-9D8D4913CFBA.jpeg

I’d recommend removing the chrome garnishes from the fenders. I like the look better without them, and they tend to catch and hold pollen, dirt etc.

Love the blue.

Are you set on the old man emu lift? I ran that for a while and never cared for it. Super bouncy and rode like s***. It’s better in the runners but I still would recommend going with Chevy 63s. Very easy Mod. Very happy with the ride too.

Are you set on the old man emu lift? I ran that for a while and never cared for it. Super bouncy and rode like s***. It’s better in the runners but I still would recommend going with Chevy 63s. Very easy Mod. Very happy with the ride too.
do tell me more. I ran the old man on my 4th gen definitely doesn't mean I think its going to be the same in this. I honestly don't know what I want to do yet... I'm pretty sure I want to do 1" body lift and then ~2" suspension lift and then loosen the torsion bar to where I net a total of 2"... Would definitely like the ride to be better...

This is the full size piece of wood. I am planning to cut a storage section like the factory one in it. And of course cut it down height wise...

After that I'll put all the interior back in and should be good to go, filled the tires up with it today, very nice to have air again.

IMG_1794.jpeg

do tell me more. I ran the old man on my 4th gen definitely doesn't mean I think its going to be the same in this. I honestly don't know what I want to do yet... I'm pretty sure I want to do 1" body lift and then ~2" suspension lift and then loosen the torsion bar to where I net a total of 2"... Would definitely like the ride to be better...

There should be a few good write ups on here. In fact, I’m pretty sure I did one. Using Ruffstuff’s kit, you mount new leaf hangers in front of and behind the existing hangers. The fixed hanger is 11.5” behind the stock hanger eye to eye. The shackle hanger is the one you can adjust to get your desired shackle angle. With the 4Runner, you’d want to closer to the factory hanger than say a single cab pickup that’s normally got an empty bed. I don’t know the measurements for that one off the the top of my head but easily found. 7 5/8” or something like that. Not sure exactly.
You want 80s to early 00s Chevy pickup 63” leaf springs. They are very common. SD spring has them for under $350 shipped or around that. They a 3 leaf and 4 leaf. Might consider the 4 leaf with the extra weight of the 4Runner. Gives you a nice 2.5” lift and rides great. You can throw a 1” block under there as well to bump up the lift if it’s not enough but then you need to make e-brake raising tabs.
Get RuffStuff’s 6” shackles to go along with this as well. Fairly inexpensive suspension upgrade if you find used springs but careful not to get clapped out springs. Any questions, happy to help.

I run 63’s on my crawler and they work great. You should consider sas, you’d be way farther a head if you’re going to wheel it.

Here is what I am rolling with for now on the compressor mount and storage pocket. Once I am certain this is the final layout, I will cover it with carpet.

60757749185__413BDE41-000E-48AE-B47D-AD01DAAFA8D3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom