Door Preservation, Over My Head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20140908_154700.jpg
20140908_154730.jpg
20140908_154724.jpg
20140908_154738.jpg
20140908_160608.jpg
I need to get my 40 doors ready for the winter and decided to start the project. One door had been stripped years ago and left un-treated and the other someone had applied some really thick and tough primer. Sadly the rust was coming through the primer and the other door that was untreated is now heavily pitted. The heavily pitted door I hit with some phosphoric acid which really brought out the pits and some pin holes. Before I did any more damage to what was left I applied a top coat of Van Sickle tractor paint with rust inhibitor. Not sure what to do with this one, maybe just paint it and leave it be.

The second door is my problem child as it's in a borderline condition where I think it can be saved. I just don't know how to go about it. I initially hit it with a wire wheel which didn't do much so I went at it with a flapper disc. This brought out the pits but overall it's not too bad (I think). My question is what should I do now? Continue grinding and risk blowing through the metal? Hit it with acid, paint, and hope for the best? Or is there another tactic?

Last edited:
I’d say that door should be easy to fix up but I’m not an expert. If that was mine and I had economical access to sand or media blasting I’d take the door apart and get all the rust removed. If blasting isn’t an option, or your cheap like me use wire wheel and flap disc the rust out. If you break through than your really needed to replace portions of the sheet metal anyway by welding in patch panels. Use a 2 part primer with zinc in it, then some filler putty (only if the pitting is deep), then a high build 2 part primer fill in the imperfections, then block sand, the spray a 2 part colour top coat. You can repeat the filler primer if you need more build cause you block sanded through, just try not to sand down to the metal again while doing this. The primer that contains zinc will inhibit rust. Stay away from rattle cans if you want it to last. I found the Eastwood you tube how to videos to be really helpful learning about these steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom