Door handle wobbles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, all. I'm relatively new to the FJ game here.
I've just replaced both door handle actuators in my 73 FJ40. The new actuator works great. Problem is, the outer handle (Part #11 in the picture) now wobbles. There's a tiny gap between the handle and the door (even after reusing the old washers). I'm thinking I need new washers (Part #41) but can't seem to find one anywhere. I tried a teflon washer that I found at ASE Hardware, but after installing it, now the handle doesn't automatically return after you unlatch the door. I had to loosen the retaining nuts on the inside of the my door in order for the latch spring to be able to return the handle - which again caused the outer handle to be too loose and wobble. Any ideas from the experts out there?
FJ Door parts.jpg

Hello, all. I'm relatively new to the FJ game here.
I've just replaced both door handle actuators in my 73 FJ40. The new actuator works great. Problem is, the outer handle (Part #11 in the picture) now wobbles. There's a tiny gap between the handle and the door (even after reusing the old washers). I'm thinking I need new washers (Part #41) but can't seem to find one anywhere. I tried a teflon washer that I found at ASE Hardware, but after installing it, now the handle doesn't automatically return after you unlatch the door. I had to loosen the retaining nuts on the inside of the my door in order for the latch spring to be able to return the handle - which again caused the outer handle to be too loose and wobble. Any ideas from the experts out there? View attachment 3174067
Here is what worked for me.

Door Handle Grommet.1.jpg

Door Handle Grommet.2.jpg

Door Handle Grommet.jpg

Spent the morning on the phone with Cannon Gaskets and later McMasterCarr (refered by Cannon). I think that rubber washer has been discontinued. I'll check out ACE Hardware again.

Spent the morning on the phone with Cannon Gaskets and later McMasterCarr (refered by Cannon). I think that rubber washer has been discontinued. I'll check out ACE Hardware again.
FYI: Looks like McMaster still has them but you have to buy a package of 50.
Oil-Resistant Neoprene Rubber Sealing Washer for 1/2" Screw Size, 0.49" ID, 1.062" OD, 0.11"- 0.14" Thickness.
I still have a whole package less the 2 that I used. PM me your address and I would be happy to send you some.

FYI: Looks like McMaster still has them but you have to buy a package of 50.
Oil-Resistant Neoprene Rubber Sealing Washer for 1/2" Screw Size, 0.49" ID, 1.062" OD, 0.11"- 0.14" Thickness.
I still have a whole package less the 2 that I used. PM me your address and I would be happy to send you some.
Sorry for the late reply. The holidays kind of got away from us over here. Thanks so much for the offer, Green Bean. I actually wound up finding a machine bushing at ASE that seems to have done the trick.
Thanks for everyone’s help!

4FC125D2-BC63-4D5D-8745-C4FC76CD19BA.jpeg

6F34ED52-F027-4391-BF78-A9C863BBE752.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom