Door check snap sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1998 LX, passenger rear door snaps when opening/closing. I originally thought the door was tweaked and the cladding/trim hitting the other door, but its not. I can actually see the door check arm jump with the snap. Can these be cleaned/repaired or do they need replacement? Am I going to create more damage by not addressing it?

Thanks!

I tightened the small screw holding the door retention strap/metal bar that prevents it from over extending when opened. Done.

Yes. Mine appeared loose and when I tightened it slightly the noise was gone.

There should be 2 nuts on the door side that could be loose, and one bolt on the body side. If the noise persists after tightening these, you may need to replace the door check.

Mine was actually the one on the body side. My bad for replying too quickly.

Just like the video. Thanks camino70

Might want to also add blue loktite. These coming loose is common on toyotas. Sienna's trucks. Heck my brothers 2011 sequoia has had both front doors need tighting.

Chris, I'm sorry to hear that. Where is the stud, I thought they were bolts?

It might be a bolt. I haven't removed the assembly to see what's in there yet. On the door, there are two bolts holding the assembly in place. When attempted to tighten the top nut/bolt it turned rather easily about one turn then promptly broke off cleanly in my wrench. I need to get this taken care of before I start to see the same problems others have had with the surrounding door material cracking, and breaking.

The bolt that holds the retention strap on the driver's side of my green 100 is *always* loose, even after using Loctite. Not sure what the reason is, but as it loosens from my periodic tightening, the door makes a popping sound as it opens and closes.

by loose do you mean that it rotates, or that it moves in/out? Mine rotates a bit even when tightened. Threads have blue locker on them.

by loose do you mean that it rotates, or that it moves in/out? Mine rotates a bit even when tightened. Threads have blue locker on them.

Rotates easily. It's weird, it's almost like the splines in the hole are worn, I've tried switching hardware but the end result is always it loosening. Drives me nuts, too! :)

For my door, there was something much bigger going on. I was getting the snap or "pop" sound when my door opened and closed.

I have a 99 LC and over time the bar in the door check has bent and it is catching on the window guide. I also believe there was originally a plastic piece around the part that was snagging. Mine is gone.

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

I needed to do three things.

1. remove the door check and try to straighten up the bar.
2. Straighten up the window guide and take that "lip" out of it that the door check created every time it snagged on it.
3. Used a dremel to round off the side of the door check that kept hanging. That way if it did hit it again, it would glide over it easier.

IMG_4817.jpg

All clear, it now misses the window guide and operates smoothly.

IMG_4820.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom