What is this sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 3 or 4 weeks ago this sound started. It sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash to the left of the glovebox. It’s always there when i start the car and then after it warms up a little it’s very intermittent.

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

If it helps at all it’s a 2000 with just over 350k miles on here. I’ve had her for a while and have had a ton of the normal maintenance stuff done but this one is driving me nuts. It’s normally very quiet drive and this one is really annoying.

HVAC related? (Smoltz beat me by a second) You don’t have AHC, so can’t be that. Is it the sound of money leaving your wallet? I hope not…

Does it stop when you turn off the HVAC Fan (which is clearly on in the picture)?
Yes.

Just seems weird that it’s intermittent instead of consistent if it’s the fan or something like that. They can be running the entire time and it doesn’t always do it.

I think something is stuck in your HVAC fan thing or something. I've never torn into that mess under there except to replace the leaky gasket that used to drip condensate water on my passenger floormat when I ran my AC hard for a couple hours. My 05 did this exact thing for a while--granted not as bad as yours--eventually whatever it was got unstuck or broke off and it doesn't do it anymore. I realize this isn't helpful info but you aren't alone. I think there is a way to clean that all out by removing the cabin air filter if you have one (or at least opening the little door for it) and sucking out debris with a shop vac and then spraying that cleaner foam stuff in there and that may help. Again I've never done it but I've read posts here on MUD about it.

It's your blower motor. Whether it's failed or there is something caught in it or something else, only way to find out is to take it apart.

Nice video here:

Let us know what you find.

It's your blower motor. Whether it's failed or there is something caught in it or something else, only way to find out is to take it apart.

Nice video here:

Let us know what you find.

I’m gonna start the disassembly later today. I’ll let everyone know if that’s the source.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago this sound started. It sounds like it’s coming from inside the dash to the left of the glovebox. It’s always there when i start the car and then after it warms up a little it’s very intermittent.

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

If it helps at all it’s a 2000 with just over 350k miles on here. I’ve had her for a while and have had a ton of the normal maintenance stuff done but this one is driving me nuts. It’s normally very quiet drive and this one is really annoying.

Do you like your usb cable in that location, under the passenger side? I assume that is going to your head unit.
Are you going to move it at the same time?

Do you like your usb cable in that location, under the passenger side? I assume that is going to your head unit.
Are you going to move it at the same time?
Hate it there. I had too many issues on the outside to worry about to care about that cable. When I start addressing the interior stuff I’ll pipe that cable to a much more convenient spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom