Donaldson air cleaner for Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any plans for the 5.7 to have a kit from them? I would buy one today.
I read this in a local 4x4 publication, seems they are confident in the application now. NB. “ULP“ = Unleaded Petrol (gasoline).

Sorry for the poor quality image taken with my iPad.

461F8096-A04C-43D7-9FB1-6FF15BB168D9.jpeg

Unfortunately, Donaldson customer “support” isn’t exactly Cracker Jack imo. After my asking about the part number “xlc200k” above. A classic example of a great product with trash CS. This is not the first experience I’ve had with this canned response. See below.

IMG_9897.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m guessing that is because the product was developed by Aussie’s for the Australian market.

Just a heads up that they now list the 5.7L on the application list. Not sure if we were the first, but we installed one about 8 months ago with a couple modifications. So far so good eating dust each day.

Where? Does not appear so on their side? I only see 4.5L diesel.

I'd like a bit more of a finished product for the 5.7 before I go drilling holes for rivnuts IMO. If it indeed will fit the 5.7 and it didn't require drilling through metal for new bolt locations, I would be all over this. If anyone can confirm donaldson has indeed made it bespoke for our gassers, I am in! Otherwise, @SOAZtim mods/bending the intake/etc is a bridge too far to me. I am not a smart man, but I would imagine creating various points of stress or non linear intake paths would eventually create turbulent flow. Again, this is out of my wheelhouse but I know many auto manufacturers go to great lengths with their air intake baffles, flow lines, etc for what I would imagine is a good reason.

If a donaldson rep can chime in, please do so. TIA.

It also appears to be *very* expensive, plus replacement elements are about 8x the cost of a standard one for us.

what side(s) of the OEM filter are people putting that putty stuff to try and increase the seal competence of the OEM filter?

what side(s) of the OEM filter are people putting that putty stuff to try and increase the seal competence of the OEM filter?
The “clean” side of the gasket is all that’s needed, since that is the area we want to exclude dust. But I’m sure most people just put it on both sides for simplicity and to keep engine bay air out of the system completely.

It also appears to be *very* expensive, plus replacement elements are about 8x the cost of a standard one for us.

That's a concern for a better filter. Wonder how availability is in the states? The media seems pretty large whereas carrying a second stock filter onboard is pretty easy. Hrmm...trades.

That's a concern for a better filter. Wonder how availability is in the states? The media seems pretty large whereas carrying a second stock filter onboard is pretty easy. Hrmm...trades.
Plus a filter-minder would probably show that most of us are changing our air filters far too early anyway. Glad to see the Donaldson setup has one.. entirely possible with an element that large the replacement cost would never be an issue.

The least expensive price in Australia is about $700 usd, with the filter replacement running around $100 usd.

Here’s the data from the video posted on page 1. The test is not perfect, but does well enough. Clean/new vs 28 oz/800 grams of dust.
A49F0899-8A6D-4761-9ABF-6F1D32CBA49F.jpeg

The least expensive price in Australia is about $700 usd, with the filter replacement running around $100 usd.

Here’s the data from the video posted on page 1. The test is not perfect, but does well enough. Clean/new vs 28 oz/800 grams of dust.
View attachment 3614486
thanks for the data/chart. I guess this echoes what has been said about many products - that chasing that last bit of efficiency/excellence is where the REAL money starts to be spent.

thanks for the data/chart. I guess this echoes what has been said about many products - that chasing that last bit of efficiency/excellence is where the REAL money starts to be spent.
Agreed.

I'd like to know how much of that 7g of dust went around the OEM filter vs through it.

I'd like a bit more of a finished product for the 5.7 before I go drilling holes for rivnuts IMO. If it indeed will fit the 5.7 and it didn't require drilling through metal for new bolt locations, I would be all over this. If anyone can confirm donaldson has indeed made it bespoke for our gassers, I am in! Otherwise, @SOAZtim mods/bending the intake/etc is a bridge too far to me. I am not a smart man, but I would imagine creating various points of stress or non linear intake paths would eventually create turbulent flow. Again, this is out of my wheelhouse but I know many auto manufacturers go to great lengths with their air intake baffles, flow lines, etc for what I would imagine is a good reason.

If a donaldson rep can chime in, please do so. TIA.
Seems like it would be easier to modify the point where the airbox meets the brackets rather than where the brackets meet the truck. But i haven't had one in my hands, so maybe that's not possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom