Does anyone have a good Arbor Press for use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izula

Eating a gutter sandwich
SILVER Star
Threads
I need to change out some u-joints and I'm too lazy to drive 4 hours to where I stashed my 20-ton press last month... I know the old hammer/socket tricks but prefer an arbor press. I probably have to make the drive up north anyway to press out/in the OME caster correction bushings. D'hoh! Thanks.

I have an arbor press, bench top style but I don't recall needing it for UJ replacement. If my memory serves me correctly, I used a larger socket as the receiver, and a smaller socket as the pusher. A large table top vice to do the pressing work and a second pair of hands help.

Thanks Ali- I'll be doing that method most likely. Probably on the ground. D'hoh!

Dude, on the ground? Say it ain't so! I used the vice and the small socket to push in the cap in order to release the C clip. Do the same thing on the opposite side. Then use the small & large socket to do your bidness. Some folks use a hammer instead of a vice!

I guess the 80-series u-joints are sissy to get out. I have yet to be able to remove a mini joint easy and wish every time I had a press.

We've been using my 20-ton press. It's a little too much, but makes things easy. The caps just don't ever want to come out. U-joints are usually a 0-bannana job, but these are testing me. On a better note, I whittled out a 1/4" steel plate to help press out the radius arm bushings and press in OME caster correction bushings. Those are easy now. Let me know when you guys want to use it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom