Does anyone drive with the windshield down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunbar

SILVER Star
Threads
Did several searches including; FJ40 drive with windshield down IH8MUD. Images from that show about one in twenty pics of 40's with the windshield down. I drive my VW Thing with the windshield down when running around up to about 45 mph. I can fold it up or down in 5 seconds at a stoplight with my seatbelt on. Safety nanny's please don't respond you can bite my tire. Law around here does not look twice, except for the cool factor of the Type 181.

I drive my boat all the time without a windshield and enjoy the natural AC. My 40 is not road worthy yet but I have the quick hinges on doors so they can come off and will have the windshield hinges well oiled. Depending on how heavy it is I may use a strap near the mirror to lower and raise it from the seat if practical.

Icon style latch @grainger supply

The issue is more that you have to remove the hardtop or the softtop before and it's not that easy.

If you have no top, no hesitation, as much as appropriate get it down, it's not complicated.

Note that you need to latch the windshield with the hooks on the hood so you still need to get out of the driver seat.

I drive with my windshield down on the citys streets all the time. I love doing it. I don't go more than about 35 mph though. I always wear sunglasses or my eyes start to water. The law here just says the vehicle has to be equied with a windshield. Doesn't say it needs to be up. Grey area I guess.

During the summer the top and doors are off so it's easy to drop the windshield from time to time around town. Just throw on a pair of good wrap around sunglasses or you'll be crying everytime you pull up to someplace. I also ride a bike and love the wind in my face

I’ve tried it a few times. Even with glasses I found my eyes watered like crazy.

The last time I drove off-road with the windshield down it cost me a windshield. Branch came just over the hood, between the hood and windshield, and then when the left front wheel went over a bump it smashed the windshield.

So far not a fan.

I’ve tried it a few times. Even with glasses I found my eyes watered like crazy.

The last time I drove off-road with the windshield down it cost me a windshield. Branch came just over the hood, between the hood and windshield, and then when the left front wheel went over a bump it smashed the windshield.

So far not a fan.
Somehow I feel that your windshield would have been history in that case if it was up too.

Did several searches including; FJ40 drive with windshield down IH8MUD. Images from that show about one in twenty pics of 40's with the windshield down. I drive my VW Thing with the windshield down when running around up to about 45 mph. I can fold it up or down in 5 seconds at a stoplight with my seatbelt on. Safety nanny's please don't respond you can bite my tire. Law around here does not look twice, except for the cool factor of the Type 181.

I drive my boat all the time without a windshield and enjoy the natural AC. My 40 is not road worthy yet but I have the quick hinges on doors so they can come off and will have the windshield hinges well oiled. Depending on how heavy it is I may use a strap near the mirror to lower and raise it from the seat if practical.

Icon style latch @grainger supply
Dunbar;
Back when my '74 FJ40 was fairly new, my cousin and I use to go "Varmint Hunting" (hunting rabbits and other non-game animals at night).. On one hunt, we opted to remove the '40's hardtop and let down the windshield... in order to shoot over it instead of having to stand-up THEN shoot over it..
The BIG "downside", in my opinion, to letting down the windshield was, if one either drove over 35-40 MPH OR drove 20mph into a 20+mph wind, you were damn-near blinded by the wind, dust/dirt, etc. I decided, at that point, to keep the windshield in the "up" position.. AND, given the royal "PITA" it was to remove AND replace the fiberglass top (at night, out in the woods, no ladder, stripped bolts, etc.) decided to NEVER remove said fiberglass top, again!! That was about forty years ago.. NO REGRETS!!
Besides, even with the fiberglass top removed, it was a royal PITA just to LOWER and RAISE the Windshield.. It is NOT a
"from the (front) seat" operation!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

Somehow I feel that your windshield would have been history in that case if it was up too.
In this instance, the branch was perpendicular to the truck. As well as having another 18-20” to stop, the windshield frame would have protected the windshield. It was an unlucky incident… I stopped about 1.5” too late.

Around here you have to wear eye protection if the windshield is down while driving on the street. Ive been running trails with it down for decades. Its only up if its raining and the bikini top is on.

Never on the street but I love running trails with the windshield down.
A word on running trails topless and windshield down.
Years ago when I was running my Toy topless I hit a cable someone had stretched across the road, I guess to mark a property line.
I don't have a full cage so having the windshield up and the doors on saved my bacon.
There was a lot of foliage and the cable didn't have any signs or rages tied on it to let the unsuspecting traveler know it was there.
Luckily I wasn't going very fast when the cable hit the windshield popping up over and sliding along the window frames on the doors then the roll bar.
I felt the cable just barely miss the top of my head as it passed over.
Enjoy the open freedom but be careful.

Never on the street but I love running trails with the windshield down.
I agree, did it a few times and it was fun!

A word on running trails topless and windshield down.
Years ago when I was running my Toy topless I hit a cable someone had stretched across the road, I guess to mark a property line.
I don't have a full cage so having the windshield up and the doors on saved my bacon.
There was a lot of foliage and the cable didn't have any signs or rages tied on it to let the unsuspecting traveler know it was there.
Luckily I wasn't going very fast when the cable hit the windshield popping up over and sliding along the window frames on the doors then the roll bar.
I felt the cable just barely miss the top of my head as it passed over.
Enjoy the open freedom but be careful.
Maybe you stumbled upon the hideout of a Nazi fugitive?

B90A5A4F-810C-4CDE-8F6D-A619B61F4D5D.jpeg

Once in the 1980’s I asked a cop about it. He said registration and inspection stickers must be visible but it’s not illegal to drive with the glass down. I usually only lower it in the winter. In summer I need the top for shade. As others have said, you need glasses. One year the glass was down so long I didn’t notice my inspection was out of date for six months. I generally don’t exceed 40-45 mph, But it also depends on wind direction.

C8DB0155-570E-4D44-9D53-CF8212C450CD.jpeg

My opinion, there is no other vehicle made to look as good and functional as the FJ40 , windshield down. If there is a differing opinion , please reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom