Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Tommy Shumpert -- perhaps this diagram will help.
My setup is desmogged, if you are running factory/smog equipment your routing may differ.

78-layout-desmog_small-jpg.104271

As for painting I did use a two component epoxy primer to start. With some parts I was able to put a color coat over the epoxy, but on most areas that I wanted to have a nicer finish I used a two component high build primer before painting the color coat. The color is single stage, no base coat/clear coat. Never worry about questions and appreciate you taking the time to look over the build.

My family and I drove through the western side of your state last week, on our way to Florida. As I passed multiple farms, I often looked for a blue 40 parked inside a barn...

Are you carrying a set of X-Ray vision specs with you? :snaphappy: :)
Although you can see a long way across the flatlands of Western Ohio you'll need to drive home a bit more to the east. . . the 40 is hidden in the hills where the state has more interesting topography. Happy to pull the car cover if your inclined to stop by.

A big Thank You to @SMG for his upgraded hinge pins and bushings. They arrived promptly and look to be very high quality. The set for the doors will be installed for the summer driving season. . . I've half convinced myself to pull the hood and windshield hinges too for a complete look.

IMG_6969.JPG

Thanks Steve!!

In the desmog drawing, there is an error. The CB (previously called TP) is shown connected to ported vacuum.

It should be connected to manifold vac.

HTH

Thanks Jim.
I overlooked the vacuum lines while searching for a diagram in the archives. . . focused solely on the charcoal canister. Double checked on my truck and I do have it plumbed correctly. ;)

Admittedly, I am not well versed in texting acronyms. I had to look up HTH -- optimistically I think it stands for "Hope That Helps" vs. others I found like "How The He(double hockey sticks)" or "Hard To Handle" -- even if you are Jim I always appreciate the comments. :)

Put Safety First today with an upgrade to the fire suppression system.

IMG_6959.JPG

Prior to today I kept a fire extinguisher wrapped up in a towel (to keep it from rolling) somewhere in the tub while I drove around. It usually sat in the passenger side foot area or behind the driver's seat and always looked liked an afterthought. . . technically it was.

The little Velcro holder snugs it up to the roll bar securely and it fits between the jump seat/spare tire area -- almost like it was meant to be there.

IMG_6966.JPG

I went with the black extinguisher vs. the red or chrome finish to match the look of the roll bar. The holder hides it anyway so it really did not matter.

IMG_6962.JPG

I hope I never need it, just like the insurance card in the glove box.

I acquired the cable material to wire up the inverter, that should be the next project to cross off the list.

Hey Doc that is a very cool fire extinguisher! Where did you find it? That would resolve my storage issue on the 45 . I wanted to mount one to the bed rack that is currently in the works but I wasn't keen on welding a bracket to the stanchion.

Hey Doc that is a very cool fire extinguisher! Where did you find it?

Good Old E-bay. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I used to sell a lot of my tractor parts there but over the last couple years E-bay fees and regulations placed on sellers became too much for me. I still buy the occasional item from them because it is easy to look something up and group a bunch of random stuff together that would take a lot of time otherwise.

I went with a 2.5lb. H3R HalGuard, a clean agent extinguisher to minimize mess/contamination if I ever did have to use it. Going back to my firefighting days I know the principle to stopping a fire is to cut out a component of the fire triangle (fuel, oxygen, heat/temperature). Halotron1 takes it a step further (thinking it acts the same way as good old Halon) by not only cooling and smothering but also chemically reacts/stops fire's chain reaction. The mind is dusty and full of cobwebs, but I think Halotron 1 was introduced to replace Halon in the early 90s due to environmental concerns/the EPA. I'm not for making the ozone hole any bigger (last I heard it was getting smaller?) but I have no problem emitting some Chlorofluorocarbons if it means saving the 40.

The mounting sock was acquired separately (on E-bay as well).

A couple links:

H3R Extinguisher

Extinguisher Holder

Good Old E-bay. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I used to sell a lot of my tractor parts there but over the last couple years E-bay fees and regulations placed on sellers became too much for me. I still buy the occasional item from them because it is easy to look something up and group a bunch of random stuff together that would take a lot of time otherwise.

I went with a 2.5lb. H3R HalGuard, a clean agent extinguisher to minimize mess/contamination if I ever did have to use it. Going back to my firefighting days I know the principle to stopping a fire is to cut out a component of the fire triangle (fuel, oxygen, heat/temperature). Halotron1 takes it a step further (thinking it acts the same way as good old Halon) by not only cooling and smothering but also chemically reacts/stops fire's chain reaction. The mind is dusty and full of cobwebs, but I think Halotron 1 was introduced to replace Halon in the early 90s due to environmental concerns/the EPA. I'm not for making the ozone hole any bigger (last I heard it was getting smaller?) but I have no problem emitting some Chlorofluorocarbons if it means saving the 40.

The mounting sock was acquired separately (on E-bay as well).

A couple links:

H3R Extinguisher

Extinguisher Holder
I’m afraid the 40 is not saving the planet either.:hmm:

While running errands yesterday I stopped by the upholstery shop -- ready and waiting were the B pillar covers/elbow pads (still have not decided what to call them). He also had a pair of my nicer gloves waiting that I thought I had lost. . . I couldn't for the life of me remember where I had put them (or in this case forgotten them).

IMG_7077.JPG

Yes, for the grand sum of $20 (for both!) I think Aaron did a nice job.

IMG_7076.JPG

For reminders, this large unfinished area just behind the door was the target:

IMG_7078.JPG

I only had time to set the cover in place, but I do think it looks. . . better.

IMG_7080.JPG

Standing back the cover blends in and my eyes are not immediately drawn to it -- that was one of the goals.

IMG_7074.JPG

This weekend should allow some time to secure them in place and perhaps a better full truck view to get a large scale effect. Right now I'm leaning toward keeping these covers vs. making a new set of blue painted plates. OR, perhaps I will make the simple plates, paint them, and have . . . options. :hmm:

I finished some busywork at the office today and had a chance to get into the shop earlier than usual. I thought I'd have the place to myself and really get some tasks done. . . little did I know that a good portion of the family would be around and my attentions were pulled in several different directions. I was able to distract the nephews (and more importantly dad) for a bit of time with a pinball I had temporarily set up.

5J5A0126.JPG

That allowed me to focus long enough to mark and drill the holes in the cushion mounting tabs.

5J5A0132.JPG

Installed a 1/4" Rivnut -- handy when you do not want to weld a nut inside something or do not have access to install a nut -- even on thin materials. I used the same hardware when attaching the bikini top channel to the top of the windshield frame.

5J5A0135.JPG

In less than half an hour I had both cushions installed. Slightly out of focus, but a view from the inside:

5J5A0139.JPG

Other priorities of the day pulled me away for the rest of the afternoon and I made it home just in time to catch this view of the wife's glamper across the pond.

5J5A0209A.JPG

We had a bit of a flurry overnight and much of the snow was in the melting stage. March sure came in like a lion, I've had my share of winter so here is to it going out like a lamb. :cold:

A big Thank You to Flamur and @RockAuto -- they found the 40 to be magnet worthy and sent over a bunch of samples.

IMG_7197.JPG

IMG_7198.JPG

You'd think I just had my first born the way I've been handing them out to people (vs. cigars). The Mrs. is lucky we have stainless steel appliances -- otherwise the fridge would be covered. :)

Time for a new fridge Dave, at least in the workshop.

:)
Luckily the toolbox is magnetic, I will be able to throw a couple on there.
Those older model refrigerators may not be as efficient but they will run forever. Heavy too. Not sure about it in the shop (with that curved top it would be a challenge to store stuff on it!), but I could easily have one of those in a bachelor pad and be content.
Mrs. TractorDoc was put in charge of interior design of the house -- and for good reason. When we met my dresser was a couple laundry baskets, my kitchen table was an air hockey table, and I had one dish/fork/knife/spoon in the cabinet (Id just wash them after I used 'em). This was in my late 20s. . . o_O

Doc it so cool that Rockauto put your 40 on one of their magnets . Maybe II'll be fortunate enough to score one in a future order. It now has me considering a submission of my own. Our trucks on magnets would be a nice pair!

:)
Luckily the toolbox is magnetic, I will be able to throw a couple on there.
Those older model refrigerators may not be as efficient but they will run forever. Heavy too. Not sure about it in the shop (with that curved top it would be a challenge to store stuff on it!), but I could easily have one of those in a bachelor pad and be content.
Mrs. TractorDoc was put in charge of interior design of the house -- and for good reason. When we met my dresser was a couple laundry baskets, my kitchen table was an air hockey table, and I had one dish/fork/knife/spoon in the cabinet (Id just wash them after I used 'em). This was in my late 20s. . . o_O
I know what that was like, life was much easier then and somehowe I got much more done with less money.:hmm:

It now has me considering a submission of my own. Our trucks on magnets would be a nice pair!

I'd say go for it -- it would be an honor!

Thought it was time to dust off the Mud Account and catch up on some of the threads I am (very much) behind on.
A quick update from my end -- not much happening. I did manage to finish wiring up the inverter but could not find a cool beer sign or other illuminated man cave article to plug in/take a worthy picture of.

I did take a picture out the window this morning. Had to check the calendar -- yep, it really is Mid-April.

IMG_7426.JPG

Things have been growing in the greenhouse. Been working overtime to keep the wood burner going this year. Opening day will be next week, it will be nice to free up some space.

IMG_7428.JPG

Patiently Waiting:

IMG_7429.JPG

In the foreground is one of my mini/quick projects, a turbine leaf blower. It is dragging on a little longer than I wanted to as I am having to adapt parts to an air-cooled Kohler engine (mounts on the brackets next to the battery) to power it. Luckily I have some time before leaf season. :)

Now, off to catch up on some neglected Mud reading!

Sheesh, you could've at least lifted the skirt and showed a little fender...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom