Dobinsons upper control arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eyedaho

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with the Dobinsons upper control arms for the 100 series? I like the idea of having an easily replaceable 555 ball joint, and they have the 3° of castor like seemingly everyone else. I know people like Nitro, Total Chaos, SPC (with some people not liking them), Trail Tailor (although Jason's site has shown them sold out for a while), etc. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra money, when I can get the Dobinson's on FleaBay for $580 with free shipping. I am a firm believer in the cry once buy once philosophy though, and I really don't want to buy them and then regret it down the road. Is there anything lacking with the Dobinsons that is worth the extra price for any of the other offerings? I don't really care about cool factor and my budget is not unlimited, so I'd like to get the cheapest functional, durable option. That said, if TT restocked, I'd probably go that route today, to keep my money in the good ol' USA.

Freedom Offroad, they look to be Taiwanese control arms powdercoated black. $380

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with the Dobinsons upper control arms for the 100 series? I like the idea of having an easily replaceable 555 ball joint, and they have the 3° of castor like seemingly everyone else. I know people like Nitro, Total Chaos, SPC (with some people not liking them), Trail Tailor (although Jason's site has shown them sold out for a while), etc. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra money, when I can get the Dobinson's on FleaBay for $580 with free shipping. I am a firm believer in the cry once buy once philosophy though, and I really don't want to buy them and then regret it down the road. Is there anything lacking with the Dobinsons that is worth the extra price for any of the other offerings? I don't really care about cool factor and my budget is not unlimited, so I'd like to get the cheapest functional, durable option. That said, if TT restocked, I'd probably go that route today, to keep my money in the good ol' USA.

I'm trying to get out 20 coil conversion kits right now and all by my lonesome at the shop with the stay at home order in place. I have 10 sets cut and bent. Just need a day to fixture and weld for 10 hours and they will be available again. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

J

I'm trying to get out 20 coil conversion kits right now and all by my lonesome at the shop with the stay at home order in place. I have 10 sets cut and bent. Just need a day to fixture and weld for 10 hours and they will be available again. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

J
Just saw this researching upper control arms, are the coil conversion kits you mentioned in this post to convert and 100 series from torsion bars to front springs?

I like mine FWIW. Sitting at 21 1/2 -5/8” in the front with 3.5° caster. I’d probably buy the assembled ones vs beating up the paint to install the ball joints myself if I had to do it over again.

I like mine FWIW. Sitting at 21 1/2 -5/8” in the front with 3.5° caster. I’d probably buy the assembled ones vs beating up the paint to install the ball joints myself if I had to do it over again.
I read somewhere that a hand press wont work to install the ball joint. Will the C clamp type you can rent from the auto parts store that can connect to a socket or impact wrench work?

The paint is pretty thick and it was just impossible to drive straight for me. A little die grinder beveling action and you should be good to go either way ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom