Dobinsons 100 Series Suspension options - full breakdown (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After what seems like a year of waiting, the Dobinsons front V8 torsion bars are finally back in stock!!

I ordered the full IMS kit with torsion bars, diff drop, and SPC UCA’s from exitoffroad.com. They showed up quickly and the ride is fantastic. Just enough lift, no more rubbing.

Very happy with the Dobinson kit thus far.

92B90AD1-7A79-4575-86ED-CD0A0E061DF4.jpeg

I ordered the full IMS kit with torsion bars, diff drop, and SPC UCA’s from exitoffroad.com. They showed up quickly and the ride is fantastic. Just enough lift, no more rubbing.

Nice, What size tires are those?

View attachment 2800543

@Trixxx It looks like a sweet ride. Very nicely done!

I like Dobonsons IMS because they ride and handle well on the road and then take all of my rock crawling abuse off-road.

1635256730361.png

Love it! What size lift did you get and how does it feel with the OME torsion bars?

I was aiming for a 2" front with a 3" rear. It worked out with a bit more lift in the rear unless I'm heavily loaded. I don't really have anything to compare it to since AHC was a mess and the bushings were shot when I replaced it. I wanted Dobinsons HD TBs at the time I bought the suspension. Due to availability, I had to settle for OME. I think Dobinsons TBs are OME must be the same spring rate. The nice thing that I hear about Dobinsons bars is they are pre-marked for installation. It cuts out an extra step of having to count splines and using a straight edge to mark the bar before installation. I carry a lot of weight and usually run over GVWR.

I was aiming for a 2" front with a 3" rear. It worked out with a bit more lift in the rear unless I'm heavily loaded. I don't really have anything to compare it to since AHC was a mess and the bushings were shot when I replaced it. I wanted Dobinsons HD TBs at the time I bought the suspension. Due to availability, I had to settle for OME. I think Dobinsons TBs are OME must be the same spring rate. The nice thing that I hear about Dobinsons bars is they are pre-marked for installation. It cuts out an extra step of having to count splines and using a straight edge to mark the bar before installation. I carry a lot of weight and usually run over GVWR.
How does it handle? How I the ride quality? I am thinking about getting IMS shocks with OME TB and rear springs.

How does it handle? How I the ride quality? I am thinking about getting IMS shocks with OME TB and rear springs.
Hard for me to make a comparison to the old since it didn't drive well at all before IMS. I think other members have done a good job of comparing IMS to their previous suspensions.

I will say that I live and drive in an incredibly demanding environment.

I need it to handle like a sports car on dragon-like highway roads (1st picture) on the way to the trailhead.
Yes, this is actually the road (HWY 123) that I travel in the picture below to get to one of the trails in the 2nd picture.

Welcome to my world. :)

1635031342995.png

1635031605590.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't say they're stiff at all, the spring rate is quite low for a large vehicle. Could have been your shocks perhaps?

The C59-167 and C59-169 both have the same spring rate, 227LBF/IN. That's the same rate the back of my 5th gen 4runner uses, within a few LBS.

The C59-171 on the other hand are 328LF/IN, now that's a beefy/strong spring rate.
how would the 167's compare to the OME-2860 -- Medium Load 2" Lift?

how would the 167's compare to the OME-2860 -- Medium Load 2" Lift?
2860's spring rate is 220, and the 167's are 227lbs, so they'd ride pretty much the same. The 167's are 5mm taller in free height on both sides than the 2860's.

Dobinsons sale starts Monday the 8th. Click here for full details:

November Sale.jpg

@crikeymike , when do you think you'll have the cs59-171's back in stock? I am looking at replacing my ome 864's with these to bring me back to around 3" in the rear. Running full armor, drawers, fridge, on board water dogs etc.. Does anyone have experience with needing more than the 864's, and if so, what did you go with? I was also looking at the ome 868's. The 171's have a slightly lower spring rate than the 868's, but the 171's are a little longer. Decisions... I tried the tough dog constant load heavy duty and they didn't give me the height I wanted.

@crikeymike Question on the IMS shocks for a 2-2.5" lift (front shocks). How much additional weight is recommended up front for the valving of these shocks?

Last edited:
In case anybody thought I was kidding about the brand new (less than 5 miles) LC200 getting a full Dobinsons IMS MRR suspension and lift, here's proof.

I think the owner has one or two other cruisers with Dobinsons and wanted the new LC200 to have the lift and feel.

1637324660854.png

1637324823608.png

1637324870603.png

1637324933861.png

1637325012926.png

I'll adjust my question, I meant for it to ask the vendor specifically.

Shock valving varies greatly and weight/load matters.
The aftermarket shocks are valved more aggressively and Dobinsons isnt doing custom valving.

The torsion bars are what one orders/installs to support the heavier weight of added items, not the shock.

"These do not have any valving adjustment. From the manufacturer: Dobinsons IMS Monotube Shock Absorbers are designed for next level performance over Twin Tube Shocks in those hot, harsh, demanding conditions."

From their site:
"Our IMS shock absorbers are made from the world’s highest quality external and internal parts sourced worldwide. They provide a significant increase in performance over the standard shock absorbers. Our IMS shock absorbers feature larger bodies, larger bores and increased valving performance to dramatically improve vehicle handling and control and reduces shock fade."

A simple search could have told you all of this information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom