DOBINSON SUSPENSION PROJECT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen , i recently installed a dobinsons "lift kit" , coils & shocks . front coils Model# 220v (40mm lift), rear 269v (45mm lift) , shocks gs59-683 & gs59-682 . I run a 97 80 series that was basically stock with the exception of 1 1/4" (aprox) spacers on all 4 corners , with 32" tires . I havent yet had a chance to run the rig for a test run . My center of hub to flare was a bit different on all 4 corners pre "lift". after i get a good run in i will measure the post install height . I dont know what 40mm & 45mm lift means respectively from whatever the "standard" height coils in the catalogue was ? I didn't re-install the spacers yet , i want to see how the ride is first with just the new "kit" . this weekend will be a good 200 mile + test run on & off road . If i decide to use the spacers , im concerned about potential castor correction ? I already purchased the dobinsons bushing "kit" just in case . Is there anyone LC owners here in orange county ca , who have a reasonable mechanic , that could perform the control arm bushing work ? I have already been to several shops , just to get an idea of cost$$$ . I have been quoted as high as $500.00 for the labor !! Iam not a weekend mechanic man myself , but if i cant find a reasonable price then "lifting " any higher (with the spacers) may not happen . I did my research with many of the usual suspects (other suspension companies) that everyone knows , and searched on this forum as well, and i believe for the $$ the dobinsons variable coils are the best designed & engineered (regardless of lift desired) for best fitment on the LC 80 series . the shocks are descent for what they are , yes i could have spent $300+ per shock with the dobinsons model mr59-60682/3 , or another high performance like fox , radflo ect....
Ill check back in next week with my commentary . Btw dobinsons customer service and David especially are very helpful . I must have called him 4x before i ordered .
Happy thanksgiving !
Marc

Gentlemen Happy Holidays ,
I have an update from my dobinsons suspension project from a month ago . The on hwy ride is smoother/stable (in regard to speed bumps , and other irregular road surfaces ) . More stable in turns (less body lean) . off road ride on forest roads , trails ect.... is smoother , less jolting , i haven't been able to asses articulation . will be heading out to the desert this weekend for some more fun !! The ride is definitely improved overall .
post install height as follows : center of hub to bottom of flair +/- 1/8" , with no 1" spacer , i have about 3/4" of "rake" . I may next spring/summer add in spacers ?
DFS 21 1/2"
PFS 21 1/2"
DRS 21 1/2"
PRS 21 1/2"

FYI prior to the install with all stock , and 1" spacers only .
DFS 21 1/4 "
PFS 21"
DRS 21"
PRS 20 1/2"

PICS PICS PICS

I'll have some photos tomorrow

Marc

I'll have some photos tomorrow

Marc
Photos of my rig
IMG_20181227_071902.jpg
IMG_20181227_072053.jpg
IMG_20181227_072218_1.jpg
IMG_20181227_072249.jpg
IMG_20181227_072134_1.jpg

Couple more
IMG_20181227_071956.jpg
IMG_20181227_071819.jpg
:cheers:

Thanks for documenting!

40mm = 1.6 inches, so given your measurements (minus spacer) the advertised lift seems pretty spot on. :)

Thanks for documenting!

40mm = 1.6 inches, so given your measurements (minus spacer) the advertised lift seems pretty spot on. :)
I would say that's a fair statement . I'm sure every rig will have slightly different results but their specs seem to be fairly accurate. I may consider after about six months of driving and off roading to put back in spacers for a little more lift?

Hey OC Cruiser 97-
Love your truck! I’m thinking of going with a Dobinsons setup similar to yours for my ‘96. How has the last month been? Did you end up installing the castor correction bushings and/or spring spacers?

Looks great, right in the zone of what I'm looking for as well.

Hey OC Cruiser 97-
Love your truck! I’m thinking of going with a Dobinsons setup similar to yours for my ‘96. How has the last month been? Did you end up installing the castor correction bushings and/or spring spacers?
I have been off road twice in the last month-and-a-half. The LC handles great , much better over terrain and the performance is stable. I have not added any spacers or any caster correction at this point. if I do enhance the suspension any further it most likely won't be till this coming summer or later. I'm very pleased with the way it rides now.

Looks great, right in the zone of what I'm looking for as well.
I can tell you that their products are well engineered and designed specifically for the vehicle . The difference in the ride and handling on and off highway is significant. But when you're spending after labor and the kit over $1,000 it should be significant.

I'm getting the same springs i.e. C59-220V (front) and C59-269V (Rear). For shocks, I went with Dobinsons IMS. Currently I have stock suspension with a full length roof, sliders, custom aftermarket bumpers, 3rd row seats, and a factory rear swing-out spare tire mount. I'm also planning to install 2-stage full sound deadening (minus the roof).

I was initially look at 223V for the rear, but I believe they would be much stiffer than I'd want. I don't load-up too much for trips. Just a family of 5 with luggage. THe truck is daily driven on not-so-smooth roads, so I didn't want a jarring rear end.

The package would be delivered by early January, so I'll post my review after installing and testing.

I'm getting the same springs i.e. C59-220V (front) and C59-269V (Rear). For shocks, I went with Dobinsons IMS. Currently I have stock suspension with a full length roof, sliders, custom aftermarket bumpers, 3rd row seats, and a factory rear swing-out spare tire mount. I'm also planning to install 2-stage full sound deadening (minus the roof).

I was initially look at 223V for the rear, but I believe they would be much stiffer than I'd want. I don't load-up too much for trips. Just a family of 5 with luggage. THe truck is daily driven on not-so-smooth roads, so I didn't want a jarring rear end.

The package would be delivered by early January, so I'll post my review after installing and testing.
Dobinson is a good suspension choice IMHO . Products are well made and designed . I have had my dobinson2" lift suspension for 4 years now and have been very pleased with the performance to date . I ultimately did add a 30mm spacer to get a little more body lift, No caster correction or steering issues . I originally got the Nitro charged shocks, not the IMS . Not sure how much more of a difference the IMS shock will make for the higher $$ cost? My primary use of my 80 series is moderate 4 wheeling & overlanding . Not a Daily vehicle.

Dobinson is a good suspension choice IMHO . Products are well made and designed . I have had my dobinson2" lift suspension for 4 years now and have been very pleased with the performance to date . I ultimately did add a 30mm spacer to get a little more body lift, No caster correction or steering issues . I originally got the Nitro charged shocks, not the IMS . Not sure how much more of a difference the IMS shock will make for the higher $$ cost? My primary use of my 80 series is moderate 4 wheeling & overlanding . Not a Daily vehicle.

So you now have about 3" lift without caster correction?

The IMS shocks are supposed to be much better than the twin-tube yellow shocks. They're essentially non-res version of the MRA shocks. I couldn't justify the price increase of MRA over IMS for my use. I went with the IMS because they get virtually zero fade. On a trip earlier this year, up in the mountains with about 10 hours of brutal rocky roads at 13500 ft. elevation and my OEM Tokico shocks gave up by the end of it and I had really bad shock fade.

I'll post the review after testing.

So you now have about 3" lift without caster correction?

The IMS shocks are supposed to be much better than the twin-tube yellow shocks. They're essentially non-res version of the MRA shocks. I couldn't justify the price increase of MRA over IMS for my use. I went with the IMS because they get virtually zero fade. On a trip earlier this year, up in the mountains with about 10 hours of brutal rocky roads at 13500 ft. elevation and my OEM Tokico shocks gave up by the end of it and I had really bad shock fade.

I'll post the review after testing.
When manufacturers of suspension kits reference "lift" . This is a general Reference, every vehicle will experience a different end result . I would say that my overall lift is under 3" . My steering is not impacted by Castor correction issues .

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom