Do you trust your 80 for travel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd go anywhere without hesitation. Well, Belize may be pushing it, but not due to the mileage--more the bandidos. That's one reason I love these trucks. x2 on the rough running after water. I just washed one of mine under hood and the cel kept coming on, then going off as the engine stumbled. Thought I'd just do a quick wash, but as things go I got a little aggressive and got moisture into distributer. The funny thing is that I thought it was the water in the distributer making it run like that, but as soon as I checked the code with the Scangauge then reset it, the idle turned silky smooth again. My oil light acts similar to those that have chimed in- flashes if I let the oil get to bottom of crosshatched area on dipstick.

Would not hesitate to go anywhere in mine. Just did a 2,100 mile round trip to NY and Canada and back this month. The 80 is definitely not as comfortable or economical as the wifes rides (Park Avenue or new Camry) but had to take it to pick up my whitewater canoes for the season. Averaged 14.6 mpg running the interstates and 2 canoes on top for the ride back...I don't think I would have wanted to do it in the 60 though...

...but had to take it to pick up my whitewater canoes for the season. Averaged 14.6 mpg running the interstates and 2 canoes on top for the ride back...I don't think I would have wanted to do it in the 60 though...

Hijack/ What boats are you paddling? /Hijack

My brother and I are doing a big roadtrip next summer out to Alberta/BC and the western states. We're planning on taking the cruiser. I would like to PM the headgasket first, but that's the only real concern I have (no doubt thanks to MUD :D) Gas mileage will suck, but there's no other vehicle I would rather take!

yes I do trust my 80. As others have said, one of the reasons I bought it is because it is so reliable. When things go wrong, you just have accept that it is a ten year+ old vehicle and things do wear out...

...But at least they relatively straightforward to fix.

assuming I could take enough time off, I would, without batting an eye, hop into my 80 (or my wife's for that matter) and drive it pretty much anywhere in the US, Canada, or Mexico/Central America tomorrow.

no question about it.

I just finished an 8000 mile trip from Tahoe, CA to Inuvik, Canada and back. Not one problem. Hit 200k while i was up there too.

I think most of us trust the 80 as far a build quality and design, but every vehicle is going to be different depending on mileage and maintainence. Yours sounds perfectly fine and well up to date. Owned since new, headgasket, PHH, I'm sure well maintained...what more could anyone ask for. I'd probably feel more comfortable taking your rig across the country than any brand new rig from a domestic maker.

The 80 has a few very specific issues that are well documented on this board and as long as they are watched for or addressed you should have no problem. Some have been mentioned, but one I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the melting wires by the EGR valve. Probably one of the most overlooked areas and I would imagine the major culprit for most electric issues, missing issues and probably a few engine lights. Check and address that, clean the EGR if needed and you're rig should be more reliable than many others right off the showroom floor.

Last edited:
Hijack/ What boats are you paddling? /Hijack
Adam, I am an open boater...I have a Dagger Ocoee, Prophet, Quake, Ovation and Impulse. Have 3 flatwater boats too...More than one boat for each day of the week...I was picking up the boats from Watertown, home of the Black River...Great runs on that river...

The 80 has a few very specific issues that are well documented on this board and as long as they are watched for or addressed you should have no problem.

This is true. This board has one of the most extensive collections of knowledge for any vehicle I have ever seen. All the common problems for these trucks have been well documented on here. Once you have done all the baselining and PM to negate any poor or unknown maintenance history, these vehicles are solid.

Adam, I am an open boater...I have a Dagger Ocoee, Prophet, Quake, Ovation and Impulse. Have 3 flatwater boats too...More than one boat for each day of the week...I was picking up the boats from Watertown, home of the Black River...Great runs on that river...

That's a collection and a half! Nice boats, I'm currently looking for an Ocoee to replace my Mohawk. If you ever want to come up and paddle around here let me know!

Our LX450 isn't modified or wheeled C Dan hooked me up and I recently did the front axle, the PHH, and I installed ignition tune-up wires, plugs, rotor & cap.
We have 183K miles on the OD.

After all that PM we did 600 miles this weekend and had NO problems - :princess: was happy and we averaged 16.5 mpg! Loaded with kids and 50 miles of gravel farm road driving.

Even with all suspension bushings washed out, broken rear locker actuator, half finished front bumper and lots of neglected PM, if someone'd pay for my gas, I'd just start driving this thing 'til it won't go anymore. Then we'll see how reliable a vehicle the 80 really is.

You know, we still don't know how long they'll last cos we haven't worn one out yet. :)

I trust my cruiser and finished a 2000 plus miles trip from los angeles, CA to sunriver, OR roundtrip. We had a few check engine lights in the past and the headgasket was replaced, but so far it has always got us home. We take several trips to mammoth, 300 plus miles trip, every year. It is my daily driver as well.
In our experience our 2005 volvo v50 t5 awd is not as reliable. It has had more warning lights on and has stranded us. Also, when the volvo needs repair, it is always so painful.

I hear ya Dan.

I've had mine since new. It's had the HG done and that's the biggest worry past. I got the standard PITA little rear main oil leak only under pressure, but it's got rebuilt birfs, brakes, plugs, coolant, silicone PHH and all the s***. Clean fluids everywhere. About as clean a '97 as you'll find. No rust. Easy to work on. I dunno - maybe I'm just paranoid.

Maybe I just need to keep my wife out of it. Weird s*** only happens when she's driving it. Runs like a top as long as I'm driving it.

What's up with that damn CEL / EGR code. I just went through this all about two years ago.

I had to replace the catalytic converterson mine

I have spent 25 years servicing both Hondas and Toyotas. I have never seen anything as reliable as an FJZ80. I bought this truck after it was rolled over. The left side and roof were crushed beyond recognition. It had 165,000 miles on it. It looked like a barn had hit it. The truck was damaged some.
Within 8 months after the body repairs were done, I took it on a 3,000 mile road trip without back-up. We drove the truck across the Mohave Desert at over 125 degrees local temp. We did it in one afternoon, driving at well over 80 MPH. We only stopped once, at the only shade tree that we saw. I knew that the radiator was leaking. I just filled it up before and after the desert crossing. It ran great for eight hours straight.
My Honda clients used to ask me what the best car is. They wanted to hear me say"Honda" But I answered that not everybody can be Toyota. Being second best is nothing to sneeze at.

Paranoid people by Land Cruisers, especially the 80 series. That is what this forum is all about.

Go get a blackstone oil report, hook up a scangauge II, and then listen very carefully when you drive it for everything that is going wrong :flipoff2:

Your 80 needs to be wheeled, rigs with a soul that aren't wheeled start flashing codes, it's no different than men in sexless marriages.

Currently my trip vehicle is the '08 DC Tundra. Due to 'deferred maintenance' and 'real life' neither of the Cruisers istrusted on trips. Last time my SO took the '92 for a trip, it rust-proofed itself with half the contents of the trusty A440F.

I must say, though, the Cruisers are *much* more comfortable on trips. One of these years, I will my trust '94 again...

Everytime someone posts up a "what the hell is that noise? Is my truck gonna blow up?!?!" or "OMG!!! My truck's leaking!!! Is this gonna strand me in the middle of Death Valley tomorrow?!?!?!" thread, all I can think is that this must be their first Land Cruiser.

Your 80 needs to be wheeled, rigs with a soul that aren't wheeled start flashing codes, it's no different than men in sexless marriages.

There is some sig-line material..............:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom