Do you see the problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my fj40, SBC, SM465, AA transfer case adapter, landcruiser transfer case. The backing plate is just touching the frame crossmember.
I'm looking for suggestion on what to do about this...
I cant/dont want to lower the tranfer case as that will create to much downward angle in the driveline.....
Any Ideas????
IMAG0466.jpg
IMAG0467.jpg

how about shaving down the motor and transfercase mounts 1/4 or 1/2 inch everything lowers down. no angle change.

I would use a BFH to beat the crap out of the cross member... just enough for the clearance.

No welding, no cutting..... although you could heat the tube before you wack it.

It doesn't look like you'll have enough room for the transmission output shaft cover in there either.

It wouldn't be too hard to remove the x-member, tack on some scab plates and re-weld it a few inches aft.

If you are willing to whack it, that is an easy solution. My initial inclination was to cut a notch and weld a flat plate into the notch for clearance and strength.

It doesn't look like you'll have enough room for the transmission output shaft cover in there either.

It wouldn't be too hard to remove the x-member, tack on some scab plates and re-weld it a few inches aft.

The camera angle makes the space for the output shaft cover look tighter than it is- while it is tight, I do believe that will fit without any contact at all.

I realize that I could also cut out the cross member- I was actually thinking it would be easier to mock one up out of some square tube I have, weld it in and just zip the stock one out.

However I never even thought about shaving down the motor mounts and lowering the entire driveline- I will look at that option as well!!

Is this a common issue on SBC conversions???

Never had any clearance issues with my conversion. I do have an NV4500 tranny so I might not have the same problems that you do.
Before I started cutting and wacking I'de call AA and see what they say.

I'm also not convinced I'm going to use that propeller type transfer case mount. Its there to hold everything in place until I try to mock up a mount that goes to the bottom of the AA adapter...although it may become permanent as well:meh:

This is a common problem with the SBC/700R4 conversion. I just move the cross-member back, making sure there is enough room to pull the t-case without going through any special gyrations.

I'm also not convinced I'm going to use that propeller type transfer case mount. Its there to hold everything in place until I try to mock up a mount that goes to the bottom of the AA adapter...although it may become permanent as well:meh:

Lots of people have spoken against the propeller. If you can, make the mount you're talking about and get rid of it.

This is a common problem with the SBC/700R4 conversion. I just move the cross-member back, making sure there is enough room to pull the t-case without going through any special gyrations.

Is it better to weld or bolt them into there new location...
I ask this because when I was explaing the idea of moving it to a friend, he said it was a bad idea to weld it in and that I should bolt it in....I'm not too sure I agree with him, and I didnt quite follow his theory behind it either.....

Its stronger to be welded. In most modern vehicles they are bolted in for sake of removal or repair of transmission or transfer case. If it were me I would for sure bolt it in since I have had work around both types and its not fun if they are welded

I had mine moved and rewelded in the next frame slot back. No issues at all after years of rock crawling abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom