Do not use 3M Super 77 for headliner adhesive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did you get the old stock glue off? I am in the process of stripping off the 40 year old glue/foam from the fiberglass top and having no luck at all. Carb cleaner turns it into an unholy mess and soap has no affect at all. So far just scraping it off is the only thing that works but that would take days to complete. ???
If it is contact cement lacquer thinner is the solvent and heat will release the glue. You also do not need to remove old contact as new will bond to old as long as you scuff the surface. We have done this with counter tops for years. Hope that helps.

If it is contact cement lacquer thinner is the solvent and heat will release the glue. You also do not need to remove old contact as new will bond to old as long as you scuff the surface. We have done this with counter tops for years. Hope that helps.

Having worked professionally for many years with solvent based contact cement I will chime in and say that woodman40 is correct with his statements about solvent based contact cement. And by the way, completely removing contact cement very much depends on how porous the substrate material is. If the substrate has a slick surface you will be more successful, but you will still use a lot of rags and a lot of lacquer thinner, and a lot of elbow grease.

Don

Last edited:
We use 3M spray 90 for many applications. seems to have a stronger bond but can bleed thru fabric if put on too heavy. Not sure the differance between the two but i do think the 90 is a stronger (and more immediate) bond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom