Do I remove Running Boards or just let them get Mangled? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Running Boards have taken a few bad hits on rocks recently and I was wondering if I should remove them to keep them in good shape for when I resell or whether they are best left on and used for protection?

If I remove them what is recommended as a replacement to protect the body in that area and to assist in entry?

They are worth little, if anything. I would remove them to prevent having one deflect up and damage a rocker.

Sliders are the replacement.

Well, having bent the hell out of my running boards, taken them off and replaced with sliders.....here are my thoughts. If you want them pristine to use when not wheeling, take them off when you wheel. Easy job. Some will say leaving them on is a potential damage multiplier to the rocker panels. Others will point out that by leaving them on, you will mess them up but they will tell you when you've hit something (i.e. an early warning system). The later option won't allow you to sell them later. You say they've taken some bad hits already, so are they really sellable at this point? Pics would help.

If you do rocks, get sliders. Several folks including Hanna, Slee, 4x4 all make good quality products.

Leaving the running boards on will provide very little protection, IMHO.

Remove them. there is a market for these things...I know -- I just sold the set that I pulled off the wife's 80 for $75 ;)
I'll be delivering them to him later this week.

I posted an ad on craigslist with a few pics.
Free. Easy. Now I have a few extra $$$ to put towards the rig.
:D

Last week I replaced the running boards (one very small dent) with Hanna sliders. (HannaQuality.com) Man are those things beefy, good to know they will do some serious protecting. They protect the ridiculously low cats as well. I think these sliders will pay for themselves many times over.

If anyone has a rust free set of factory running boards in good condition, I'd be interested.

As much as sliders are awesome, I don't "wheel" and the extra weight of sliders wouldn't do much for my mileage.

The factory running boards are functional for my usage. One of mine has rusted badly and has a broken mount and the other is on its way out.

Please shoot me a PM if you have a straight, rust free set.

Charlie

Take them off and put sliders on I bent one of mine up befor I took them off.I made my own it was a lot cheaper but every one can't do that you need the equipment to do it.

I may be the lone dissenter here, but I liked having my running boards on (after the first few really bad hits). Mine held up pretty well for more than a year of moderate wheeling. I liked being able to return home and bang them back to form with a sledge and a 2x4. They saved my rockers a couple of times. At very least, I used them as a guage for "learning my limits." I knew that I was going to end up with a pair of Slee Step Sliders so I did not feel bad about bashing mine up. I guess it really depends on your intentions with your truck. To me, the $100 that you may give up to keep them pristine vs. exploring the FULL capabilities of your cruiser and knowing you have a moderate buffer is well worth it. (I never got real crazy and used them as a "pivot point" or anything either)

I bent the piss out of mine at CMCC this past year and sure as hell wish I would have taken mine off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom