Do all wives do this............? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True story...
I bought a brand new Camry LE in 1998. FF to 2011, we had put a little over 190K miles on it and this was my wife's DD for her long daily commute to work. All is well until one Friday evening, she walks in and tells me that there is a grinding noise from the engine area that started a couple of miles before she reached home. So, I went out to see what's up. There's nothing broken on the outside, no physical damage to anything visible, no leaks of any sort. So, I put the key in, and turn it without starting the engine and watch the gauges. Everything is normal, except there is that oil can pressure that remained on. So, I thought it is probably low. I look up on the windshield to check the little sticker, and did not find it there. Figured that it might have fallen off at some time. And then I turn the key to start it and heard the loudest of screeches & banging from the engine. I might have held the key turned for not more than 2-3 seconds and knew what the problem was. I walk in and ask her, "Do you remember how long is that oil pressure light been ON and when was the last time you took it for an oil change?" and this was the response, "That light has been ON for many months now. I did not bother to check it out since the car was running fine". I repeated my question about the last oil change, and she said, "I think you took it for an oil change the last time we went to NYC". So, I start thinking back to when that trip was made and realized it has been over 25K miles since the last oil change :mad: I did not even bother about fixing that car as I knew it was not going to be worth the hassle with getting that engine replaced/rebuilt. Just pushed that car onto the curb, and called Salvation army to come and get it the next week.

Since then, I've just made it a routine for myself to change oil & filter in all my cars myself when they're on the multiples of 5000's on the odometer. I've bought a few used cars since then that were somewhere in the middle and they all got an oil change as soon as they come home and on the immediate next multiple of 5000, unless the previous oil change was within 5-600 miles. It is easy this way and I don't have to remember / write down when the last oil change was done etc. Once a year, all air filters get replaced along with a transmission drain and refill as well.
I think this was in an episode of Home Improvement... :rofl:

I see it as my duty to trade cars with my wife at least once a month if not more, especially since she's oblivious to car mechanics. Can't count how many times I catch even the little things by this technique.

Another full use of break pads and even rotors...

PhotoGrid_1603579901201.jpg

Married a car girl so she notices everything and anything that isn't "normal". When I told her I greased the prop shaft and it eliminated the thunk when coming to a stop, her reply was yah I noticed that as well. Nothing gets past this woman, and forget about buying mods and keeping it away from her as she KNOWS

Sticky caliper too?

Yes, a possibility. I just inspected the slide pins on mine and they were in need of cleaning and lubrication. That contributed to the situation I experienced. So that part is my fault. I hadn't checked them in about 3 years when I last did the brakes back there.

Married a car girl so she notices everything and anything that isn't "normal". When I told her I greased the prop shaft and it eliminated the thunk when coming to a stop, her reply was yah I noticed that as well. Nothing gets past this woman, and forget about buying mods and keeping it away from her as she KNOWS

You've got a 'keeper'.

Continue to keep her happy! 👍

You've got a 'keeper'.

Continue to keep her happy! 👍
Thanks she's a great woman, we both have his and hers Golf R's mine is white and hers is black both manuals. She does most of the mods herself just the more challenging ones she'll ask me or the tech at the shop she manages to do it for her.

Thanks she's a great woman, we both have his and hers Golf R's mine is white and hers is black both manuals. She does most of the mods herself just the more challenging ones she'll ask me or the tech at the shop she manages to do it for her.

Dang...........she have a Sister? ;)

That's freakin awesome. My wife and I have his & hers Subarus, but nothing fancy. She's also actively involved in designing the storage system that's going into my hundy.

She really wants a Mini Cooper S or Works. Manual, of course. Hot lady who loves hot cars.

Most of our time in the cruiser is spent playing " what's that noise " so luckily my gal is pretty dialed into what's normal and what's not. May not be able to tell me what the noise is but at least she's listening.

My gf ran out of fuel multiple times, and i had to go rescue her. Feminists come and fight me, but most women in general do not pay attention to odd sounds, lights on gauge, or car driving funny.

Well... a few hundred bucks later and a little of my time and we're good to go again.

New Brembo's on each side and Ceramic pads. Sliding pins needed some attention *were getting sticky*. Adjusted the parking brakes while I was in there. All in all.......not that big of a deal I suppose.
Was going to have to do it soon anyway. But this 'Fall' when temps are more bearable would have been nice. But nothing breaks down during nice weather *for me*.

Oh well.........its done now.

Thanks for the laughs....guys, checking back here and cooling off a bit made it easier. 👍

Brembos.jpg

Yokohama Geolandar GO15's are holding up well.

Yokos.jpg

My fiancee used to get self conscious when I would drive her IS250 because she always thought I'd pick it apart and find tons of stuff wrong with it. It's almost always been fine.

Luckily I'm in complete control of the care of her new car so now I get to be self conscious when she drives 😆

The "weird noise" in my case was the skid plate on the 1st gen tundra I used to have dragging along under the truck due to 2 sheared bolts. Luckily, there was a pretty good bump about a block back from our apartment where a "bang" happened. I'm glad it didn't happen to her on the interstate.
This all reminds me that I need to drive her vehicle once in a while though.

Flint-
Re-education camp for the Mrs. How long ya’ll been married? She certainly would have picked up some spidey sense from you over the years. You might have to commandeer her truck for a shake down drive monthly to make sure all’s in-order

Flint-
Re-education camp for the Mrs. How long ya’ll been married? She certainly would have picked up some spidey sense from you over the years. You might have to commandeer her truck for a shake down drive monthly to make sure all’s in-order

37 years this June, so pretty set in her ways. But yes, 'shake down' drive periodically... makes good sense. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom