How do these axles look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having some work done to a 105, and I wanted to see what people thought about these axles. I'm being told they need rebuilt. It's way beyond my technical expertise, and I want a second opinion for some peace of mind before I pull the trigger.

PHOTO-2023-10-27-12-48-37 2.jpg
PHOTO-2023-10-27-12-48-37.jpg

PHOTO-2023-10-27-12-48-35.jpg
PHOTO-2023-10-27-12-48-36 2.jpg
PHOTO-2023-10-27-12-48-36.jpg

Showoff! :cool:

Rear spindle (the shiny piece) looks OK to me, front spindle might need to be polished up (then reassessed, hard to tell if I'm looking at gunk or something worse), and the knuckle balls look pretty normal, too.

All of it appears as if it's halfway through a rebuild anyway?

Looks normal to me, Just repack the bearings and add enough grrease to those swivel joints, install the repair kit including the inner seals. The OEM front seals are notorious to leak, so I went with Marlin Crawler earth seals on our Hilux LN 106 few years ago and it is good so far. make sure you tighten the bearings in the front. I went with the youtube video posted by lowrange offroad (Toyota solid axle rebuild).

Stub axles are in good shape and the only wear I can see is from the rear seal. Take a heavy sanding disc to the knuckle to remove the pitting and then sand back to smooth. There is a lot of metal there so do not worry about taking some off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom