Do all wives do this............? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Mrs. comes home today and says she thought she was hearing a grinding noise when she stepped on the brakes. Then said no "she was sure she heard something".

I asked her how long this had been going on? Just started?

No....she replied. "Since Friday I think". And *this is Monday*. Said she meant to tell me about it but forgot until today.

So....I went out, got in the vehicle and pulled it forward a bit. Stepped on the brakes and it sounded like someone was dragging the hood of a truck down a gravel road. Pulled the brake caliper and the inside pad was metal on metal to the rotor.

Rotor is shot now. DEEPLY grooved...no way to turn it down. I asked her to stop and 'text' me next time she hears anything out of the ordinary, just in case she forgets to later....I'll at least be notified.

I think that some women *and maybe men* think that unless the vehicle has actually died or come grinding to a halt, its OK to keep driving. ???? IDK

Grinding Noise.jpg

agreed! at least it is the rear :)
My wife did call me when front wheel bearings went out on the 2005 Pilot (before she totaled it)...but that is what got me a 100 series!

well, if you play your cards right, you could get more value out of this than the cost of the rotor... Be noble and forgiving with just the tiniest needed bit of guilt-tripping.... Lucky you! :)

The title to this thread needs a rethink.

Sorry dude. It’s your fault or whoever is servicing the truck. Brakes should have never been allowed to get that low before being replaced. Don’t blame the poor wife. ”someone” dropped the ball here. Just sayin

I do the service on the vehicle but I can't go out there daily and do a 'pre-flight' check on it. I do keep records of the work I do on our vehicles to remind me to check certain 'wear parts'.

With respect to the brakes....the pads have a small metal 'wear indicator' *on fronts* that will produce a grinding/screeching sound when the pads reach a certain point. This should NOT be ignored or otherwise go unnoticed.

And further....when you absolutely, without a doubt KNOW there is something amiss but FAIL to inform the person who services the vehicle, then yeah....I think some culpability is at play. ;)

Last edited:
The title to this thread needs a rethink.

Not. ;)

Of course, all wives/women do not do this. And I'm more than certain men do this as well *just keep on driving the damn thing*.

The title is purposely 'tongue in cheek', but apparently not readily obvious to all. I have to state that to avoid being labeled misogynistic in these days and times.

It does make me wonder what folks are thinking though....when they KNOW there is an odd sound or other indication something isn't right but continue to drive the vehicle, put it out of mind...or simply forget!

But this is not really anything new for me....having been married to the woman for 37 years now, I can pretty much expect some of this from time to time. She is pretty much the 'get in and drive it' type and as long it gets her from point A to point B....all is good.

Daughter seems to have inherited that gene as well. :) God bless them .

Last edited:
“Hey babe my tire feels weird when I drive….”
“How long has it felt like that?”
“Just a couple weeks, I don’t really remember when it started”:rolleyes:

AD7392B1-3972-4EFF-9F8D-4EEC07C40B99.jpeg

With respect to the brakes....the pads have a small metal 'wear indicator' that will produce a grinding/screeching sound when the pads reach a certain point. This should NOT be ignored or otherwise go unnoticed was my point.
The rear pads do not have the metal wear indicator :(

The rear pads do not have the metal wear indicator :(

They do now, metal backing of pad on rotor surface. :rofl:

Seriously, did not know that....and didn't look. So that pre-warning does not apply and I will edit my post. Thank you for the info. 👍

I'm lucky, my wife grew up in a "car guy" house, so she's been taught to pay careful attention to weird sounds, smells, or movements in the car. Talking of brakes, she actually once told me the front brakes on her Crosstrek needed to be replaced. I did a brake job and discovered the wear indicator had just started kissing the rotor.

God, I love that woman.

True story...
I bought a brand new Camry LE in 1998. FF to 2011, we had put a little over 190K miles on it and this was my wife's DD for her long daily commute to work. All is well until one Friday evening, she walks in and tells me that there is a grinding noise from the engine area that started a couple of miles before she reached home. So, I went out to see what's up. There's nothing broken on the outside, no physical damage to anything visible, no leaks of any sort. So, I put the key in, and turn it without starting the engine and watch the gauges. Everything is normal, except there is that oil can pressure that remained on. So, I thought it is probably low. I look up on the windshield to check the little sticker, and did not find it there. Figured that it might have fallen off at some time. And then I turn the key to start it and heard the loudest of screeches & banging from the engine. I might have held the key turned for not more than 2-3 seconds and knew what the problem was. I walk in and ask her, "Do you remember how long is that oil pressure light been ON and when was the last time you took it for an oil change?" and this was the response, "That light has been ON for many months now. I did not bother to check it out since the car was running fine". I repeated my question about the last oil change, and she said, "I think you took it for an oil change the last time we went to NYC". So, I start thinking back to when that trip was made and realized it has been over 25K miles since the last oil change :mad: I did not even bother about fixing that car as I knew it was not going to be worth the hassle with getting that engine replaced/rebuilt. Just pushed that car onto the curb, and called Salvation army to come and get it the next week.

Since then, I've just made it a routine for myself to change oil & filter in all my cars myself when they're on the multiples of 5000's on the odometer. I've bought a few used cars since then that were somewhere in the middle and they all got an oil change as soon as they come home and on the immediate next multiple of 5000, unless the previous oil change was within 5-600 miles. It is easy this way and I don't have to remember / write down when the last oil change was done etc. Once a year, all air filters get replaced along with a transmission drain and refill as well.

True story...
I bought a brand new Camry LE in 1998. FF to 2011, we had put a little over 190K miles on it and this was my wife's DD for her long daily commute to work. All is well until one Friday evening, she walks in and tells me that there is a grinding noise from the engine area that started a couple of miles before she reached home. So, I went out to see what's up. There's nothing broken on the outside, no physical damage to anything visible, no leaks of any sort. So, I put the key in, and turn it without starting the engine and watch the gauges. Everything is normal, except there is that oil can pressure that remained on. So, I thought it is probably low. I look up on the windshield to check the little sticker, and did not find it there. Figured that it might have fallen off at some time. And then I turn the key to start it and heard the loudest of screeches & banging from the engine. I might have held the key turned for not more than 2-3 seconds and knew what the problem was. I walk in and ask her, "Do you remember how long is that oil pressure light been ON and when was the last time you took it for an oil change?" and this was the response, "That light has been ON for many months now. I did not bother to check it out since the car was running fine". I repeated my question about the last oil change, and she said, "I think you took it for an oil change the last time we went to NYC". So, I start thinking back to when that trip was made and realized it has been over 25K miles since the last oil change :mad: I did not even bother about fixing that car as I knew it was not going to be worth the hassle with getting that engine replaced/rebuilt. Just pushed that car onto the curb, and called Salvation army to come and get it the next week.

Since then, I've just made it a routine for myself to change oil & filter in all my cars myself when they're on the multiples of 5000's on the odometer. I've bought a few used cars since then that were somewhere in the middle and they all got an oil change as soon as they come home and on the immediate next multiple of 5000, unless the previous oil change was within 5-600 miles. It is easy this way and I don't have to remember / write down when the last oil change was done etc. Once a year, all air filters get replaced along with a transmission drain and refill as well.

Great story. There is a lesson to be learned in it. Sorry it happened to you though.

Excellent remedy to it. I like the idea of using mileage multiples, easy to remember. Very smart. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom