do all 60's get terriable mpg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i love my fj 60 but man it it gets bad mpg, can you swap a old chevy 2 bbl on these?i am guessing iam getting 8-10 mpg off road where my 4 runner gets 25 -30 mpg off road.i have gotten 400 mi. on a tank in my 97 4-runner and about the same in my tacoma but the 60 gets about 175 mi. out of a tank just putting off road.freeway is way differant .

i used to get 20+ mpg around town all the time in my 60

with a 21ft sailboat in town i got 18mpg thru the mtns of northern GA.

About the only way to get more MPG's out of a 60 (more than 15-17mpg) is a diesel swap.

It won't "pay for it's self" unless you get some seriously free parts but it's still pretty cool

man i miss my old 60!!!

About the only way to get more MPG's out of a 60 (more than 15-17mpg) is a diesel swap.

It won't "pay for it's self" unless you get some seriously free parts but it's still pretty cool

man i miss my old 60!!!

Are you sure you did that math right:eek:

I'd suggest you accurately measure your (on-road) gas mileage for a tank or two, and report back. It does sound like you've got something wrong, though.

I'm also trying to improve the mileage of our 60 right now, and chasing a number of ideas, including timing, carb cleaning and adjustment, smog equipment, and more.

Also, you didn't even have to search (though you should have). This thread is a sticky: [thread=31563]gas mileage for a 60/62??[/thread]

You're welcome :flipoff2:

dohcdelsol93 when did you sell your 60? Didn't you just finish that bad boy up?

fully smogged
not running the AC
in the city
30 x 9.5 tires

Im getting close to 15mpg..

edit: EGR valve is bypassed w/ golf tees

Last edited:
Let's evaluate the situation...

24+ year old truck...............check
4.2 liter inline 6 cylinder........check
2 barrel carb.......................check
At least 4500lb curb weight...check
10-14 mpg...........................Expect anything more and you're insane.

I'm assuming you mean the tees are inside the vac lines for stealth blockage? Or are they outside, just plugged in?

That's some damned good mileage.

thanks, just passed emissions, so no, they're sticking out of the end of the hoses- mine are tied tied together with a overhand knot. This pic is from another thread. where i got the idea- it worked for my truck. no more hesitation or stuttering while accelerating at low speeds.

egr.jpg

MINE GETS 100 MPG.....DOWN HILL WITH THE ENGINE OFF ABOUT 13MPG ON THE WAY UP:flipoff2:

Are you sure you did that math right:eek:

man i miss my old 60!!!

Pretty sure he's talkin' bout his 4bd1t.....:D

All 60's get poor mileage. Nature of the beast. However, your 8-10 is low even for a 60.

8-10 doesn't sound terrible for off-road. What does it get on the highway?

The highest I ever got so far was 15.375, Lowest 14.250.

WC

Three aspects of a vehicle design will give it low fuel economy.

1. Weight "Mass"
It takes energy to accelerate mass up to a given speed. The amount of energy needed depends on the wight of the object. Since the 60 is a heavy truck, it requires more fuel to accelerate that vehicle up to a given speed. This is partly the reason why there is alot of plastics in today's cars, to meed the city fuel requirements set forth by the federal government. Take all unnecessary heavy objects out of your truck, and it will get better fuel economy.

2 Drag "coefficient of cd"
Old land cruisers are like a parachute. Thay create lots of drag at highway speeds. A vehicle like this can use up to 40 of its fuel offsetting the drag at highway speeds. You can do some things to improve fuel economy of your truck by as much as 20%. Belly pan to reduce turbulence. Wheel opens that are cowled. Moon disk for the wheels which can be removed if you go off road. Most of a vehicles drag, is in the rear of the vehicle.

3. engine fuel efficiency
This can be easily done with a engine swap with a modern fuel efficient engine. The engine would have cylinders that shut of some of the cylinders during highway speeds and would be lighter for better city millage

Aerodynamic Fuel Economy Savers for Road Vehicles
Futuristic trucks...more on the super-slippery MAN Concept S tractor for tomorrow on Biglorryblog! - Biglorryblog
214 MPG DIY Super-Aerodynamic Modified Honda 125cc Motorbike : TreeHugger

I think it would be a worth while project for you to take on to modify the surfaces of your truck to reduce the drag and increase your fuel economy. For that, ever thought of take a class in sheet metal and put add ons your truck? You could be the first person on ih8mud to do so.

I bet if you made a supper light trailer that fit the same shape as the roof and sides of your vehicle and projected rear word as a taper, you will see significant fuel economy gains on the highway.

If you can, reduce your speed on the highway. For every mile per hour increated, drag is exponentially increased. Drive at 55 vs 65, and you will see a noticeable change in better fuel economy.

My 60 gets about 13mpg on the highway after the JimC carb rebuild and tune up... before that i was getting about 10mpg....

I agree totally with the statement about the speed you drive... I know in my 60 if i run faster than about 65 my mpg drops like a rock...

:cheers:

dohcdelsol93 when did you sell your 60? Didn't you just finish that bad boy up?

yeah he got the hankerin for a 40 so traded it for one. Problem is the motor blew within 24hrs so now he is in the process of putting a chvy 350 or something along those lines in it asap. It is his primary transportation. I tried to stop him.

i love my fj 60 but man it it gets bad mpg, can you swap a old chevy 2 bbl on these?i am guessing iam getting 8-10 mpg off road where my 4 runner gets 25 -30 mpg off road.i have gotten 400 mi. on a tank in my 97 4-runner and about the same in my tacoma but the 60 gets about 175 mi. out of a tank just putting off road.freeway is way differant .

You get 8-10 OFF ROAD and you are complaining???

You have very flawed expectations.

And you claim that you are getting 25-30 OFF ROAD in your 4 runner???

You must have some sort of science fiction powerplant in your 4runner. There is no way you are getting that kind of mileage off road in a '97 4runner.

Did no one else here even think about these numbers before they replied???

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom