do all 60's get terriable mpg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who thinks before they type ??? :rolleyes:

FWIW, my stock '99 4R V6 got about 10-14mpg tops, Offroad, depending on trail type.
:hmm:

Around town with mixed driving I get about 14. I can get about 15.5 all highway keeping it under 72. I never check off road mileage. It is all about smiles per gallon off road.

The best I have ever got is 17,everything has to be perfect. This is running as close to 2,000 rpms as possible. Mike

Did no one else here even think about these numbers before they replied???

I thought about it, and assumed serious hyperbole. :)

I've never measured my off-road mileage. My BJ42 was very fuel-efficient on and off the road, of course... My last 60 averaged 12 or 13 mpg on the road, and presumably a fair bit less off the road. I might actually measure the consumption on the new one over a couple of trips this summer. Not expecting any great revelations!

Did no one else here even think about these numbers before they replied???

No, I merely intended to show that discussing fuel efficiency with a 24 year old, 5000lb truck was a moot point. Off the show room floor these things were only rated 12 and 14.

Lots of different types of off-roading too.

He could have been driving on a flat dirt road for 50 miles.

OR

Driving 50 miles at 45 degree angles.

Makes a pretty big difference.

My MPG decreases a mile or two when I go off-road. It is to be expected :D

Before the change to a 70 series and when I used to drive a 60 the best mileage I would get was around 30MPG.

That is, in my HJ61 with a 12HT and cruising at 110-120ish KPH.

Lots of different types of off-roading too.

He could have been driving on a flat dirt road for 50 miles.

OR

Driving 50 miles at 45 degree angles.

Makes a pretty big difference.

My MPG decreases a mile or two when I go off-road. It is to be expected :D

Driving on a "dirt road"... is driving on a ROAD.

If your mileage only drops by a mile or two (per gallon I assume)... that is pretty light duty use. Or your on road use is pretty strenuous.

Mark...

Driving on a "dirt road"... is driving on a ROAD.

If your mileage only drops by a mile or two (per gallon I assume)... that is pretty light duty use. Or your on road use is pretty strenuous.

Mark...

Different strokes for different folks.

My wheeling is lighter duty. I don't haul around a lot of stuff like some guys on here do. My 60 shows that it has only been used lightly and I'm proud of it.

FYI 13 mpg on-road. 14 if I have a tail-wind.

after 12474.8 miles and 58 fill-ups these are my numbers:

Average 14.4

MAX 17.8
MIN 11.4

wow, I am a GEEK

Ya but... I assume all these measurements are using the stock odometer??? I'd be very curious for everyone getting over 14 to use the GPS for a tank and compare it to the odometer and see how close they are.

Peter

Denver to Moab (real mileage, aka checked a map): 14.7 not including a brief detour, so probably closer to 15.0 (edit: the odometer says I'm getting like 17 :lol: )

33" rubber overdrive, going about 70mph most of the way (GPS), a few slow mountain passes in there. When I come into some money I'll do a diesel swap and aim for 20+mpg, but considering my 2f has 200k+ miles and leaks from every orifice, I can't complain :D

Ya but... I assume all these measurements are using the stock odometer??? I'd be very curious for everyone getting over 14 to use the GPS for a tank and compare it to the odometer and see how close they are.

Peter

Getting over 14 on the highway is not at all unrealistic or unusual.

Mark...

Mostly 75% city with 25% highway. I just discovered I can actually turn the fuel down a little bit since I rebuilt my leaking, worn out injectors. My mileage should bump up a little once Ive done that. Best so far is 22.4 over a tank.

Off the show room floor these things were only rated 12 and 14.

Exactly. This is why it cracks me up to hear of people getting 20 MPG while towing 9 train cars up a mountain with a 50 know headwind and 9 passengers with lead legs aboard. I must have gotten the low-MPG option on my 2F and didn't realize it. Damn dealerships.

Peter

Corrected for tire size, verified via GPS and highway mile markers over 200+ miles, I run ~12.5% over indicated. Best tank ever was filling up in Leadville, CO and headed east. 20.1 mpg. I average 15-15.5 in warm weather with a pretty even mix of highway, town, and mild offroad. Cold weather I drop to 13ish. I've gotten as low as 10 with extended 4LO time, and usually around 16.5-17.5 on long highway trips running ~70mph.

I'm running 265/75/16 (~32"), 3.70 gears, and an H55; 75 mph is 2500 rpm with that setup. I've got a rack on top, and slightly sagged Mojave suspension that puts me ~3" over stock height. I'm also desmogged.

I've put 14,045 miles on the truck, and 953.8 gallons of fuel in it, according to my log book. My average in the time I've owned it is 14.7.

I'm sure that if I was running stock tires and 4-speed, I'd be closer to 14 mpg on the highway, but I'm turning under 2k at 55 mph with my setup. It does really well!

Wow, I am really going to have to start checking my mpg to see what I am getting. I dont think that I am getting anywhere near 15. I always just figured I was getting around 12. I thought about getting a k&n filter to help a little. I am already fully desmogged so I figured that certianly couldnt hurt. Has anyone crunched the numbers with before and after k&n filter instal?

No, I merely intended to show that discussing fuel efficiency with a 24 year old, 5000lb truck was a moot point. Off the show room floor these things were only rated 12 and 14.
I like your style :) some people fail to realize like you said these cars are 20 plus years old and they want fuel efficiency to be 30mpg or something....haha.

I thought about getting a k&n filter to help a little. I am already fully desmogged so I figured that certianly couldnt hurt. Has anyone crunched the numbers with before and after k&n filter instal?

Don't wanna start a flame war, but K&N filters do not filter as well. Google the tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom