Do alignment shops set at ride height? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed new upper control arms and am about to take it to an alignment shop. is it standard practice to torque the nuts at ride height? that's of course what I did, but do the alignment shops know to do that?

Pretty sure all aligning is done with wheels on the ground so yes that would be at ride height.

I just installed new upper control arms and am about to take it to an alignment shop. is it standard practice to torque the nuts at ride height? that's of course what I did, but do the alignment shops know to do that?
Most shops nowadays could care less on what you did to your vehicle they put it on the rack get the measurements and set it to the specs. on the screen. In my past experience the shop or tech that does alignment don't even understand what they are even doing they look at a screen and get it in the green (Specs.) my last visit to an alignment shop was two years ago and I had to explain to the tech that it was lifted and had a drift to the right he didn't even test drive it even after he made the adjustments which was not bad but didn't fix my drift so I made a U turn and said it still drifts and he said to my face it's within specs. and I ask to put it back on the machine and change the caster a bit on the right side but he argued that it's out of specs. if goes further I said I don't care since Caster is a non wearing angle after the adjustment it went straight down the road like a new vehicle the guy thank me for helping.
Find a shop that understand how a suspension and alignment works and can make the proper adjustments to the vehicle, with the new machines a ten year old could do an alignment doesn't mean he/she will fix any issues you are having pulling or uneven tire wear. I suggest to fill up your gas tank and air up your own tires to what you want as long not below specs. drive the vehicle and retorque the arms before you go in for an alignment.

My alignment shop is fantastic. All of the guys there are racers themselves and suspension experts. They account for type of driving, road crowning, the type of vehicle being aligned, etc.

But I suspect they wouldn't do anything about setting height. I set the height, they dial it in after that. Same with my old Benzes- I set the height using spring pads, then the shop perfects the alignment from there.

I also love the shop that aligned my 100. The guy is a Toyota fanatic and was super familiar with specifically SPC UCA's. He knew exactly what to do to get the factory settings locked in after setting lift on front to 560mm.

IMG_0408.JPG

oh ok so the 2 camber adjustment bolts that go into the UCA don't even get moved during an alignment? why do you need to get an alignment after replacing the UCA then? I lined up my martchmarks perfectly.

When the bushings wear, an alignment job can compensate to bring alignment back to spec. Along comes a new UCA with new bushings and now you’re out of spec (possibly). You have to “un-compensate.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom