Do 2F's tune themselves?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have had my FJ60 for about a month and a half. I have put 5 full tanks of gas through it. For the first two weeks I put 85 octane in it. Third week or so I put a tank of 91 in it. 4-5th week I put 85 octane and a can of Seafoam in the tank. Tonight I put a full tank of 91 octane in it. I have been convinced that the timing on my vehicle was off a little bit for a long time. My truck has run poorly for the entire time I owned it up until I ran an entire can of Seafoam through it and burned the tank down to the fumes, hosed down carb with carb cleaner, and filled the vehicle with 91 octane fuel. It seems to have made a 10 mph+ difference in normal driving situations and a better lower end grunt. I have not checked the timing yet(no gun and not a lot of money) but I plan to soon. I bought the vehicle at an altitude about 2000 feet or more lower than I live at. Do these motors adjust to altitude at all? I don't know much of anything about carburetors(Especially Toyotas) or much of how to tune them. I have researched a little bit and have been lead to believe that they have an Emissions Control Module? Is this similar to the "brain" that was put on similar motors of the time that controlled all the emissions equipment? If so is it capable of "assisting" the ingnition/timing/dist./and air pump? Long shot but I am a total newb to this engine not to mention carbed engines in general.

I am no expert, but I have spent a fair amount of time under the hood of my
FJ60 (1987) and from my experiance there is no electronic system that is going to ajust anything except for maybe vacuum pressure, and I am not sure it will even do that. To be honest, I am not sure what the computer does for this vehicle. Mine may not even work after I got it wet a few times (I like rivers)

good luck with you vehicle

No.

Mark...

Mine Heals itself...

I dunno about you guys, but if I get a weird sound or something under the hood. I just keep driving it. My FJ60 heals itself...it's the "Wolverine" of Cruisers!!

CardinalFJ60 said:
I dunno about you guys, but if I get a weird sound or something under the hood. I just keep driving it. My FJ60 heals itself...it's the "Wolverine" of Cruisers!!

I had a 1954 Cadillac that would heal itself like you described. Just like "Christine". Swear to God.

I had a heart-to-heart with my Cruiser. Over a candlelight dinner. I promised not to beat her up and she promised never to break down. So far, so good.

There is such a thing as the HAC (high altitude compensator). It is basically part of the emissions system. I can't remember exactly what it does but it is not electrical. It works I believe on a vaccum. Also, from what I've been reading lately on this forum it is the sea foam that is your magical cure.

I have only had that kind of rleation ship with my VW's (Bugs & Buses only). I have even spoke to my Cruiser in Japanese and it has not helped alot. However, my Toyotas have been way more reliable than my VW's so maybe we have more of an unspoken kinda of relationship.

On a side note, Yes the FJ60 has a HAC (high altitude compensator) so it will adjust the timing based on altitude.

Dynosoar

JBBenson said:
I had a heart-to-heart with my Cruiser. Over a candlelight dinner. I promised not to beat her up and she promised never to break down. So far, so good.

I need to try this! What did you order for your cruiser? Was she picky?

I hear what CardinalFJ60 is sayin' - I've had a few times where my Cruiser simply ran like crap and I didn't really do anything to change the way it ran. Somehow, someway, it always rebounds and runs good. It seems that so long as I stick to regular maintenance, the Cruiser starts every time and stays on the road.

I recently took a trip from Tacoma (near Seattle), WA to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons (post coming soon - current home improvements are monopolizing all of my free time). I'm pretty sure I got a tank of s***ty gas somwhere in Montana. The Cruiser ran VERY poorly for a couple of days, but didn't let me down or leave me stranded. I checked the plugs, etc. and everything looked good. After a few more tanks of gas, we were running strong again.

I, too, have thought of "Christine" during these odd incidences...

Lawdy, I love Cruisers - Can I get a Hallelujah, people???

Your distributor has two vacuum advance ports. One is driven off standard engine vacuum to adjust spark advance according to engine load. The other is connected to the HAC (high altitude compensation) which advances (I think) timing when at high altitude.

My recommendation is to spend the $15 and purchase the factory emissions manual. This manual describes how all the emissions systems work and provides procedures for engine tune up and emissions systems trouble shooting.

The HAC system only has 4 degrees of possible advance. Pretty meaningless.

Mark...

NorCal Cruiser said:
I need to try this! What did you order for your cruiser? Was she picky?

She of course ordered the most expensive thing on the menu.

Then she picked at it in a listless manner, talking about how she really wanted to become a vegetarian, but needed very expensive implant to do so. But how much better she would feel about herself afterward; self-esteem and all, you know.

Then she gave me those silverstar eyes, you know the ones I mean.

I told her that I will keep her wishes in mind. And that if she must suffer a break down, she should have the decency to do it in the driveway, and not somewhere very remote and inhospitable.

Deal?

JBBenson said:
I told her that I will keep her wishes in mind. And that if she must suffer a break down, she should have the decency to do it in the driveway, and not somewhere very remote and inhospitable.

Deal?

Humm, I guess that hour long tow truck ride she provided for me last year was a cry for help... Well I guess it did get her about $500 in new parts.

My 60 seemed to have a timing problem a few months ago when I dieseled, but it just stopped one day, and has run well ever since.

Mine does tune itself....or an elf lives in my garage.

Through no effort on my part, my truck began to warm-start better than it has in 2 years. All I did was read the post about how to repair the carb-fan temp switch, and VIOLA, it fixed itself. The carb fan still doesnt work, but apparently it doesn't matter to the truck.

Hodag

CardinalFJ60 said:

I just turn the radio up until it goes away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom