2-2F's, Which One? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CRUISERMHK

SILVER Star
Threads
I need the advise of "MUD nation.

I'm doing a full rebuild/semi restoration of a 60. I have an '83 and '85 to build one, The 85 is the basis of the body and frame. Running gear to be determined. Body off of 85, stripped and epoxy primed.

My question is, what determines which 2F is the best candidate for continued use with a refresh. I've driven both and I've felt the 83 was the stronger but I did a compression test on both and now I'm not sure. Below are the results for both.

83 - 140,000 miles, Engine Cold, All plugs look good and consistent, a little oily.
PSI
1- 140, 2 - 130+, 3 - 130, 4- 135, 5- 135, 6- 135

85 - 200,000 miles, plugs good, dry.
1- 150+, 2- 135, 3- 140, 4- 145, 5- 150+, 6- 150+

I'd appreciate any advice and input on which path to head down and best refresh items. I've considered a LS swap but have decided on passing for now.

Much appreciated,

Cheers!
Robin

Check each for hot oil pressure, if you can. All things being equal, I'd sure go for the the engine that shows higher compression. Do both have the needed emission equipment (or perhaps that's already in the truck)?

Slightly lower compression could just be leaky exhaust valves - which are easy to refresh/replace with a cylinder head rebuild.

Last time my cylinder head came off, (290k miles) the machine shop said all my exhaust valves were leaking / and yes, my compression was low.

Slightly lower compression could just be leaky exhaust valves - which are easy to refresh/replace with a cylinder head rebuild.

Last time my cylinder head came off, (290k miles) the machine shop said all my exhaust valves were leaking / and yes, my compression was low.

Lugging the engine will burn the exhaust valves; easy to do with a torque-at-low-rpm engine like a 2F.

Check each for hot oil pressure, if you can. All things being equal, I'd sure go for the the engine that shows higher compression. Do both have the needed emission equipment (or perhaps that's already in the truck)?
Steve,
What do yo mean by "have the needed emission equipment"? The '85 is a Colorado truck and has most all of the emission elements as far as I can tell. The '83, a Kansas vehicle has had some removed I'm sure.

I intend to do cylinder head rebuild for sure.

Thanks. I can do the '83 but the '85 is just in a roller without radiator etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom