Dmax450! Casper gets a duramax! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update for today. Like an idiot I warped this hood a good bit and I’m paying for it now. Laying down body filler, sanding it off, laying it down again...and more sanding. I planned on having the hood painted today...looks like it’s going to be tomorrow now.

good news is, once I finish the hood...that’s one less obstacle. Had some parts come in, hood badges, arp flywheel bolts, Allison trans cooler adapter, and the remote oil filter setup.

Man PPE really went crazy with all the stickers lol!
453B07BC-9A60-42C0-9275-6F5A923CA82D.jpeg
BF6CDFA2-4983-4A79-A4E0-260CF5644F83.jpeg
C048E5F1-74E1-4AA2-841A-8212D684AD95.jpeg
1CDB7636-4A32-4C4B-8A85-89C1053C7D21.jpeg

Finished the hood up yesterday. It turned out decent, I’m not a body guy but it looks way better then what I started with!
93E39F73-9509-45F9-89C3-363964CCC29D.jpeg

I need to finish engine mounts, trans mount, oil pan and pickup this week. Once those things are done I can go ahead and put the springs back in and see how the truck is going to sit with the extra weight.

F29A7007-F947-480D-8112-2C8059180816.jpeg

Also, my northwest trail fab rear bumper came in as well. Need to build it and get it to powder coating.

well this is exciting.......... i'm predicting broken bits on the trail is a possibility. Although most of the 6bt guys seem to have made it through without major breaks.

well this is exciting.......... i'm predicting broken bits on the trail is a possibility. Although most of the 6bt guys seem to have made it through without major breaks.

I guess it’s one of those things.....just get it done and driving and pick up whatever falls off haha. I already plan on upgrading axles. My biggest concern is the transfercase.

I guess it’s one of those things.....just get it done and driving and pick up whatever falls off haha. I already plan on upgrading axles. My biggest concern is the transfercase.

T-case is the one thing I wouldn't be worried about

dang looks like I was beaten to it lol

According to the guy in australia they destroyed a few of them on the 105. I think the 105 shares the same tcase as the 80z

Could be..... but I'd still say worry about the diffs, axle shafts and drive shafts before that.

This thing is friggen awesome though and tells me an Allison will at least fit in an 80.... which is good news by itself.

According to the guy in australia they destroyed a few of them on the 105. I think the 105 shares the same tcase as the 80z

I wonder what the scenarios were there? The 1HZ produces quite a bit less power than the 1FZ. Weren’t all of the 105’s equipped with the 1HZ? There are Saudi’s pushing over 1000HP with the HF2AV, and plenty of 4/6bt’s that haven’t had issues with it. I really don’t think it will be anything to worry about unless you’re absolutely thrashing it, and then, like @lt1fire said there are plenty of other weaker links.

I wonder what the scenarios were there? The 1HZ produces quite a bit less power than the 1FZ. Weren’t all of the 105’s equipped with the 1HZ? There are Saudi’s pushing over 1000HP with the HF2AV, and plenty of 4/6bt’s that haven’t had issues with it. I really don’t think it will be anything to worry about unless you’re absolutely thrashing it, and then, like @lt1fire said there are plenty of other weaker links.

I didn’t think it would be a issue personally. George esters told me these things are about bullet proof. I guess that’s the joy of being first lol! Now I get to find out what breaks and what doesn’t.

I still have a long road ahead of me and lots of money to spend. Just words of wisdom to anyone wanting to try this swap. It takes a lot of custom fab....and a lot of money. Probably easier to stick with the ls swap.

Last edited:
Well, I for one, am enjoying/appreciating the journey!

Well it’s a waiting game at the moment for parts. My goal is to be running by Christmas...but I’ll have to see about that. A lot of work needed to be done in a short period of time!

So today I had the joy of pulling my Holley terminator standalone harness back out of my truck. I think I said when I put it in I’d never remove it. I ran it through the firewall grommet and it looked great. I basically destroyed the grommet removing it....so not sure if I can even buy another one at this point.
91C4394C-3595-46D8-B4F5-FF99D57BC317.jpeg

Also removed the bolts holding in the brake booster and plan on pulling it and the master cylinder out tomorrow. I’m going to try and retrofit in the duramax master cylinder and hydroboost. Driving the truck with the ls swap, the brakes weren’t bad...but not great either. From what I understand most hydroboost usually double the amount of pressure at the caliper compared to the stock setup. So with the extra power and weight, shouldn’t have a issue stopping!
7EAC48D1-78B3-4232-BF79-B58B720E317E.jpeg

I also tried to grab the part number off the ac compressor. Living in the south, ac is and absolute must! Being I now have a fancy tig welder, going to try my hand at building some custom ac lines again!
0D36CA1C-9BB2-4C91-8500-42FAC97C6FA6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom