DIY Wiring Tools? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't solder anything that will experience vibration or flexing. The solder makes wires brittle and will break. If you notice from the factory, the only things soldered are things that connect directly to a circuit board, etc. and have some sort of strain relief to protect the soldered area from flexing/vibrating

I think it should be noted that properly splicing wires using solder and an adhesive heat shrink is far superior to using a basic crimp with automotive store tools. Lineman splice is the way to go

See page 71 of attached Nasa STD 8739.4a

Attachments

• nasa-std-8739.4a.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
Maybe I should get someone to wheel it for me, too. Hmmm...
fires-not-caused-by-car-accidents.jpg

Western Union splice is the bomb!! Linemans for you younger whipper snappers! @Somebodyelse5

I think it should be noted that properly splicing wires using solder and an adhesive heat shrink is far superior to using a basic crimp with automotive store tools. Lineman splice is the way to go

See page 71 of attached Nasa STD 8739.4a
That NASA document doesn't say that a solder joint is superior to a crimp, and is careful to mention in multiple locations that solder joints are more brittle and prone to breaking from flexing and stress. The only pros they really mention are size and weight.

From wire harness manufacturer CAI:
Crimped connections are more flexible, heat-resistant and vibration-resistant than soldered ones which have greater potential for wire fatigue and stiffening. Crimping is often more consistent than soldering, which can vary according to method or technician. Meanwhile, the crimp-on process is simple, quick and easy to repeat when you know what you’re doing. Properly crimped wire strands can create a “cold weld” in which the pressure is so great that the metals and their oxide layers form on a micro-level. That’s why crimping is the technique of choice in industries, such as aerospace and automotive, which demand the strongest, most reliable connections and can’t risk the degradation of filler metals.

I will still stand by saying in an automotive context, 99+% of wiring should be crimped, and solder should be used sparingly and only when crimping is not possible or the wire connection is very well protected from flexing and vibration. Solder should almost never be used on sensor wiring as the solder adds resistance and could affect the signal

I think we agree way more than you may think :) I crimp my terminations... lugs, plugs, connectors.... I am not, by any means, suggesting that soldering is superior across the board.

I'll still say that in a mid span splice or wire repair situation, I will go for a soldered lineman splice with an adhesive backed heat shrink over a standard automotive crimp. From a mass perspective, the butt crimp is heavier and you now need to secure the wire or risk it flopping around. Sure you get a stiffer joint with solder, but you also get a lighter joint that won't deflect as much and doesn't *need* to be as flexible. (and don't over crimp, you'll work harden the strands!)

This part is my opinion... Unless you have a good set of ratcheting crimpers, which most car folks don't know exist, the chances of a light or over crimp are a lot higher than anyone likes to admit. I can visually see a bad cold solder joint easier than I can see a bad crimp. Anecdotal, but I guess I am paranoid about my crimps and always second guess them... so, I have ratcheting and hydraulic crimpers for the various sizes.

Right place and a right time is really the point I guess. Neither is always right or always wrong and how you actually execute the method plays a big part.

Last edited:
I think we agree way more than you may think :) I crimp my terminations... lugs, plugs, connectors.... I am not, by any means, suggesting that soldering is superior across the board.

I'll still say that in a mid span splice or wire repair situation, I will go for a soldered lineman splice with an adhesive backed heat shrink over a standard automotive crimp. From a mass perspective, the butt crimp is heavier and you now need to secure the wire or risk it flopping around. Sure you get a stiffer joint with solder, but you also get a lighter joint that won't deflect as much and doesn't *need* to be as flexible. (and don't over crimp, you'll word harden the strands!)

This part is my opinion... Unless you have a good set of ratcheting crimpers, which most car folks don't know exist, the chances of a light or over crimp are a lot higher than anyone likes to admit. I can visually see a bad cold solder joint easier than I can see a bad crimp. Anecdotal, but I guess I am paranoid about my crimps and always second guess them... so, I have ratcheting and hydraulic crimpers for the various sizes.

Right place and a right time is really the point I guess. Neither is always right or always wrong and how you actually execute the method plays a big part.
I can't say that I disagree with you on anything you said here. I used to redo crimps all the time after they failed a pull test, and I eventually did buy a ratcheting crimper. That was a lifesaver and definitely has made my wiring work faster, cheaper, and more reliable. By the time I threw out sections of wire and ruined a bunch of crimp connectors, I had paid for ratcheting crimpers 3-4x over

My 2 cents, having worked installing AC and DC electrical systems in mobile command and communication trucks.
- Flush cutters
- Cable cutters
- Wire stripper. Can be manual or auto; if manual go for a higher quality, since cheap ones don't work very well.
- Ratcheting crimp tool with interchangeable jaws. Name brand ones are expensive; I got a cheap eBay special for personal use and it has been great.
- Heat gun, preferably with a selection of different nozzles
- For repairing factory wiring, a set of de-pinning tools specific to your vehicle.
- Cable lug crimper. I've only used manual ones (and a ~$2000 electric crimper), so I can't comment on the hydraulic versions.
- Decent multimeter. For full functionality, get one with an AC/DC amp clamp.

In terms of materials:
- Use pure copper wire. Don't cheap out on copper clad aluminum.
- Good quality heat shrink crimp terminals (ring, spade, butt connectors, etc). Cheap ones will work, but the more expensive ones have better heat shrink material and make a stronger crimp. NSPA Krimpa-Seal and Opti-Seal terminals and connectors are really nice.
- Heat shrink tubing. I really like the adhesive lined stuff, makes a good, watertight seal.

I tend to prefer using crimps over solder sleeves, if you use quality terminals and adjust your crimper to make a solid crimp it will be every bit as good as a solder sleeve, if not better. Do whatever it takes to familiarize yourself with wiring diagrams, how they work and how to read them, and always take a logical, step-by-step approach to troubleshooting.
^^^ This

The crimp vs solder debate will go on forever, don't get bogged down in it, they both have their pros and cons. I worked for a wiring harness manufacturer for several years, 99% of connectors were crimped, only a few special applications were soldered. On my vehicles I use both depending on where it's located, how much vibration it will see, etc.

Definitely get ratcheting crimpers, I've used them for 20 years and it's the easiest way to get the best crimped connection.

The best thing you can do is learn to read wiring diagrams, the Toyota EWD has a section in the front that's worth reading and find whatever sources you can for "How to read Automotive wiring diagrams/schematics". Reading electronic schematics or schematics for your house are different, you need to specifically look for info sources specific to automotive.

Also when working with wiring diagrams, you best friend is a set of colored markers. Read the colors for each wire and then actually color the printed wiring diagram. This will take a little time but can prevent a lot of mistakes.
Fine point colored markers - Amazon link
I used silver sharpies for grey (these are paint pens so they work great on metal as well)
Sharpies - Silver, Gold, Bronze - Amazon link
For wires with a colored stripe (which is very common on vehicles), such as Grn/Ylw I alternate between green and yellow on the same wire about every half to one inch so I always know that wire has a stripe.

As you learn more and wire more, eventually you can make your own wiring diagrams, if you are doing custom work to your own vehicle, make notes and stick them in a safe place such as in the owner's manual or laminate them and put them near the custom / modified wiring.
This can save you a lot of time later, and possibly avoid a lot of frustration. If the previous owners of all our vehicles left us notes about the wiring, we'd all be much better off.

You are likely the next person to work with the wiring again, set your future self up for success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom