DIY Coolant Valley Leak Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good. Be very careful with the coolant transfer tube. Make sure the orings are wet and it slides in smoothly. Mine was pinched so I had to tear it down again.
For sure. I’ll clean and lube. I have such a mess I’m worried about chips falling onto the coolant hole. I’ll need to plug those up and start chipping

I agree, it's a narrow, long, machined surface, in a high-heat area, with 200 degree pressurized coolant on one side of it. I would not expect that gasket to last forever. I have not worked on a UR, so I'm curious on how hard the intake is to get off. On a UZ it's an hour or so at most.

Maybe this is analogous for a Subaru EJ25 head gasket failure. Folks will replce them at 125K....only to have to do them again at 250K.

Looks good. Be very careful with the coolant transfer tube. Make sure the orings are wet and it slides in smoothly. Mine was pinched so I had to tear it down again.

This, to me, was the most critical part of the whole job. It really sucks to find out you pinched the o-ring and you have to immediately do the job again.

Granted, it’s notably easier to do it the second time as it’s all fresh in your head, but man is it a mental blow.

Glad the thread is helping still, but also…sorry it’s required.

One other critical thing is to make absolutely sure to blow out the valley plate bolt holes with compressed air. I thought they were clean, but a ton of coolant came spraying out once I shot them with a blow gun. That would have absolutely squeezed up and fouled the FIPG when torquing the plate down.

F********** ME. I lubed the s*** out of that tube. This sucks. I think it has to be the tube bc it just straight dumped out. Is there a TSB that specifies if you’re supposed to keep the tube on the plate when mounting or if you pre mount it in the WP? It’s got me wondering if there is a better lube than silicone spray. I’m also wondering if I can straighten the tube out from the water pump cavity- likely not… dang.

IMG_7707.jpeg

Last edited:
F********** ME. I lubed the s*** out of that tube. This sucks. I think it has to be the tube bc it just straight dumped out. Is there a TSB that specifies if you’re supposed to keep the tube on the plate when mounting or if you pre mount it in the WP? It’s got me wondering if there is a better lube than silicone spray. I’m also wondering if I can straighten the tube out from the water pump cavity- likely not… dang.

View attachment 3572592
Ah man! I imagine the job to get back down to it is way quicker now that you’ve done it already. (Sorry, trying to find a silver lining).

I used Sil-Glyde brake lubricant for the o-rings. It’s kind of sticky, so I think that helped the o-rings stay put maybe?

View attachment 3572592
Man that sucks! I think you're right it's the tube. Mine looked just like that. I kept my coolant tube in the plate because it just felt like my best shot of getting it in there straight but I still wasn't super confident. I am sure you'll get it right this time.

I left the foam piece out on the front so I could get a cheap boroscope in there to see what was going on. Luckily it wasn't leaking the second time but I would have been a nice tool to pinpoint the leak.

All done- no apparent leak. That was a lot easier this time. Still a pain but not terrible. I will update with some very important ideas no one else has mentioned with some difficult parts.

UPDATE: Follow OP’s BRILLIANT and extremely helpful guide and photos. Here are my lessons that were only learned the 2nd time around.
  1. Do not do the radiator, water pump, belt, and tensioner at the same time. There is zero benefit and you don’t save time or coolant. I ended up having to do the CLV twice only to find out my new radiator was busted. So I had to do that twice too. Not my easiest weekend!
  2. For disassembly- keep your bolts in the holes that came from. As long as you do that- you’re not going to “forget” what goes where. All the hoses and connectors all memory back nicely.
  3. The intake manifold removal is not hard with these tips.
    1. Disconnect 2 fuel lines. Spread the orange cover out and slide it down. Then get some old school, slip joint pliers to compress the sides to slide connector off. 4 minutes.
    2. Take a long, thin flat head screw driver and properly operate the rear right clip. 2 minutes.
    3. The left clip needs to be broken but mine barely looked broken. Take a large flathead and try to pry at the clip. Get as close as possibly and then muscle it. It almost immediately broke free- very clean.
    4. The toughest part is rear left manifold bolt. The easiest thing is to utilize the torx center of the bolt and an impact hex extension (4ish”). Be prepared to shear this- have some spares. However- I also did it by sliding a 1/4” drive 12mm socket onto the bolt head with a 1/4” extension- then I stand it up to reach from the vertical. It’s not easy- have a bore scope and grab tool or just have plenty of extra tools bc retrieval is easier after the intake is off. Come to think of it - stuffing some shop rags behind it might have save me an hour of retrieval.
      IMG_7731.jpeg
  4. The rest is easy to get off and takes 10-15 minutes by following the OP photos.
  5. Doing the FIPG- I think 3-4mm is too much. I did 3-4mm the first time and flattened it out with a moist finger. After removal of the 1st seal job- it actually looked pretty good but was more than needed.
This is my first job- I spread it out. As s***ty as this looks- the final result shows it would have worked fine.
IMG_7689.jpeg

Here is after I pried attempt 1 off. The top plate has imperfections bc it’s “flexible” molded part. The engine is machined and was much cleaner. Two machines surfaces could use a gasket that compresses to almost nothing. You can see the black filling the imperfections.
IMG_7726.jpeg

Before you start laying a bead, lube up the orings and tube with something good and practice multiple times pushing the tube in and out of the plate. Watch how any angle tries to roll the ring. Then actually practice the mounting of the whole plate and tube into the water pump and valley. The technique I used was the 2nd youTube video posted early in the thread. You can also thread a bolt in the front hole of the CV plat for a handle. I recommend this.

IMG_7728.jpeg

IMG_7724.jpeg

Last edited:
7. Lay your bead and mount. I left the rear stud on for guidance but the only focus should be on the straight entry of the tube into the Wp.
8. Let the FIPG cure/setup for an hour and then put everything back on up to the intake manifold. Leave the manifold off and TEST! I had my brother put his finger over this tube fitting and poured antifreeze. I recommend just putting a clear 3/8” tube on it and running it over the hood- you get to see the level too!
View attachment 3576062

If there are no leaks then proceed with reassembly. A big time saving tip here is to go ahead and insert the rear left bolt in the manifold hole before putting it in the engine bay. Getting that bolt in the hole otherwise is a problem and you’re likely to drop it down into neverland.

I left off all of that sound deadening foam. This was admittedly an unintentional omission but when i was fully assembled I have loved the peace of mind by having a clear view into the CVP. I can easily put a borescope to check the water pump tube and plate for leaks. It’ll help with future PCV valve replacement.

I threw a MAP sensor code. It was due to a loose wire which I soldered back into the waterproof connector- good as new.

If I had to do this a 3rd time I bet I could do it in under 4 hours but I don’t want to find out! I just want to reiterate to do several lubed dry runs of the CV plate and tube installation before applying the FIPG. And remember, YOU’VE GOT THIS!

Pic of oring and the havoc it caused.

IMG_7724.jpeg

IMG_7707.jpeg

I know how gutted you felt. Doing things this invasive only to see them fail....UGH!!! Perseverance baby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom