Disributor questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20201014_145002_HDR.jpg
20201014_144932.jpg
can anyone help me here with info on the distributor differences here? The one I installed has the vacuum diaphram coming out opposite of what I am used to seeing. The one not installed is like the others I have. These are both electronic pick ups, but does the installed one being opposite mean it's vacuum advance? Which one should I use? Usually I feel pretty knowledgeable, but not about distributor retard/advance stuff. This is a 2f that's been desmogged, going to run headers and an Aisin carb. Any info would be appreciated, thank you- Matt

The second photo is a vacuum retard. The one on the left in the first photo is a vacuum advance.

The rotation of the distributor is CW (looking down at it). If the vacuum on the diaphragm pulls the contact plate CCW, it's advance. If the vacuum on the diaphragm pulls the contact plate CW, it's retard. In addition to a single advance or single retard diaphragm, some Toyota distributors have two (aiding) advance diaphragms, and some Toyota distributors have an advance and a retard diaphragm. It depends on the year and the market.

Obviously, you want vacuum advance, but the vacuum has to come from the correct location and be appropriate for the operating condition.

Last edited:
The second photo is a vacuum retard. The one on the left in the first photo is a vacuum advance.

The rotation of the distributor is CW (looking down at it). If the vacuum on the diaphragm pulls the contact plate CCW, it's advance. If the vacuum on the diaphragm pulls the contact plate CW, it's retard. In addition to a single advance or single retard diaphragm, some Toyota distributors have two (aiding) advance diaphragms, and some Toyota distributors have an advance and a retard diaphragm. It depends on the year and the market.

Obviously, you want vacuum advance, but the vacuum has to come from the correct location and be appropriate for the operating condition.
Thank you, much appreciated!

A 2F that came with the rig had toasted centrifugal weight bushings. It is prone to rust internally; ozone is created by points. This distributor is probably a paperweight, or museum piece.

I doubt that the diaphragm on the vac advance unit is worth much with age. New diaphragms can probably be had.

I can't tell much difference not running the vacuum connection on a spark advance distributor.

Some OEM carburetors have a vacuum advance port, or an EGR port that's suitable for distributor vacuum advance. Others do not, and have to be modified. If you want to run a vacuum advance distributor you'll need a carburetor with ported vacuum. Take a look here Dizzy FAQ for more distributor information. If your advancer is shot, I have a supply of new Toyota/NipponDenso advancers to fit many different Land Cruiser distributor applications.

Just had 4Cruiseres rebuild my dizzy with new vacuum advance and it is truly a work of art and professional in every way.
What is this you speak of? The vacuum advance on my 78 is plugged up. A new OEM dizzy is not cheap... And not sure I want to go with Cardone aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom