DISREGARD: Real Time Help (or Monday) - Rolled Jeep Cherokee SW of Reserve NM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please disregard. My friend will have a wrecker out tomorrow to get the Jeep back on its tires, and then another friend has a truck and trailer to get it home for him. Thanks for your concern. Evan

Hello everyone - Evan here. I haven't been around much lately as I'm swamped with search and rescue lately. Anyway, I have an issue that I wanted to share with this group and ask for some help. I have a friend (Melvin) with an older Jeep Cherokee (not a Toyota, I know). He's out hunting with his dog and he rolled his Jeep. He had a slow motion roll and ended up on its roof. He's at 33.51907 -108.94340, which is SW of Reserve. From Google Maps, it looks like the easiest way to get there is down to Socorro, then west on Hwy. 60 to Quemado, then south and west to Reserve on Hwy 180.

The Jeep is sitting on its roof and doesn't appear to be leaking any fluids (which is good), but it probably take at least a couple of vehicles with winches to safely get it back on its tires and go from there.

I am just recovering from Covid, and may still be testing positive, so it's probably not great for me to be out there. But I wanted to get this out there and see if anyone may be able to help. It sounds like he's OK to spend the night (or two), but tomorrow during the day might be the best option if anyone is available.

Please let me know if you might be available or if you have questions. I would also be interested about what should be done to avoid engine damage (on start-up) if it's sitting on its roof overnight. I am thinking all the oil is draining "down" into the cylinders. It would probably make sense to at least pull the plugs and crank the engine? And then have some back-up oil to refill if needed...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Evan,
Timing may not work for your friend but I'm headed to Las Cruces midweek but could swing through Reserve Tuesday.
I have a winch and the usual recovery gear.

Yes, the plugs should be pulled and the engine cranked to spit out the oil in the cylinder chambers.Also, if it an automatic it may need fluid.
I learned all this by watching Matt's Off Road Recovery!

It might be useful if your guy could possibly post photos of the scene to provide planing options to any potential recovery folks.

Hmmm I don't think Ive ever turned anything upside down without a leak. Even the gel batteries don't like being upside down. Agreed with @juane an auto can dump fluid.
by older jeep cherokee, like early 80's full size or XJ unibody compact?
Tomorrow is rough but I might be able to do Tuesday also

Evan,
Timing may not work for your friend but I'm headed to Las Cruces midweek but could swing through Reserve Tuesday.
I have a winch and the usual recovery gear.

Yes, the plugs should be pulled and the engine cranked to spit out the oil in the cylinder chambers.Also, if it an automatic it may need fluid.
I learned all this by watching Matt's Off Road Recovery!

It might be useful if your guy could possibly post photos of the scene to provide planing options to any potential recovery folks.
Juane - I just posted up a "disregard" notice, but thanks for the offer of help. Thanks also for the suggestions about getting it up and running.

Hmmm I don't think Ive ever turned anything upside down without a leak. Even the gel batteries don't like being upside down. Agreed with @juane an auto can dump fluid.
by older jeep cherokee, like early 80's full size or XJ unibody compact?
Tomorrow is rough but I might be able to do Tuesday also
Hey Grant - I don't know my Jeep terminology very well, but yes I think it was a XJ unibody, not like a big Wagoneer type. I just posted a "disregard notice". It sounds like he has it handled, but thanks for the offer.

Whew,

Glad he got sorted out!

All's well that ends well. He was down in the Gila about halfway between Reserve and the Catwalk, in other words, a long way from Abq. He was alone except for his aging German Shepherd. Luckily the dog wasn't injured (or worse) during the roll and my buddy banged up his leg somehow. I called the Catron County Sheriff last night to see if they would mind getting out there and checking on him (my buddy's phone died and it's a miracle that he even had a cell signal out there). Found out later that the Sheriff was happy to check on him and even gave him and the dog a ride back to Quemado last night. Hopefully the vehicle extraction and transport goes well today and this evening.

good news, thanks for the followup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom