Dilemma - Should I buy a 2021 Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang, asking for opinions really drives up the number of replies (big shocker). I wonder if this was a genuine post or a plant?

Take the 90 grand, throw it at some ARK funds, some crytpo, and a total market fund. Wait 2-3 years, then go buy that '21 with the free money instead after a soccer mom eats the depreciation and never takes it off the pavement.

PSA: Most people who say they can afford 90-100k on a vehicle have a very different definition of "afford". Personally, Unless I have multiple millions at my disposal, the opportunity cost is just too high to justify it. The lack of real retirement savings in this country is going to be a nuclear bomb for the economy soon, and I predict for the middle class, it will come back to ridiculous vehicle purchases. Just my useless .02 that no one was asking for though.

Last edited:
Take the 90 grand, throw it some ARK funds, some crytpo, and a total market fund. Wait 2-3 years, then go buy that '21 with the free money instead after a soccer mom eats the depreciation and never takes it off the pavement.

PSA: Most people who say they can afford 90-100k on a vehicle have a very different definition of "afford". Personally, Unless I have multiple millions at my disposal, the opportunity cost is just too high to justify it. The lack of real retirement savings in this country is going to be a nuclear bomb for the economy soon, and I predict for the middle class, it will come back to ridiculous vehicle purchases. Just my useless .02 that no one was asking for though.
Well said! Me personally I don’t know even if I had millions that I would want to take the dealership hit on a 100k vehicle over a hard on for some bbs 5 spokes “heritage”

Overall I’m not a Complete hater As I’m actually looking for a 2016-2017 lx570 for my wife now

If you have the means then go for it.
Its the circle of the Cruiser, buy a new one and sell it 15 to 20 years later to someone who cant guy a brand spanking new one (like me )

Somebody has to eat the first year or two of depreciation on a new vehicle... Then again, you will never be able to buy a new LC in the USA after 2021 :poof:

Having a 100 and 200 is fun. I prefer driving the 100 since it is smaller. My wife prefers the 200 since it is a heck of a lot smoother and quieter than my 100. Gas mileage sucks in both of them.

I say go for the 200.

There are not many 2021 Land Cruisers available in California and the Heritage Edition is even harder to find. But I lucked out. My local dealer has a Magnetic Gray Heritage Edition, 5 passenger, being delivered in Mid April! It's the exact one I've been looking for and have reserved it!

Chris

I'm not optimistic about a "fair deal" with how few there are around here. But we'll see.
I wouldn't hold your breath there, it sounds like all allocations have been made at this point, so you may need to just start calling dealers until you find one.

I just got the call from the dealer that mine has been unloaded off the boat, and should be arriving in the next 14 days. WOOWOO

I just got the call from the dealer that mine has been unloaded off the boat, and should be arriving in the next 14 days. WOOWOO
Probably on the same boat as mine!

Probably a good situation to be in since I can afford it but still a hard choice. I have a well maintained 2003 LC with 220K miles and zero rust. I'm the original owner. It has Slee step sliders, Bora spacers. It's my daily driver and I still love driving it.

So now that Toyota will no longer sell LC's in the US after 2021 and stock is dwindling I'm thinking I should jump on a new one while I can. Probably go for a Heritage Edition if I can find one to have a 5-seat model. Any fender bender would probably total my 100 and I would not be able to get a new one at that time. And sorry if I offend anyone, but I find the Lexus grill one of the ugliest things I have ever seen on a large vehicle so I would not be getting one of those.

I have driven a friends 2018 LC so I know how they drive and I doubt the 2021 is really any different. They aren't sold in my area so I need to go a couple hours away (Sacramento) to test drive one.

If I got a new one, I would likely keep the 100 and start building it more for off-roading.

Opinions? What are others doing with this situation?

Thanks,
Chris

Go for it – new or secondhand – an era is ending!! A story ....

My first Land Cruisers were FJ40’s – work vehicles for getting around minesites or out in very rough bush where a mine might be developed one day, plus weekend trail adventures. Short wheelbase, tough, rough, uncomfortable, would climb a cliff if required, jump mountains in single bound supermanstyle, swim waterways on front tippy-toes with snorkel and a floormat in front of the radiator to keep the fan blades at bay – but indestructible, superseded the struggling Land Rovers, Jeeps and others of the day by a LOT!! Then came the FJ55 and FJ60. I skipped the 80 series (sadly) but arrived at a HZJ105 with solid axles and factory diff locks everywhere (really a magnificent 80 series disguised in new clothes), then came a lapse into luxury in a run of LC100’s, culminating in the last of the breed. This was the top-of-line called Sahara in Australia (even though Sahara is in Africa!), acquired second-hand in 2009 with all trimmings including 1HD-FTE turbodiesel and even AHC (rare in Australia on Land Cruisers, standard on LX470). This last “100” held my interest and affection for 11 years – and still does – although now it is driven mainly by my son-in-law. I only have visitor’s rights -- limited by distance and interstate COVID restrictions! There was no need to rush into a 200 series until Toyota let it be known that the V8 turbodiesel 1VD-FTV engine would be consigned to history in 2021. This heralded the end of an era. For me, a real Land Cruiser must have a ladder-frame chassis, and a big diesel engine – and lately, as much comfort as possible! I had to have a new one. I could not go without!! Mrs Indrocruise relented, said I could have a new Land Cruiser but not two Land Cruisers of any kind. The children and grandchildren were thanked for the reduction in their ever-shrinking inheritances! So the LC200 arrived in October 2020 and completed my decline into luxury, with my FJ40’s of the ‘70’s now only a very vague, wistful memory, back pain long forgotten. I do miss the AHC on our last LC100 – especially the adaptive TEMS damping system, great for corrugations (washboards), winding roads and long distance backroad touring – this system is now only available in a modernised, refined AVS form in the current super-expensive Lexus LX and LS models in Australia. Our LC100 with AHC still complete and operational was cunningly retained in the family – so everybody won!

Last edited:
Take the 90 grand, throw it at some ARK funds, some crytpo, and a total market fund. Wait 2-3 years, then go buy that '21 with the free money instead after a soccer mom eats the depreciation and never takes it off the pavement.

It took me until my 30's (now in my 40's) to understand this. The definition of "afford" varies greatly between different people. Most of our friends in similar income brackets live a much fancier life than my wife and I when you compare houses and vehicles. What you can't compare (as they are not visible) are the savings / retirement / emergency fund accounts. We asked the FA for advice on purchasing a piece of land last year. His comment was "that's the same price as a new Corvette, buy the land".

That being said, there will be a time in my life that I will be able to justify $80k vehicles, it just isn't right now.

Just got an update that they're expecting it to arrive on 4/9!
Congrats! Picking it up in ME or TX? If you don't mind me asking, what's the SWH stand for?
I test drove the 2016 they have at Downeast Toyota in Brewer ME this past weekend. I do love the 200's but don't want to give up the 100 and the wife won't let me sell the spare vehicle to fund it. And having 4 vehicles between two drivers probably isn't the best idea.

Congrats! Picking it up in ME or TX? If you don't mind me asking, what's the SWH stand for?
I test drove the 2016 they have at Downeast Toyota in Brewer ME this past weekend. I do love the 200's but don't want to give up the 100 and the wife won't let me sell the spare vehicle to fund it. And having 4 vehicles between two drivers probably isn't the best idea.

They’re just my initials, nothing fun!

picking it up at Lee in Topsham— I hear you on the vehicle front, this will be #7 for us, two drivers, 4 car garage, 1 patients wife... at least we’ll be talking 3 down to tx when we move part-time in August

Just did it. Picked up a 21 HE from the dealer in Feb and Sold my 03 lx with 153k in March. As much as I loved the LX, the 21 is so much better.

Toyota even threw in 2.8 % financing so I get to keep my funds invested and hopefully earning significantly more.

Plus pricing on 100 series is at an all time high. Great time to sell!

It took me until my 30's (now in my 40's) to understand this. The definition of "afford" varies greatly between different people. Most of our friends in similar income brackets live a much fancier life than my wife and I when you compare houses and vehicles. What you can't compare (as they are not visible) are the savings / retirement / emergency fund accounts. We asked the FA for advice on purchasing a piece of land last year. His comment was "that's the same price as a new Corvette, buy the land". That being said, there will be a time in my life that I will be able to justify $80k vehicles, it just isn't right now.

And having 4 vehicles between two drivers probably isn't the best idea.
I agree with the first paragraph entirely.

As for the second... Consider all the interesting cars that will never be at the bottom of their depreciation curve again. Did you know that Nick Mason bought his Ferrari 250GTO for only £35k? I think the new Corvette argument is one for quality and timing more so than quantity. But, I may be projecting. 5 is a good balance... for now.

Still waiting for my 2021 HE. It has arrived in the US, just waiting on transport to northern California. It is currently scheduled between May4-10.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom