Dilemma - Should I buy a 2021 Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably a good situation to be in since I can afford it but still a hard choice. I have a well maintained 2003 LC with 220K miles and zero rust. I'm the original owner. It has Slee step sliders, Bora spacers. It's my daily driver and I still love driving it.

So now that Toyota will no longer sell LC's in the US after 2021 and stock is dwindling I'm thinking I should jump on a new one while I can. Probably go for a Heritage Edition if I can find one to have a 5-seat model. Any fender bender would probably total my 100 and I would not be able to get a new one at that time. And sorry if I offend anyone, but I find the Lexus grill one of the ugliest things I have ever seen on a large vehicle so I would not be getting one of those.

I have driven a friends 2018 LC so I know how they drive and I doubt the 2021 is really any different. They aren't sold in my area so I need to go a couple hours away (Sacramento) to test drive one.

If I got a new one, I would likely keep the 100 and start building it more for off-roading.

Opinions? What are others doing with this situation?

Thanks,
Chris

I am just an outside observer here as the newest LC I've driven was a 2015 so I haven't driven the new transmission or truck. However, I have spent some time in the 200 forum and the general comments that I've seen from previous 100 owners are that it's a different driving experience. The 100 is more solid whereas the new ones are still a fantastic driving experience but a little more disconnected, as most new cars are. Not to discount the newer trucks, just comments I've seen...Same comments come from BMW owners who own the F30 and newer cars but previously owned a E46 or E9x era car. (i.e. - me)

I do think the Heritage editions have some protection against depreciation given the decision to remove the LC from the NA market but that likely won't be immediate. While the LX will continue being sold, the diehards will still prefer and lust after the LC. Another option to consider is trying to find a used one in 1-3 years to take some of the financial hit away from the equation.

I think ultimately, as a daily driver, the newer truck will be better for a multitude of reasons, not limited to: less annual maintenance, better interior/tech, warranty, etc. However, it may not give such a connected driving feel, offroad ability and aftermarket support and general understanding by the MUD community. Then there's the obvious $90k + investment on the new truck that could be otherwise directed towards a more dedicated daily driver with better mileage, comfort, etc. if that is your main goal. Other option is to buy a truck that's more dedicated to offroad like an 80 if that's your main goal for the "toy".

I think many folks say that they are going to keep their old truck to modify for off road but then end up getting rid of them after realizing they don't need multiple trucks of the same type and having one just for "fun" if they aren't regularly using it. Disclaimer: I don't know your use/plans for the 100 long term.

This response ended up longer than I anticipated but those are my thoughts and general train of thought on the topic. My wife and I have already decided the 100 is staying in our fleet until it dies but I was also recently in a similar situation of considering picking up a later model 200 (16+) as well but ultimately decided against it. I would rather put that money into another vehicle that serves a different purpose.

We’re doing this currently (our ‘21 HE is on its way to our local dealer). My wife is going to daily the ‘21 for a while, we’ll keep building out our 100 as a trail rig, and then the 200 will eventually take over that role.

This is the last chance to own a 20-year-old 1-owner V8 land cruiser in 20 years, and that’s what pushed us over the edge...

You should just be patient and wait to buy the Voltswagen ID.4 ;)

Yeah this topics been touched on and theres three trains of thought on this one. 80/100 or 100/200 or 80/200. They are all different vehicles from different eras of Toyota.

Best I can say, and what I tell people for the 100 vs 200 is this:
Its like the W140 S-class benz vs the W221 Benz is to 100 vs 200.
Its like the Lexus LS430 vs the LS460. Many Lexus fanatics will tell you the LS430 is a superior luxury sedan to the LS460, even though on paper the LS460 trumps it in every way. Yes on paper and specs, and just general beefiness, the 200 series is better, but its doesnt all come down to whats on the paper.

Personally for me, I'm a W140 benz and LS430 kind of guy over taking whats newer and next generation.

Its what your finances dictate. Don't swing for a 200 when the finances aren't there, just not worth it.

Since you can afford it, I say yes, definitely buy it!

You might get relevant input posting in the 200 forum

If you ball that hard or are gonna mall crawl get new 2021. If you want to wheel hard and are going to worry about messing up the 2021 maybe think twice about getting rid of the 100 series.

The 200 bests the 100 in every real (not emotional) category. Anyone telling you otherwise hasn't spent enough time in both on and off-road. If it were me I would get a nice used 16+ not a new 21 though. Let someone else take the hit on a new one.

I paid as much for my first house...(oh, no. I’m my grandfather...)

Then again, it’s easy to spend other people’s money (just ask a politician).

Man, I’m salty tonight. 🤔

I'd say buy it since it's your last chance to own the last of the Cruiser. If you change your mind, you can easily resell considering the solid valuation and upward demand. The fact that you posted this question, you are already somewhat convinced that you want one and that you are ready to shell out the hefty price tag. Go for the HE. Best of luck @cmassa
Bought '21 white Heritage as a safety net while trying my luck on a gray example. If I get lucky, I will eventually sell the white. Not being driven until it's clear that Im keeping her.

Last edited:
Probably a good situation to be in since I can afford it but still a hard choice. I have a well maintained 2003 LC with 220K miles and zero rust. I'm the original owner. It has Slee step sliders, Bora spacers. It's my daily driver and I still love driving it.

So now that Toyota will no longer sell LC's in the US after 2021 and stock is dwindling I'm thinking I should jump on a new one while I can. Probably go for a Heritage Edition if I can find one to have a 5-seat model. Any fender bender would probably total my 100 and I would not be able to get a new one at that time. And sorry if I offend anyone, but I find the Lexus grill one of the ugliest things I have ever seen on a large vehicle so I would not be getting one of those.

I have driven a friends 2018 LC so I know how they drive and I doubt the 2021 is really any different. They aren't sold in my area so I need to go a couple hours away (Sacramento) to test drive one.

If I got a new one, I would likely keep the 100 and start building it more for off-roading.

Opinions? What are others doing with this situation?

Thanks,
Chris
I was in your same spot, decided to buy a new LC.

I've contacted some dealers around here to see if they can find one.
Chris

I've contacted some dealers around here to see if they can find one.
Chris
Hope they find one and give you a fair deal.

I'm not optimistic about a "fair deal" with how few there are around here. But we'll see.

2008? Come on, you’ve been around here long enough to know the saying. Something like buy the newest... lowest something something something.

Oh, I know the saying and I can afford the 2021, just not expecting a "deal". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom