Diffs in BJs ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the difference inbetween a BJ40 and a BJ42 and a bj44 ?

differences

bj-40 short wheel base B-engine

Bj-42 short wheel base like fj-40 more powerful 3-B engine 1983 and 1984 came with 5 speed trannies/ power steering

Bj-44 mid wheel base about 2 feet longer, 2 B engine only made for Japanese market so right hand drive. all vehicles are diesel

bj40 came with 3b and 4 spd /splitcase "armstrong steering" '80+ , i think.

bj40 can be a "b" or a "3b" depending on the year. 42 means PS and 5spd.

i may be wrong.... :D

crusty

The Cdn BJ42 started 1981. It had larger spring eyes, spring hangers, split case, H42, manual steering, and 3B engine. In 1983 the Cdn BJ42 got the H55F and power steering. In 1984 the BJ42 stopped in Canada, and the BJ70 replaced it.

The BJ40 has smaller spring eyes and hangers (ala 1970's FJ40's.) The Cdn BJ40 appeared in 1978, and it evolved to split case and fuel cell under the body before being replaced by the BJ42 in 1981.

There are other changes during the tenure of the Cdn BJ40, before it was dropped and the BJ42 started.

Go to http://www.birfield.com and check out Rob Mullens FAQ as he details many changes in a nice format.

Different markets in the world saw changes at different times, so take all I say with a Cdn slant.

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
The Cdn BJ40 appeared in 1978, and it evolved to split case and fuel cell under the body before being replaced by the BJ42 in 1981.

Close

Split case was a BJ42 thing IE 1981 and later

Fuel tank under body was a '79 and later thing

'81 got big eye springs (as was said before) and p-brake on the rear axle.

'81 also got bigger TREs

'82 got a hump in the ps floorwell in anticipation of the H55f

'83 got the h55f and PS and aluminum dash

'84 lost the hand throttle, got a tach?

lowenbrau said:
84 got a tach?

Nope, nor the clock it seems...though it must have been an option, as my 1984 has space for the clock.

Cool on the split case, I thought it started in 80.

You are confirming a one year window of the fuel cell under the seat in the BJ40? I threw that out there to see as I though the fuel cell went underneath in 79 but...

I've never had a truck with the e-brake on the t-case output. Seems to me a better way then what they went to...?

Thanks

gb

some of the LX model BJ42,43,46 got the optional tach... as well as forward facing rear seats... up graded interiors... sound deadening interior panels....

Confirming 1980 manufacture date BJ42...

It's titled as an 81. I'm assuming it's the 81 model year even though it's produced in 1980. It does have the 3B indicated in the vin & it came with the split transfercase. SDC

I have 84' BJ42 CND version and it has the hand throttle, special dash plate and clock. Oh wait it had the spot for the clock, I added the clock.

http://www.westcoastcruisers.org/moregrumpy.html

Cheers,

Michael

lowenbrau said:
Close

Split case was a BJ42 thing IE 1981 and later

Fuel tank under body was a '79 and later thing

'81 got big eye springs (as was said before) and p-brake on the rear axle.

'81 also got bigger TREs

'82 got a hump in the ps floorwell in anticipation of the H55f

'83 got the h55f and PS and aluminum dash

'84 lost the hand throttle, got a tach?

Greg_B said:
Nope, nor the clock it seems...though it must have been an option, as my 1984 has space for the clock.

Cool on the split case, I thought it started in 80.

You are confirming a one year window of the fuel cell under the seat in the BJ40? I threw that out there to see as I though the fuel cell went underneath in 79 but...

I've never had a truck with the e-brake on the t-case output. Seems to me a better way then what they went to...?

Thanks

gb

I can tell you from the FJ4x series that the tank went underneath in 79' however the 79' thru part 80' still had the e-brake on the back of the t-case it was not split at that point. From mid 80' to 84' the gasser models had split t-case and e-brakes on axle. I do not think the floor changed at all, I thought once they went to fuel tank underneath that was the floor change and stayed the same from that point on.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
I can tell you from the FJ4x series that the tank went underneath in 79' however the 79' thru part 80' still had the e-brake on the back of the t-case it was not split at that point. From mid 80' to 84' the gasser models had split t-case and e-brakes on axle. I do not think the floor changed at all, I thought once they went to fuel tank underneath that was the floor change and stayed the same from that point on.

Cheers,

Michael

They changed that floor a bunch of times for the diesel version. At least one change (in 82) for the five speed and two or three changes to the rear sill between '79 and '84.

Compare an '80, '81 and '82 sometime if you have the chance. They had to keep moving the bump on the side of the tranny tunnel, chasing the t-case around.

You got the throttle eh? Is it the dash to the right of the steering wheel where there was a dash pad in previous years?

lowenbrau said:
They changed that floor a bunch of times for the diesel version. At least one change (in 82) for the five speed and two or three changes to the rear sill between '79 and '84.

Compare an '80, '81 and '82 sometime if you have the chance. They had to keep moving the bump on the side of the tranny tunnel, chasing the t-case around.

You got the throttle eh? Is it the dash to the right of the steering wheel where there was a dash pad in previous years?

Great information. My thottle cable is just below the dash on the right side of steering wheel. included picture of it:
BJ42dash.jpg

yep, typical for all the CND spec 40 series, gas and diesel...same with the 70 series and the 60 series...
another little piece that the state boys covet...
;^)

yep, done that many a time. just don't forget to diengage before entering the city...
sure saves the right foot on long trips...

Late 84 nearing the end of production they added the intkerior hood latch...

Had one of those trucks, never never never never should of sold it.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom