Differences in dimensions between FJ45 2 door long bed pickup and FJ45 "Troopy" version? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OOCustoms

GOLD Star
Threads
OK- I'm getting different answers from different sources, so I figured I'd ask the hive mind here. I have a 1968 FJ45 2 door long bed pickup (square bed with tie down hooks along the sides and tailgate). It has a cab hardtop over the front cab that's open behind the front seats- basically it has no rear panel- the sides extend about 4 inches behind the door frame. The soft top attaches to the rear edge of the hard top, and covers the entire rear bed, with windows on the side and rear. Total length of the body from the edge of the windshield frame to the rear edge of the bed is 127 inches. I THOUGHT that the "Troopy" FJ45 soft top would fit this configuration, just delete the hard top and get the full soft top frame and top for the Troopy- but now I'm hearing that they aren't the same dimensions, and that the Troopy style won't work with the long bed pickup without alterations. As far as I know there are only 4 FJ45 versions- The long bed pickup, the short bed pickup, and the Troopy-which can have either 2 or 4 doors but are the same total length. Are the long bed pick up and 2 door Troopy the same overall dimensions? I can't get a definitive answer.:bang:

Well, I have both and have tried to put troopy bows on an fj45 longbed! The truck is a few inches longer than a troopy! Its close but not a perfect fit.

57528B71-2A1B-46B4-B768-55559A67F159.png

16C5CFC7-C1BA-4566-8093-0DAA8C0B5707.png

77AAF0F3-DF11-4E5D-BFED-C5CA00C7164F.png

C694E42A-6ACA-43B3-AEA3-574FF394026D.png

So that's a Troopy top and frame on there? Almost looks a little too big.

To my knowledge the pickup box overhangs past the end of the frame. LV did not. . As for a 1968 troopy there were none made. The FJ55 replaced the four door FJ45LV after 67. Wasn't until later in the seventies until the two door troopy started. After 67 no 40 series four doors wagons were made. No four door pickups were ever made by Toyota. All were custom made after they left the factory.

Factory troopy top and bows. If you look at the front bow, It needs to go foward a few inches to the b pillar. The whole top needs to go foward about 3 inches to meet the windshield.

Believe long wheel base troopies and pickups share the same length frames. It's the extra length pass the frame that why the pick up is longer. The hole in the Pillar on my 74 production pickup is larger around and not deep enough for the soft top B pillar bow. When I kicked around the idea of making a soft top for just the cab the plan was to cut the B pillar short enough to fit the shallow hole. Sleeve the post to the size of the hole in the cab. The using the cap to cab weatherstriping cut a piece to match. Drill the in the B pillar. Weld that to the B bow. Then use the bolt used in the cap. Could also add metal plates in the five spots the latches are used. I would would also mount the rear bow at the back of cab. Then do the bed separately. Would not use any solid bow between the few inch gap to allow for flex. Probably just a pipe dream but wasn't because of a lack of bows to work with.
IMG_20200912_133952339.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom