Diff breather extension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread above -as always, incredibly helpful. I extended mine a month ago in anticipation of testing them up Kane Cr, in Moab. In the end I went with braided clear hose, since it was a third of the price of the fuel line, which now runs $2+/ft. The linesdo not come in contact with any hot engine/exhaust parts, so I felt this would be ok. Terminated the breather lines in the engine bay with two fuel filters, that allow airflow in and out. I'm only posting this because if someone sees a potential problem with my method/choices, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.
diff breather ext_2.JPG

Certainly will want to put some kind of cap to protect water from getting dropped into it. Think of a cap like this one.

river-raider-mushroom-cap.jpg

The open end of the filters should not be pointing up, could just use some additional hose to point the opening down.

Hi, all. Appreciate all the input, and the multiple solutions to the problem of extending the breather hoses. While fishing for other solutions, found this: 4 Port Diff Breather Kit Toyota Highlander Differential Transfer case filter 4wd. The company is Air On Board, if this ebay page goes away.
Less than the ARB solution, with exposed sintered filters--which might be problematic, in some extreme cases. They have separate kits for the Highlander and the FJ/4Runner/TLC applications.

Now that I've bought 25' of fuel line, I am starting to rethink the rear axle breather. Or maybe overthink. Here's my logic: connecting all the lines together creates one failure point that can impact both diffs, transfer case and transmission - plus the aggravation/complication of running a line all the way from the rear diff.

Why not an inverted bottle over the existing breather? If the diff is an imaginary 9" sphere, 75% filled with fluid and gears (which will experience negligible contraction when cold water hits the rear axle in a water crossing) and assuming the diff goes from 200* operating temp to 30* water temp (worst case, I suppose), the 25% air (95 cu in) shrinks by 26%, or 25 cu in/14 fl. oz. Therefore, if the breather is very close to the top of a 16 oz water bottle, there is virtually no risk of water infiltrating the diff.

Aside from the need to pick a water bottle that's not going to get brittle over time (I'm thinking an old bike water bottle), where am I off base?

A few years ago I extended by front and rear diff breathers. I kept the lines separate...I ran the rear diff breather to just behind the gas cap and the front I ran high in the engine bay, by the master cylinder.

Recently, I thought I might take a look at the trans and transfer case breathers, and noticed they terminate at or in the transmission dipstick. Which one is it? Looks like "in" but that doesn't make much sense.

If it is "at" the dipstick, it would seem pretty easy to pull these lines off the termination point, add a join, then extend to the engine bay along with my front diff breather. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom