Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys,I also replaced on my 105 the aspirated hzj engine with an engine bought at Djibouti hdj turbo,I then replaced the monoblock and pistons new original toyota,the transformation came very well,but I would like to replace the old original turbine CT26 with a new, the old turbine had made 300K kilometers.
Thank you for hosting me in this mythical forum from which I took a lot of ideas
Alex

It is a Turbo ;)

With the old turbine that I had I still did not many kilometers, then one day the turbine stopped working so I sent it from a northern Italian experience that changed the core, probably with something Chinese that lasted very little .
So a friend from Turin provided me with a turbine that I have now assembled, I don't know where it comes from, but if I had to leave for some challenging journey I would be very worried.
Alex

With the old turbine that I had I still did not many kilometers, then one day the turbine stopped working so I sent it from a northern Italian experience that changed the core, probably with something Chinese that lasted very little .
So a friend from Turin provided me with a turbine that I have now assembled, I don't know where it comes from, but if I had to leave for some challenging journey I would be very worried.
Alex

I would try to find one that is correct a replacement , make sure your oil return line is not clogged which leaves oil in you turbo causing failure also after driving a while when you come to the place let it idle for at least 2-3 minutes to drain your turbo/turbine so no oils harden in the bearing surface, most people just start and stop without letting it drain down this kills turbos on gas and diesel engines

Here is a one off adapter for the R2.8 to a NV4500

thumbnail_9599.jpg

thumbnail_9597.jpg

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but has anyone done a 6bt Cummings?

Nowadays, that pretty much IS the thread. Search in the 80’s section, if that’s what you have, for Cummins 6bt, not Cummings. You’ll find tons of threads.

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but has anyone done a 6bt Cummings?
yeah plenty of us have swapped in a Cummins, search will find plenty of detailed builds, mine included.

Hope this is the right place for this post. I recently took delivery of a 1993 Series 80 LC, with diesel swap done by Dave Martin at Back 40 Land Cruisers in Kalispell, MT. He located a good 1993 FZJ80 in WA state, we bought it, and he swapped in the turbo diesel engine and corresponding transmission from a JDM Series 80. Did the rod bearing update before it went in. Also resealed the Birfield joints, did the brakes and shocks- lots of "while you're in there"s. New exhaust, and got all the new ECUs talking to the old stuff already in the truck.

So far, it's a great truck. A few teething pains, but overall Dave's work is excellent and he was very good about keeping me informed on progress and what was needed. Unlike most of the people on this forum, I don't drive off road (at least not on purpose) but I do intend to use the truck in winter weather here in Maryland. It is not lifted, and I am running 285/75-16 Michelin LTX Defender tires on it. ( I think that's the size) They have good grip in the rain and are quiet. Initially I had asked Dave to fit a manual five-speed, but that transmission was quite difficult to find at the time, so we went with an automatic OD with lockup torque converter, which has actually worked out better. For driving in my area, where we have frequent traffic jams, the automatic is better.

I've measured fuel mileage and I am consistently getting better than 20 mpg. I have not taken the truck on a long trip, yet, and expect it will do better. Road trip coming up soon, though, and I think it will better 22 mpg on highway driving.

I can't recommend Dave highly enough. He has been really good to deal with and quickly responsive to questions after the fact. I plan to order the engine and shop manuals from him, and he also stocks maintenance parts as well. He enjoys doing these trucks and it shows in the quality of his work.

My green 1994 Series 80 gasoline LC, very clean but not totally rust free, is for sale on Annapolis MD CL. Nice truck, but I am not driving it anymore :)

Good friend Ken did most of the work. engine was installed level, the tranny sits at about 5 degree slant due to the breadvan adapter plate.
1. 1994 80 series
2. 1994 80 with 4BT/NV4500/Orion. .
3. What went really well with the swap? - the end result.
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap? - everything. not an easy swap.
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? - Intercooled, 3200RPM spring, H1C turbo with 54MM inducer. Boosts to about 22psi, 900F pre-turbo. ~95:1 crawl ration.
6. Driving impressions after the swap- Really loud at idle. And shaky. Would drive you crazy on the trail all day. once over 20mph, it's fine. And after new injectors, much smoother.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap. - don't know. already sold it.
8. overall difficulty of the swap: ***** HUGE pita to install. To make it fit _right_, needed custom exhaust manifold cut from a 6BT, oil pan and pickup tube modified, floorboards clearanced for transfercase, and the NV4500 stick comes up under the dash (picture a SM420 in a landcruiser).
But it drives way way way nicer then a 4BT w/auto. 100x nicer.

YouTube - 4BT Running in 1994 Land Cruiser 80 Series

All gauges work, including the tach. Luckily we had a Proffitts converted 80 to figure out the wiring from... otherwise... phew, good luck. FJ60 hubs on the front, fit perfect (pre-95 birfs are smaller).
View attachment 408686View attachment 408687View attachment 408688
I might be missing it what trans did you use and any info on the manual swap would be appreciated thanks

Looks like he used a NV4500 with an Orion t-case.

Update on diesel-swapped FJ80- runs very well, gets 20-21 mpg on 40 cetane fuel. We HAVE had a problem with inconsistent starting- sometimes it cranks immediately, sometimes it just clicks and won't crank. It didn't do this when it was still with Dave, the problem occurred afterwards, and we are still sorting that out. But overall it runs great, smooth, quiet, lots of torque, and now my only LC since my green one went to a new owner. Cheers, all.

Good friend Ken did most of the work. engine was installed level, the tranny sits at about 5 degree slant due to the breadvan adapter plate.
1. 1994 80 series
2. 1994 80 with 4BT/NV4500/Orion. .
3. What went really well with the swap? - the end result.
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap? - everything. not an easy swap.
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any? - Intercooled, 3200RPM spring, H1C turbo with 54MM inducer. Boosts to about 22psi, 900F pre-turbo. ~95:1 crawl ration.
6. Driving impressions after the swap- Really loud at idle. And shaky. Would drive you crazy on the trail all day. once over 20mph, it's fine. And after new injectors, much smoother.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap. - don't know. already sold it.
8. overall difficulty of the swap: ***** HUGE pita to install. To make it fit _right_, needed custom exhaust manifold cut from a 6BT, oil pan and pickup tube modified, floorboards clearanced for transfercase, and the NV4500 stick comes up under the dash (picture a SM420 in a landcruiser).
But it drives way way way nicer then a 4BT w/auto. 100x nicer.

YouTube - 4BT Running in 1994 Land Cruiser 80 Series

All gauges work, including the tach. Luckily we had a Proffitts converted 80 to figure out the wiring from... otherwise... phew, good luck. FJ60 hubs on the front, fit perfect (pre-95 birfs are smaller).
View attachment 408686View attachment 408687View attachment 408688
Oooh looks good even very good

just woundering as i have a few fj 60s and 2 80s gas looking at ?? puting in the fj60 6 diesel into the lx450
The 2H or 12HT? What tranny? I think the first post in this thread (may be wrong... maybe Stone?) had a 12HT in an 80. Give it a read.

Most will say the 2H will not be a good plan. Many would say the 12HT is a decent option power wise, but getting hard to find parts for, and there are much better options.

Most done swap to date is the 6bt-NV4500 as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom